Give UK 4 more bank holidays, says TUC

Soldato
Completely agree, Sunday trading hours are kind of silly in 2021. When this was debated in parliament last the consensus tended to be 'but think of the worker, they'd have to work longer'!!!

As a worker actually working these shifts, I'd prefer a proper 8+ hour shift where I earnt a full days wages and not some silly short 6-7 hour shift. It's not like you can do anything else on that day with those couple of extra hours and lots of stuff is shut due to Sunday trading....

I’m glad that Sunday trading hours are as they are. As we struggle to get staff in when off.

Those who moan about Sunday trading hours being short - have never worked in retail.

Caporegime
Sooner have first Saturday of every month everything shut after 12:30 and Sunday no openings of nothing. No exceptions even the corner shop shut the only thing allowed open is a petrol station.

Why???

What good is that to anyone?

Caporegime
Completely agree, Sunday trading hours are kind of silly in 2021. When this was debated in parliament last the consensus tended to be 'but think of the worker, they'd have to work longer'!!!

As a worker actually working these shifts, I'd prefer a proper 8+ hour shift where I earnt a full days wages and not some silly short 6-7 hour shift. It's not like you can do anything else on that day with those couple of extra hours and lots of stuff is shut due to Sunday trading....
Exactly a short work day is pretty much a waste of a day.

Completely stagared working is the future where you can have your days off sunday Monday or Friday and it not make any difference

Soldato
Sooner have first Saturday of every month everything shut after 12:30 and Sunday no openings of nothing. No exceptions even the corner shop shut the only thing allowed open is a petrol station.

That's such a backwards view of society. People don't go to church etc these days. I can just imagine the outcry from the public when they can't do any shopping on the weekend, or when all the pubs and restaurants are closed.

Soldato
Those who moan about Sunday trading hours being short - have never worked in retail.

Slightly presumptuous there.

This basically. Back when I was a teenager I was given a few 4 hour shifts, literally no point by the time I've paid to get the bus there and back. It was such a waste of time and effort for how much money I actually earnt and I made my displeasure perfectly clear about that.

There is also the economic argument, retail can't compete with online if they are closed. When its possible to order something on Saturday evening from Amazon and get it delivered before the shops even open the following day just makes a mockery of Sunday trading laws.

Soldato
Slightly presumptuous there.

This basically. Back when I was a teenager I was given a few 4 hour shifts, literally no point by the time I've paid to get the bus there and back. It was such a waste of time and effort for how much money I actually earnt and I made my displeasure perfectly clear about that.

There is also the economic argument, retail can't compete with online if they are closed. When its possible to order something on Saturday evening from Amazon and get it delivered before the shops even open the following day just makes a mockery of Sunday trading laws.
I remember an ex at the time was convinced to do split shifts on a Saturday. Absolute bonkers. She used to go in at 8am to setup, and then her second shift was the afternoon rush. I think she booked about 6 billable hours over the course of 10.

And it was one of those fashion shops where you have to wear their clothes, so 50% of her salary went directly back into the shop. Insane.

Soldato
I’m glad that Sunday trading hours are as they are. As we struggle to get staff in when off.

The point is that if Sunday hours were longer, then business would need to recruit extra staff ergo driving down unemployment.

FWIW I did work in retail when I was younger, and obviously decided that wasn't a career path that interested me.

Soldato
Explain why some retired people have to do their shopping on Saturday morning? Yet moan about its busy

That's a fantastic question. If it was completely upto me I'd ban retirees from shopping at the weekend when they have all week to do so. (exceptions for carers etc).

Man of Honour
That's a fantastic question. If it was completely upto me I'd ban retirees from shopping at the weekend when they have all week to do so. (exceptions for carers etc).

Dream on, its never going to be up to you, and if I wanted to go to Waitrose on Saturday or Sunday then I would, but fear not, our weekly groceries are delivered, but if I really needed something, I’d go and get it midweek.

The point is their is more to life than spending a weekend in a shop buying crap you don't need. Family and friends that sort of thing.

Why would you think that people are spending the weekend in shops buying stuff that they don’t need?
Some weekends I take a 40 minute train ride across London to my son’s place and take him and his family out to lunch.
If I needed some shirts or shoes though, I’d take the Jubilee Line to Bond Street and have a look in Selfridges.
If that merits your disapproval, tough luck.

Caporegime
The point is their is more to life than spending a weekend in a shop buying crap you don't need. Family and friends that sort of thing.

What so we can all sit around piously praying?

Rather go out and do something.

Take a nice motorcycle ride, stop In at a country pub or one of the estate shops buy some nice things to eat and drink then or later.

maybe do some gardening and house work.

Not all of us are unemployed and have endless hours in the week to do things

Soldato
Perhaps they have other things to do during the week? Not all retired people sit at home all week where they used to go to work.
Talking 1st generation of retired (80+). As the 2nd generation of retired got different things they do, characteristics etc. My parents are both retired. My grandmother is retired and in her 90s. Both groups have different aspirations, things they do. My grandmother is piratically housebound. Whereas my parents - go for walks, visit parts of the UK, traveled abroad (pre covid)

Soldato
My colleague suggested that all supermarkets collaborated together and any retired customers who shop on a Saturday morning, they should have a 20% levy added to their bill. This charge doesn't apply if they have returned from holiday the previous evening or early hours of holiday or discharged from hospital - proof required. I would love it:

. Elderly customer "20 B&H Blue please"
- Me - "OK" (takes a pack from behind doors and scans) "£11.10 please" - they are normally £9.25.
- EC "I paid £9.25 the other day"
- Me "That's because you bought them during the week. As you got practically all week to shop and yet decide to shop at the busiest day and time of the week, there's a 20% charge on top"
- EC "How do I stop this from happening?"
- Me "Don't shop on Saturdays"
- EC "I have always shopped then for 58 years with my husband. He retired 28 years ago"
(me thinking change your habits)

Man of Honour

Completely stagared working is the future where you can have your days off sunday Monday or Friday and it not make any difference

Depends a bit - before taking on my current role I used to be able to start early on a Friday often only doing 4-6 hours and usually out by mid-day at the latest then having the weekend off that wasn't a waste of a day.

Soldato
Talking 1st generation of retired (80+). As the 2nd generation of retired got different things they do, characteristics etc. My parents are both retired. My grandmother is retired and in her 90s. Both groups have different aspirations, things they do. My grandmother is piratically housebound. Whereas my parents - go for walks, visit parts of the UK, traveled abroad (pre covid)
Surely that should be ship bound me hearty!

Caporegime
Depends a bit - before taking on my current role I used to be able to start early on a Friday often only doing 4-6 hours and usually out by mid-day at the latest then having the weekend off that wasn't a waste of a day.

You wouldn't have preferred to do those extra 4 hours 1 hour per day Mon to Thurs and have Friday off entirely.

Back
Top Bottom