Give UK 4 more bank holidays, says TUC

Man of Honour
Im old enough to remember that shops used to have half day closing on Wednesdays

When I used to visit my grandma in Dagenham donkeys years ago Thursday was half day closing there.
You could get a bus to say Romford or Barking and the shops would be open there, I guess the early closing days were staggered, to give every area the chance to have half day closing.

Soldato
When I used to visit my grandma in Dagenham donkeys years ago Thursday was half day closing there.
You could get a bus to say Romford or Barking and the shops would be open there, I guess the early closing days were staggered, to give every area the chance to have half day closing.

Apparently half day closing was law

Typically on a Wednesday, the half-day closing was not just a tradition, but was in fact required by law, and regulated by the local council. The Shop Hours Act 1904 had already given local councils the power to require a single half-day closing, but only when two-thirds of the local retailers agreed to the proposal.

So it looks like it can be any weekday and can be agreed if two thirds of the shop owners went along with it. Guess between the different councils they agreed different days so people had access to the shops?

edit: Forgot to say the law was repealed in 1994

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Old people shopping at peak times is annoying but I haven't done proper shopping for years due to online delivery from Tesco.

The worse ones are people who get to the checkout and everything is scanned before they consider that the establishment will require payment in the immediate future or that they will have to put their shopping in bags.

That ****-wittery knows now age. Although middle aged women faff does seem to play a large role in this.
I get annoyed by people in queues not "getting ready" with payment etc but on the first point, people can go shopping when they want, there might be a good reason they need/want to go at peak time. Maybe they are going Saturday morning because they have relatives coming for lunch and they want fresh food or whatever, could be any number of reasons. I think trying to second-guess the rationale for other shoppers is generally a bit futile, you have to go in with the expectation that others will not behave in a purely predictable manner because you don't have complete information about them to always make accurate predictions.
An example might be, imagine you are a short person and a taller person takes the last of the product that is on the lower shelves of an item you want, so now the only stock the shop has of that item is out of your reach. This might seem 'inconsiderate' on the face of it, but maybe the person has an injury and doesn't want to stretch up, or maybe the expiry date is better on the item on the lower shelf. Same goes for this etiquette thing about letting people with "only a few items" go in front in the queue, by that logic if you had a massive load of shopping you could literally be stood there all day letting others go in front, maybe your parking ticket runs out in 5mins so you don't want to hang around.

Caporegime
The point is their is more to life than spending a weekend in a shop buying crap you don't need. Family and friends that sort of thing.

LOL, you're perfectly free not to go into a shop! Though if you lack the self-control to do that I don't think that's a good reason to try and shut things down for everyone else!

Also, I doubt anyone spends the weekend in one, I take about 15 minutes at most to get my shopping done, there is a Tesco literally on my development less than 100 meters from my front door. It's open from 7am to 11pm 7 days a week, I'm quite happy for it to stay that way.

fez

fez

Caporegime

Oh I completely agree but its still annoying. That covers most things in live to be honest. The parking around me is **** and then people park in the middle of 2 spaces. Over christmas last year someone clearly went away for about 3 weeks and left their car parked awfully making the parking even worse for everyone. Annoying? Yes. Are they entitled to do that? Absolutely.

Thats why we whinge about these things. :p

Because fundamentally they are completely allowed.

Soldato
Old people shopping at peak times is annoying but I haven't done proper shopping for years due to online delivery from Tesco.

The worse ones are people who get to the checkout and everything is scanned before they consider that the establishment will require payment in the immediate future or that they will have to put their shopping in bags.

That ****-wittery knows now age. Although middle aged women faff does seem to play a large role in this.

The latest thing around here with millennials is they go through the checkout, everything is scanned and then they decide to transfer money from one account to another on banking app or ring OH “Transfer £30 babe”.
Phones have calculators on them - even my first phone had one in 1998. Why can’t they add as go along, then transfer money BEFORE going to the checkouts?

Soldato
The latest thing around here with millennials is they go through the checkout, everything is scanned and then they decide to transfer money from one account to another on banking app or ring OH “Transfer £30 babe”.
Phones have calculators on them - even my first phone had one in 1998. Why can’t they add as go along, then transfer money BEFORE going to the checkouts?

They don't seem to grasp forward planning at all.

You can usually tell the ones a mile off. Usually look like something from The Only Way is Essex. Orange tan, duck lips, sometimes a giant arse and yoga pants.

Last edited:
Soldato
What I don’t get are elderly that stand outside waiting for a bus at least 30 mins before they can travel for free. Seen them when it’s 0c at 8:30. Yes they may have an appointment at hospital etc and need to leave before 9:30. That isn’t the case for the dozen pensioners waiting for the bus then.

When lockdown was eased last year & we were all told essential journeys only (We had severely limited passenger carrying. A 56 seater was allowed 19) they were all stood there and moaning when we drove past with "Sorry, FULL". It riled me so much when I was leaving people trying to get to work yet 3/4s of my passengers were the same OAPs that had been on the service every morning for the last 4 days.

In my mind it's one of the failings of the transport minister. Any and all free travel options should have been suspended (except the NHS staff service we operated). It would have kerbed so many unnecessary journeys.

Soldato
Surely that should be ship bound me hearty!

Ha, this wins best comment of the thread.

I'm not a big fan of bank holidays as everywhere becomes too busy to do anything, plus employers could just roll those extra days in to your existing annual leave allowance. Increase the minimum statutory annual leave instead and let people decide when they have time off.

Soldato
Ha, this wins best comment of the thread.

I'm not a big fan of bank holidays as everywhere becomes too busy to do anything, plus employers could just roll those extra days in to your existing annual leave allowance. Increase the minimum statutory annual leave instead and let people decide when they have time off.

TBF where I work if you work a BH then you get a day in leui. These are the only days that you can request any day off. Our holidays (we get 5 weeks) are set by the company and cannot be changed (unless it's to benefit the company)

Associate
OP
Im old enough to remember that shops used to have half day closing on Wednesdays

I like that idea, although maybe not Wednesday as thats town busy day. Also would maybe be defeating on colleagues who have to spend a while travelling to their workplace to only work half day.

Man of Honour
Sounds like too much hard work to wander round with your phone out constantly totting up the spend. Although to be fair if they are that hard up they can't pay for their shopping out of a primary account / credit card maybe they should be watching what they spend a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom