Give UK 4 more bank holidays, says TUC

Man of Honour
You wouldn't have preferred to do those extra 4 hours 1 hour per day Mon to Thurs and have Friday off entirely.

I'd have preferred an extra day off but at the time I was doing quite long hours Mon-Thurs as it was. It is gonna depend though person to person.

Soldato
My colleague suggested that all supermarkets collaborated together and any retired customers who shop on a Saturday morning, they should have a 20% levy added to their bill. This charge doesn't apply if they have returned from holiday the previous evening or early hours of holiday or discharged from hospital - proof required. I would love it:

. Elderly customer "20 B&H Blue please"
- Me - "OK" (takes a pack from behind doors and scans) "£11.10 please" - they are normally £9.25.
- EC "I paid £9.25 the other day"
- Me "That's because you bought them during the week. As you got practically all week to shop and yet decide to shop at the busiest day and time of the week, there's a 20% charge on top"
- EC "How do I stop this from happening?"
- Me "Don't shop on Saturdays"
- EC "I have always shopped then for 58 years with my husband. He retired 28 years ago"
(me thinking change your habits)

Trust me. They go shopping in the week too.

There must be some financial incentive to be in town as early as possible as we constantly get oaps trying to board with their free bus pass before 0930.

Soldato
The point is their is more to life than spending a weekend in a shop buying crap you don't need. Family and friends that sort of thing.

Have you considered the fact that some people actually have to work for a living during the week, and so the weekend is the only time they actually have to go shopping? Or should they take annual leave and pull their kids out of school for a day to buy them new clothes & shoes etc?

What a stupid suggestion :cry:

Man of Honour
My colleague suggested that all supermarkets collaborated together and any retired customers who shop on a Saturday morning, they should have a 20% levy added to their bill. This charge doesn't apply if they have returned from holiday the previous evening or early hours of holiday or discharged from hospital - proof required. I would love it:

. Elderly customer "20 B&H Blue please"
- Me - "OK" (takes a pack from behind doors and scans) "£11.10 please" - they are normally £9.25.
- EC "I paid £9.25 the other day"
- Me "That's because you bought them during the week. As you got practically all week to shop and yet decide to shop at the busiest day and time of the week, there's a 20% charge on top"
- EC "How do I stop this from happening?"
- Me "Don't shop on Saturdays"
- EC "I have always shopped then for 58 years with my husband. He retired 28 years ago"
(me thinking change your habits)

As your colleague appears to be truly gifted in the thinking and planning department, can we assume that he was in charge of organising the logistics of the departures from Afghanistan?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Have you considered the fact that some people actually have to work for a living during the week, and so the weekend is the only time they actually have to go shopping? Or should they take annual leave and pull their kids out of school for a day to buy them new clothes & shoes etc?

What a stupid suggestion :cry:

Have you considered food shopping is available 24/7 During the week... If you cant plan for 1.5 days without a shop being open, your either

A - A idiot
B - A millennial

Soldato
Trust me. They go shopping in the week too.

There must be some financial incentive to be in town as early as possible as we constantly get oaps trying to board with their free bus pass before 0930.

What I don’t get are elderly that stand outside waiting for a bus at least 30 mins before they can travel for free. Seen them when it’s 0c at 8:30. Yes they may have an appointment at hospital etc and need to leave before 9:30. That isn’t the case for the dozen pensioners waiting for the bus then.

Soldato
Have you considered food shopping is available 24/7 During the week... If you cant plan for 1.5 days without a shop being open, your either

A - A idiot
B - A millennial
Who works 100 hours a week? My work is open 90 hours a week. Other supermarkets are open 102 hours (are any supermarkets operating 7am Monday -10pm Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday anymore) they are 143 hours a week,

Soldato
What I don’t get are elderly that stand outside waiting for a bus at least 30 mins before they can travel for free. Seen them when it’s 0c at 8:30. Yes they may have an appointment at hospital etc and need to leave before 9:30. That isn’t the case for the dozen pensioners waiting for the bus then.
I think you need to take a look at your own life if old people going about their own business give you such an issue.

Soldato
Yep I remember Wednesday early closing fondly. Also remember the summers being glorious and long, which obviously isn't completely true...

Wouldn't say no to another 4 bank holidays, that would take me to 40+ paid days. Hoping to go part time in my 40s and retire early tbh

Soldato
I don't think forces take Wednesday afternoon, at least not anymore or maybe they get it for doing sports. They get Friday afternoon though.

Man of Honour
I'd rather 4 extra days holiday entitlement than 4 more bank holidays. Do people enjoy bank holidays?
Holiday entitlement is obviously a lot more flexible, however bank holidays do have some advantages:
  • Schools and most workplaces are closed, so you can do things as a family (for people without kids, it's the opposite, you want days off when families are at school/work)
  • Your work colleagues are likely on leave too, so the amount of work being generated for you whilst you are away is much less than with a standard holiday (a personal day off work in some jobs isn't really a day off in terms of reducing workload, you still have to squeeze the same work into the reduced number of days you are working)
  • Usually double-bubble etc if you are asked to work BH
  • Logistically easier to plan for [most] companies, i.e. everyone is on holiday so you don't have the normal dependency management headaches from different people being off at different 'random' times and others needing things from them
As for the original topic, I think a bank holiday in autumn half term (appreciating this may vary slightly by region) would be good, to break up the gap between August and Christmas. There's a lot of BH around Easter/May so no change needed there, perhaps an extra one at the start of the summer holidays (late July). Then if we must have another one, Spring half term.

One thing that does need looking at is the day of the week, a lot are on Mondays either by design (Easter Monday, May x2, August) or because they can be deferred from the weekend (CD, BD, NYD). I can see the benefit from having them next to a weekend but if new BH are introduced I'd prefer they be on a Friday rather than a Monday. There's a bit of a 'scam' situation with childcare where nurseries often charge you for bank holidays even though they are closed, but this is massively unfair on families who send their child on Mondays rather than another day. e.g. imagine two families, one sends their child every Monday, another family sends their child every Wednesday. Both pay the same amount of money, yet the former receives 4 fewer days of childcare provision.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Old people shopping at peak times is annoying but I haven't done proper shopping for years due to online delivery from Tesco.

The worse ones are people who get to the checkout and everything is scanned before they consider that the establishment will require payment in the immediate future or that they will have to put their shopping in bags.

That ****-wittery knows now age. Although middle aged women faff does seem to play a large role in this.

Back
Top Bottom