Gigabyte DS3/DS4/DQ6 Guide

Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
Yeah it might have been an earlier BIOS revision that needed the cheapo sticks in first, as a lot of the Ram problems got sorted in a later BIOS revision, mine came with F3, and i got it about 3x weeks ago. :)

Hi im using the popular Geil 6400 (2x 1 gig) with the DQ6:

I have updated the bios to the latest revision and fiddled all the settings as above. However, each time i even move the clock speed a few hertz each way, the overclock does not occur - and it goes back to the standard values. Any ideas why?

I am also using an intel 6600 with an FX7950GX2 card.

Soldato
It turned out that one of my sticks of geil was also faulty. I'm currently @2.45ghz/1.375 volts. I'm waiting for my arctic freezer 7 to come before i go back up to 2.8/3ghz (I really hope the difference is big going from the stock fan). I'll be chuffed if I can get my chip stable at 2.8/3ghz with under 50c load.

Associate
Danesh said:
Hi im using the popular Geil 6400 (2x 1 gig) with the DQ6:

I have updated the bios to the latest revision and fiddled all the settings as above. However, each time i even move the clock speed a few hertz each way, the overclock does not occur - and it goes back to the standard values. Any ideas why?

I am also using an intel 6600 with an FX7950GX2 card.

speak of the devil - it seems it all works now?!

Ive pushed it up to 3ghz with no problems under stress

me---> :cool:

Caporegime
Anyone help me set my memory timings, ive just discovered that mines set to 5-5-5-18 instead of the 4-4-4-12 that its supposed to be by checking CPUZ, as ive still got it all on AUTO in the BIOS, i thought those would be the AUTO settings already, but apparently not. :p

Now i know the settings i need to change to 4-4-4-12, but the DIMM OverVoltage Control, someone said to set that to +0.3v, and someone else said to set it +0.5v, so i don't know which it is, and how is it seen in the BIOS as i know nothing about this, i don't have a +0.3v, ive got a +0.300v, and if its the +0.5v i need to set it to, then ive got a +0.050v, and then further down the list ive got a +0.500v, so i dont know which is which, and i don't want to kill it. :eek:

Thanks. :)

Associate
the zeros are cancelled out m8 as they mean nothing so 0.3v is the same as 0.300v :) (not wishing to sound sarcastic as thats not my intention) :)

on my mobo setting it to +0.3v actually comes out just under 2.1v total and as the geil mem requires 2.1 its probably best to set it to +0.35v
it can take +0.5v max as this comes out at 2.3v or in real world calculations its just under so u will be ok m8 :D

go for +0.3v and work up in 0.05v increments but do not exceed a total increase of +0.5v :)

hope this helps

Caporegime
Torch [P4] said:
the zeros are cancelled out m8 as they mean nothing so 0.3v is the same as 0.300v :) (not wishing to sound sarcastic as thats not my intention) :)

on my mobo setting it to +0.3v actually comes out just under 2.1v total and as the geil mem requires 2.1 its probably best to set it to +0.35v
it can take +0.5v max as this comes out at 2.3v or in real world calculations its just under so u will be ok m8 :D

go for +0.3v and work up in 0.05v increments but do not exceed a total increase of +0.5v :)

hope this helps

Not at all, thanks for the help. :)

Caporegime
Right i set them to 4-4-4-12, and set the voltage to +0.3v, and it works, checked CPUZ and its right now, says 4-4-4-12 :D

I nearly died though when i saved it and it shutdown, but then when it restarted i thought the BIOS had gone back to defaults or summit as i ballsed it up, as i didnt know it did that shutdown and restart PHEW. :D

Thanks again mate. :)

Associate
Great thread got my 6600 to 3.2 with it. Thanks lads:D:D

CPU-Z1.JPG

another thing ive got 2gb of GeIL PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency and it seems to be running at 400MHZ. Is this ok??

CPU-Z2.JPG

-----------------------edit-------------------------

just had a bit of a prob.

i ran a bench with 3DMark06 and got a better result than before and my temps got to a max of 42 degC. Everything seemed to be great untill i rebooted. The PC shut down then tried to resart and it just cuts out about 5 secs after the reset. It doesnt even get chance to switch the monitor back on before it cuts out. Then it will try again it switches on for about 5 secs then dies again and it keeps on doing this. Ive had to a cmos reset on the board Any idea what this could be coz everything seems fine in windows

Last edited:
Associate
Cob said:
I've only had to clear my CMOS after pushing my RAM too far. Are you putting 2.1v (+0.3) through the vdimm?

yup.

im following monstermunchs guide as i have the same kit as him (6600/DS4/geil6400 ram)

Monster Munch said:
Clocking
1. Make sure that you have the latest chipset drivers and flash the board to the most recent bios version
2. On the main bios screen press Ctrl+F1 to open the advanced options within the menus
3. In the Advanced Bios Features Menu, Disable all of the following: CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2), CPU EIST Function
4. In the PC Health Status menu, set the FAN Speed Control Method to "Legacy" & FAN Speed Control Mode to "PWM" to maintain highest speed
5. Go into the MB Intelligent Tweaker (MIT) menu at the bottom of the page, set the System voltage control to "Manual"
6. These boards have a default VDIMM of 1.8v, set the VDIMM to co-ordinate with your ram. The Geil I have is specced as 2.1v so I have mine set to +0.3v
7. Set the MCH Voltage to +0.1v
8. Set the FSB Voltage to +0.1v
9. Set the VCORE to 1.45v - Please be aware that this will increase temps!
10. Set the CPU Host Clock Control to "Enable"
11. Set the System Memory Multiplier to "2x"
12. You're set to go, just increase the System bus Frequency to Overclock
13. I would reccommend that you use Intels TAT to monitor temps

Associate
Hi, recently purchased ds3 with c2d 6600 and giel 6400 ultra low latency ram. Im having a problem as the bios is reporting that the cpu is 128c all the time. If i run intel thermal tool it reports the cpu is 30-40c, 55c on full load of both cores. Ive a tuniq tower installed and im wondering if maybe its covering some temperature sensor on the motherboard with it.

I dont know if this is related but when i received the mobo the northbridge heat sink was hanging off. I cleaned it up, applied some artic silver and put it back on. However it seems to be too loose as i can pull the northbridge cooler up from its socket. the bios and other monitoring tools report that the system temp is 35c which i think is the northbridge tho im only guessing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Associate
illumin said:
Hi, recently purchased ds3 with c2d 6600 and giel 6400 ultra low latency ram. Im having a problem as the bios is reporting that the cpu is 128c all the time. If i run intel thermal tool it reports the cpu is 30-40c, 55c on full load of both cores. Ive a tuniq tower installed and im wondering if maybe its covering some temperature sensor on the motherboard with it.

I dont know if this is related but when i received the mobo the northbridge heat sink was hanging off. I cleaned it up, applied some artic silver and put it back on. However it seems to be too loose as i can pull the northbridge cooler up from its socket. the bios and other monitoring tools report that the system temp is 35c which i think is the northbridge tho im only guessing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You are sure it's not reporting Fahrenheit instead of Celcius?

I don't know atm if it shows both or that you select which to use.

Associate
SameSuspect said:
does anyone know if the Zalman CNPS7700-CU fits on the ds4??

or does anyone know of any quiet coolers better so i can get 3.0ghz+ from a 6300

Yes, I had to remove the "Crazy Cool" from the back, but it works a treat!

Associate
prism said:
You are sure it's not reporting Fahrenheit instead of Celcius?

I don't know atm if it shows both or that you select which to use.

Yep it says 128c and doesnt move from that figure. sometimes when i boot up it reports 30-40c in the bios.

darudeuk said:
If your CPU was running at 128c you wouldn't be using it now, infact its a good chance your transistors would be no more.

BIOS temps are usually by far imo the most accurate, and trusted, however ill agree i think it could be in F not C, so check that, other than that.

System temp is the temp inside your case.. Tuniq = Sunbeam = Value Range, however i cant see why it would do anything to your temps.

This Tuniq Tower 120 seems to be AM2 Certified but i found no mention of a C2D CPU Support, are you certain its compatible?

Also your northbridge sensor is completely different to your CPU Sensor, i would, if i was yourself reflash your bios to make sure it all updated fine, and i would also try with your stock intel HS&Fan

OK The Tuniq is compatible, however i would certainly polish the base because as standard their abit messy.

I forgot to mention that when it reports 128c it only gives a temp for system and the cpu. Yet when it sometimes reports what i think is the correct temp i.e. 30-40 i get temps for a MCH and a GMCH, whatever they are. Ill reflash the board and will reseat the tuniq tower but im pretty sure its on ok. Btw this tuniq tower is far from budget and is recommended by loads of sites for what they are worth :p Also im not overclocking.

The only thing i can think of that could be causing problems is a mounting plate for the heatsink which is stuck onto the back of the board. Maybe its covering some sensor. Tho i think theres only one way of mounting it. Does anyone think its dangerous running it when its reporting 128C and that i should rma?

Associate
I installed the stock fan and its reporting 30-40 all the time in the bios. I dont know whats going on with the tuniq tower as i was getting much cooler temps with it in windows than i am with the retail cooler but 128c in the bios???. i dont know if this would have anything to do with it but the intel heatsink/fan has a 4 pin connection while the tuniq tower only has a 3 pin. The 3 pin fits fine tho in the cpu fan socket. Its all a mystery to me. I think ill get a ninja+ and try and sell the tuniq tower. Knowing my luck ill have the same problem with that :(

Back
Top Bottom