• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gibbo is getting an R600!!

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
I am not even interested in buying R600, not the high-end ones anyway, but I just want the thing to come out so that we have interesting articles to read and discuss. It's been far too stagnant for the last few months.

Same here as with you Ulf, basically though I had the oppurtunity to get a fast upgrade and since the 8800gts came about I snapped it up gladly, if ATi had their offering ready at the same time I probably would have went for the ATi as I've had greater success with their cards, i.e no borked ones :p
But no they took their time and fair enough if they have a really good product coming.

That being said I am more than happy with my choice of card as for my Res etc its ideal and I dont need anything more powerful, even though id like to lol! But as you said it wil lmake discussions on here a lot better and also provide a nice bit of reading and speculation towards the next round of the gfx card battle :D

Cant wait for the e-penis brigade to be out in force again

Associate
drak3 said:
CnC3 tops out at 1920x1200 let alone the resolutions you describe :( These games are made for online multiplayer environments, therefore is not enought to be able to achive playable framerate on a static scene. You need to maintain playable framerate during the heat of the war were on average there are around 100 objects involved :p
It runs just fine if I turn the FSAA in the options down a notch, so no, it doesnt "top out" at 1920x1200. It runs just fine with hundreds of units on screen at 2560. But, the point was, the engine is old, so newer games will definitely need more than X1950.

megatron said:
IIRC FSAA is an nvidia method, safer to go with driver forced AA. I know 1 game where if I enabled ingame AA I get 1fps, driver forced and its totally sweet (city of villains).
Um, what? FSAA stands for Full Scene Antialiasing, which both nVidia and ATi use. You might be thinking of MSAA (multisampling, which is the form of FSAA that they both do) vs RGSS (rotated grid supersampling) that 3dFX used to do. The FSAA option in CoV might be broken, but its definitely not in CnC3, its just a lot of information to process at 2560x1600.

Associate
What are peoples views on wheather 512mb of memory will be enough for higher resolutions and new games coming out?

I really want one of these for gaming at 1680x1050, would 512mb be good for a while or should I wait for the 1Gb memory version :(

Soldato
dan1987 said:
What are peoples views on wheather 512mb of memory will be enough for higher resolutions and new games coming out?

I really want one of these for gaming at 1680x1050, would 512mb be good for a while or should I wait for the 1Gb memory version :(
Tbh, if you are gonna be playing DX10 games no way they are gonna run smooth with that resolution, yer going to need sli/crossfire.

Soldato
Perfect_Chaos said:
Tbh, if you are gonna be playing DX10 games no way they are gonna run smooth with that resolution, yer going to need sli/crossfire.

you cant really say how DX10 is going to run if a DX10 game hasn't been released, I think when a DX10 game gets released it will clear up a lot of things.

Soldato
AFAIK DX10 isn't any more demanding than DX9, allegedly its better optimised.
I wouldn't worry about it, a 512mb card will handle that res no problems for a while yet, heck I am running a 256 mb card atm @ 1920x1200 with 2 or 4 AA (FEAR perfectly playable at 2xAA, GTL/GTR2/IL2 1946 etc @ 4x) and its only poorly coded stuff that struggles (Stalker, TDU and Arma demo) but thats why I am waiting for the HD2900XT to play those :)

By the time games come out that push it (with exception of poorly coded ones) we will have newer, faster generations of graphics cards.

Soldato
Radeon HD to launch on May 14th

AMD HAS AN interesting R600 Radeon HD launch plan, which could backfire in a rather spectacular manner.
The plan is to invite close to 200 hacks to the Sheraton complex in Tunis, and throw them into the mix with a bunch of AMD and ATI executives.

The problem is that company then plans a three-week silence period in the run up to launch. Nothingh from *** shindig should be posted until May 14th, our sources reveal. In today's world of immediate information, the three weeks in question sound very weird.

We learned that this could be due to late delivery of 65nm RV610LE/610XT/630Pro/630XT chips, but everything should be available in massive quantities. Of course, if there isn't for another mysterious delay that seems to happen regulary to AMD crew these days.

Anyway, just to let you know. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38983

Another month of waiting for the R600.... ill stick with Nvidia GTX there heading in the right direction at least now ;)

Associate
Gotta say I've got a ATI X1800XT 256mb and im still pleased with it running all the games I want.. Sure enough when Crysis and all the other DX10 games are released i'll definetly be getting me one of the new cards.. I'm happy to wait and save a little more dosh and then get the best card out there at the time the DX10 games are released. But there again if the R600 looks promising then i might just be tempted to flog this card at a price that I know im gonna get something half decent back for it and get the ATI......

Last edited:
Soldato
if the 2900 XTX aint gonna be a big boost over the 8800 GTX then how long do i have to wait for a good boost? i thought 6 months was usually enough for a very good boost in performance.

bloody typical now that i want a new card.

Soldato
Perfect_Chaos said:
if the 2900 XTX aint gonna be a big boost over the 8800 GTX then how long do i have to wait for a good boost? i thought 6 months was usually enough for a very good boost in performance.

We dont need a performance boost anyway yet.....

Soldato
Perfect_Chaos said:

Even after 6 months release of a very impressive card your only gonna get a card thats 10-30fps max faster/And usualy thats simply due to better/faster memory being used.

It usualy takes a good 8-12 months before we see a next gen card, Even the 8800 Ultra wont be much more different to the GTX benchmarks there hinting 10-20% faster.

To me Nvidia appears 6 months+ ahead of ATI but im sure thats not 100% especially cos there cards never stop being made/produced so there next gen card may appear even 3 months after the R600 and still outperform anything from Nvidia or vice versa ;)

Back
Top Bottom