Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 Owners Thread.

Caporegime
OP
I've borrowed some RAM, some very expensive and rare RAM.

Corsair Dominator Platinum "Champion" 16GB (4x4GB) 3400MHz
OcUK Product page

DSC_01132_zpsdxkjaj3u.jpg~original

Corsair%203400_zpselpcjbsb.png~original

Setting the XMP increases the base clock to 102MHz and uses a 33.33X multiplier to reach 3400MHz.

The reason for that is this RAM is designed for the X99 Champion, some X99 RAM multipliers suck and so to get around that they use a different multi with an adjustment of the BCLK to reach the target speed.

Caporegime
OP
If you guys were using a 2.1 setup then I think only one of the rear audio ports is the true amplified one.

It should be the one directly under the optical output or "O" in the manual.

Caporegime
OP
There might be a setting in the BIOS (guessing here) that will help.

On Z97 there was a thing called Vrin which if set to 2-2.1v helped a lot, I just cant find anything in the Z170 BIOS that matches this setting.

But have asked around.

Or it could be that with Skylake now has this part given up to the motherboard to control, its no longer relevant for overclocking.

Caporegime
OP
Driver support is the same as all other boards.

It's Intel that supply the chipset driver, creative do the sound rather than realtek found more commonly on motherboards.

You can download all the newest driver revisions directly from Intel etc.

Caporegime
OP
Overclocking is simple either copy that video to get to 4.5Ghz or try some manual adjustments to go try and reach higher.

As for RAM well I use Corsair Vengeance PLX 3000MHz all the time, even with those other kits (the Kingston I've now sold and the Corsair Champion RAM isnt mine and not meant for this board).

The Gskill is my own for X99 and the Teamgroup RAM I only got as it was on special offer and it will soon end up in the members market.

m.2 SSD are not restricted by SATAIII bandwidth limits, having 32GB/S avalible to them the read+write speeds are way higher and the IOPS are way way higher again.

If you do decide to get a m.2 SSD make sure it is NVME and not the older AHCI type, and also if you are looking at Samsung m.2 SSDs, that is the faster one as there is like two for each capacity.

See this post - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29684715&postcount=2

Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
The H110i GT fans are connected to the pump as normal and LINK controls them.

Im fairly sure somethings wrong with the old girl as the temps just creep up and up slowly almost like it cant get rid of the heat fast enough.

The pump according to LINK is spinning and obviously so are the fans.

The pump you can set to quiet or performance mode and its still struggling.

Even my idle temps are higher than they should be.

I do have alternative coolers to use.

Caporegime
OP
The board has the Gconnector thing to make the wiring of the power/hdd led etc easy peasy.

The H110i if it has the USB cable for the link then connect that to one of the USB2.0 headers along the bottom, the cable should be long enough to go up from the H100i pump, out the rear of the case, down the back and inside the case again at the bottom of the board.

If its not long enough then place the cable behind the board (the right way around) and screw the board to the case.

So its in the space/cavity created by the standoffs.

If the H100i uses a fan header on the board for power and not just rpm sensing (some AIO use a SATA plug for power such as the H110i GT), then set that header to full speed in the BIOS and if you use the SIV software, change the fan speed for that header to fixed rpm and set to full speed.

Back
Top Bottom