• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

@Gibbo - Vega Preorders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Seems the hash rate on VEGA is 70-100 per card, which is insanely good. :(

Trying to devise some kind of plan so gamers can get them at MSRP without the miners wiping all the stock out within 5 minutes of product going live.

Really? I read a review of Vega FE on a mining website last night and it got kind of average reviews for mining, has there been an update to increase performance? If that is true then it seems AMD has found itself a new niche. With the Bitcoin split I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities now for Miners to start hoovering up stocks of Vega cards.

Soldato
I was reading yesterday tho that this new Bitcoin cash is actually good news for us gamers as the hash is now much bigger meaning unless you are running a server farm small scale miners just simply cant mine productively.

Soldato
I was reading yesterday tho that this new Bitcoin cash is actually good news for us gamers as the hash is now much bigger meaning unless you are running a server farm small scale miners just simply cant mine productively.

There's nothing positive about Bitcoin Cash for anybody except the people running exchanges. As soon as trading is possible with it, you'll quickly see the value plummet because there's virtually NO hashpower going towards it so transactions will be taking days to confirm. No one wanted this fork except a few key players :/
As for being good for gamers, it's not affected Bitcoin mining at all - and Bitcoin mining doesn't use GPUs, they use ASICs. All the alt coins like Ethereum, ZCash, LibraryCoin, SiaCoin etc etc are still strong and worth mining (they're the ones using GPUs)

Soldato

How is that even possible? O.O That's more than double what the VEGA FE can manage and the 64 is essentially the same hardware but with less VRAM and less compute orientated drivers.

Where did you get that figure?
I assume he's been playing with the cards that are coming into stock.

My first thought is that it's a mistake and that's not Dagger hashrates or something. Because that is DOUBLE 1080ti (BTC earned) performance. And if it's true you don't need to worry about the cards being hard to find, you need to worry about miners paying so much on auction sites that gamers just flog the ones they do manage to grab for profit lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guy internally from one of the AIB's, maybe he is smoking the BS pipe.

If you could verify that figure I'd appreciate it. The FE figures don't come anywhere near - which would imply some voodoo at work and require investigation :) I highly suspect the FE figure isn't a final figure, but getting anywhere near 100MH/s from one card would be ... madness.

Associate

Trying to devise some kind of plan so gamers can get them at MSRP without the miners wiping all the stock out within 5 minutes of product going live.

Oh no :(! I really need a card for gaming after selling my 290x, I hope the site doesn't crash from everyone trying to get one before its gone.

Caporegime
If AMD really made some tricks to get a cryto hashing monster, which could eb disbaled in drivers, then they would be selling these as separate dedicated crypto cards with a massive markup and leaving the gaming cards alone. It would almost amke sense if the horribly expensive FE cards had mountains of hashing performance which was disabled on the RX cards. Then miners would pay $1200 for FE and gamers would buy the RX.

So I doub't this is the case.

Also, miners are concerned about has rates relative to power consumption. Even if Vega is good, the extra consumption largely cancaels that out.

Soldato
If AMD really made some tricks to get a cryto hashing monster, which could eb disbaled in drivers, then they would be selling these as separate dedicated crypto cards with a massive markup and leaving the gaming cards alone. It would almost amke sense if the horribly expensive FE cards had mountains of hashing performance which was disabled on the RX cards. Then miners would pay $1200 for FE and gamers would buy the RX.

Also, miners are concerned about has rates relative to power consumption. Even if Vega is good, the extra consumption largely cancaels that out.

You doubt or deny anything positive about AMD, so it's not surprising to see.

As for hashrate/watt, you're sort of right and sort of not. There's a lot more to it than that (for the home-miner at least). No one would run 30 cards at 10MH/s (5x 6card rigs) when they could run 12 cards at 25MH/s (2x 6card rigs), even if it cost an extra few dollars in electricity - there's space / management of rigs / heat / other component costs to account for. Then there's the possibility of tweaking performance and power draw of cards - lets say the RX Vega pulls 300W, it's quite feasible to drop that down to say... 180W without negatively affecting the hash speeds. That all said, I'm very sceptical of the 70-100MH/s figure - but 50MH/s could still make it an attractive prospect.

Edit: That's not to say I think it'll hit 50MH/s either, but I'm not ruling it out. FE tested around 35, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see either drivers or the community pull out more performance.

Last edited:
Soldato

The main issue, is that whatever improved Hashrate performance could also be something that improves gaming performance. It might not just be something that is black and white, you can't just limit something without affecting other things indiscriminately.

Associate
@Gibbo - my idea- 1 per customer for pre-orders and give forum members the option to preorder 1 card 1 hour before preorders go live. That's for the forum members that have over 100 posts

all i want is the vega 56.
oh and a ultra wide freesync monitor

Make it happen Big man

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a miner who keeps telling me mining is in massive decline dont join etc. :)

I think he is just trying to discourage new miners as of course the more there is the harder it is for existing miners, so if we get people flocking to buy these gpus for mining then that tells me mining is still very profitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom