Gigabyte DS3/DS4/DQ6 Guide

Associate
Sawbill said:
Well, after more fiddling, ran SP2004 for 3 hours (before I give up), but SuperPI would still not manage 4M digits without crashing. :(

After this (about 6 Hrs running @ ~100%) I re-ran MemTest86+.

This time it threw out 1000s of errors! All only 1 or 2 bits in error, all in the last byte. All in 1 word sequences. All with addresses ending in C !

So I tried each memory module individually. Both worked individually (in both slots 1 & 3).

So I tried turning the DIMM Volts back down to normal (1.8v). One module still worked fine, the other would not POST.

Put both modules back in and vDIMM back to 2.1v and errors again - same pattern.

So does this sound like a Memory problem, Motherboard problem or CPU problem? Alas, I don't have any bits to swap out. My nearest alternate PC is much slower (so would not really stress things much).

I had hoped to have this working by Xmas, but that is not looking promising if I'm going to have to start RMAing bits at random!
Sounds like the same problems I was having with a DS3 and G-Skill NR memory. I RMA'd the memory explaining the problem and they replaced the NR memory with NQ. The NQ memory is DR2 6400 but has a default voltage of 1.8v. I have had no problems since.

In a nutshell, it sounds like a memory/mobo compatibility problem to me.

Associate
prism said:
I only have experience with Windows Vista RC2 and Windows XP Pro atm with the Intel Matrix controller, and under Vista it's a lot faster but that is due to the new way of loading Vista does, but general loading ain't too bad for me atm.

I haven't tested RAID at all on the JMicron, so can't comment on that.
Using the Intel Matrix controller I get about 120MB/s throughput.
Not too much interested in Burst rate, as continious throughput is more important on the long run.

Passed memtest after around 6 hours of continuous cycling.

I emailed Gigabyte, love the responce lol.

Hi,

This is software problem, sorry but we don't think we can more suggestion, maybe you need contact microsoft or Blizard for these software problem. Sorry for the inconvenience caused

Associate
Figures :D

I believe I saw some post regarding a 7950GTX2 on wow-europe Technical forums. Haven't checked it since I don't own one, and was only looking through threads real quick.

Associate
Hi guys, sorry if I'm covering old ground, frustratingly I had the information I needed yesterday but didn't bookmark it and sod's law now I can't find it.

I've got the geIL 6400 RAM and today a DS3. Everything seems fine on the board, But I have two queries about the RAM and board:

1. How in the BIOS, do I change the RAM timings? It's slacker than what they should be according to sisoftware sandra but have no idea where to change them.

2. I understand you have to change the voltage to my ram to 2.1v, I have found the option to increase the voltage in the BIOS but where does it display my current voltage? I would like to know the voltage prior to cranking it up.

Thanks in anticipation!

Associate
1. While on the initial BIOS page, press CTRL and F1 together. When you go into the MIT page there should be additional options to allow you to change the memory timings.

2. The default memory voltage is 1.8v. Therefore, if you change the value to +0.1v, you are running on 1.9v. You need to set it at +0.3v to get your 2.1v.

Soldato
How common are these ram and bootup problems? I have only just yesterday ordered various components including a DS4 board. I really hope I don't have any problems! :(

Cob

Cob

Soldato
TomL said:
DS3 board, 8800 GTS, C2D E6300, Geil 6400 RAM and I'm getting no display on screen, power to all the fans though - am I screwed?

Are you sure the cpu is seated correctly? It's easy to get it wrong with the pin-less 775 chips.

Associate
Well it was running fine in Bios before I plugged in the DVD and floppy drive, with the CPU temp being reported at 23c, would it get that far if the CPU was seated incorrectly?

Back
Top Bottom