Glastonbury

Soldato
Stormzy - Not really my type of music but a great show.
Just watching his set now, again not my type of music but was bopping to some of his songs and his presence is very commanding.

Would recommend everyone to watch this, especially if their moaning about the quality of the festival.

RTJ killed it as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just noticed Kris Kristofferson was at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970, 47 years ago he would have 34 years old. I was there at 18yo :)
Band list
The Who
Leonard Cohen
Supertramp
Jethro Tull
Sly and the Family Stone
The Moody Blues
Donovan
Joni Mitchell
Joan Baez
Procol Harum
Redbone
Kris Kristofferson
Ten Years After
Hawkwind
Gilberto Gil
Melanie
Richie Havens
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Jimi Hendrix
Tony Joe White
Family
Ralph McTell
The Doors
John Sebastian
Terry Reid
Pentangle
Groundhogs
Miles Davis
David Bromberg
Howl
Cactus
Taste
Lighthouse
Heaven
Shawn Phillips
Arrival
Black Widow
Everyone
The Voices Of East Harlem
Andy Roberts
Tiny Tim
Good News
Fairfield Parlour
Gary Farr
Rosalie Sorrels
Mighty Baby
Judas Jump

Soldato
Impressed with Sleaford Mods, I got kinda sick of em because they get relentlessly overplayed on BBC6 but their set was ace. Annoyed I missed em playing over here a few months back now.

Kate Tempest was incredible.

Man of Honour
The Foos played to long

Hardly, we asked for 10 more songs and they only played 4. DG was giving it the big "we'll play all night if you want us to" but it never happened.
Absolutely brilliant set but I'd been hoping it was to be a 3hr set as hinted at in the Cheese and Grain. They have the material to sustain it.

Other (musical) highlights:
-Rhythm of the 90s - proper live 90s dance covers, absolutely killed it on Thursday night, one of the most enjoyable gigs I've been to
-Killers - headed over to JP more than an hour early so managed to get halfway inside the tent. Didn't really do a lot other than play great songs but it felt kind of special in there, absolutely electric atmosphere
-Circa Waves - new band to me, proper indie guitar stuff
-All We Are - interesting indie/electronica mix, stumbled across by accident
-The XX - decent
-Royal Blood - full octane, didn't do much wrong

Radiohead didn't impress me at all however, middle of their set was very boring by my tastes although it picked up from Street Spirit.

Caporegime
Any ideas on average cost for Glastonbury looking to go in 2019?

Ticket with all the fee's was £250
Parking was a ridiculous £45 (previously £10, then £25)

I took about £200 cash and came away with money left over. Didn't buy many drinks from the bars though.

Because Glastonbury is one of the few festivals where camping isn't in a separate area, you can take your own alcohol so I took approx 5 cans per day for me (in a decent cool box), plus a few litres of spirits (plastic bottles, no glass).

Food there is so good, there's little reason to take your own.

Soldato
Ticket with all the fee's was £250
Parking was a ridiculous £45 (previously £10, then £25)

I took about £200 cash and came away with money left over. Didn't buy many drinks from the bars though.

Because Glastonbury is one of the few festivals where camping isn't in a separate area, you can take your own alcohol so I took approx 5 cans per day for me (in a decent cool box), plus a few litres of spirits (plastic bottles, no glass).

Food there is so good, there's little reason to take your own.

Not to bad then cheers for the information :)

Man of Honour
Seems bbc did not record this - I could not find it on Iplayer ( or reference to croissant neuf venue) - but maybe you already came to that conclusion

It's one of the smaller venues, solar power only so probably can't sustain BBC.

ROT90s are brilliant, I also saw them at Victorious Festival last year doing a day time set with 20,000 people, they just did another gig this weekend in Portsmouth with around 15k. It's absolutely relentless stream of bangers and played live rather than DJ set which is what makes it different from a normal event.

At Glastonbury they played from 23:30 - 01:00 and this is what I can remember of the set list in no particular order:

Saltwater
Tocas Miracle
Castles in the Sky
Rhythm is a Dancer
Better off Alone
Insomnia
Sandstorm
Everybody's Free
Freed from Desire
Set you free
On a Ragga Tip
No Limits
Ride on Time (is this a cheat? thought it was 80s...?)
What is Love
Dreamer
Ridiculously good Prodigy medley
Rhythm of the Night
Children

Man of Honour
Regarding cost I take £300 and don't run out. Rough breakdown:

Drinks (mostly cider): £100
Food: £100 (meals are probably about £7 average)
Mixers: £25
T-shirt / gifts: £25
Emergency funds: £50

Regarding drinks to take with you I only take spirits and then buy mixers from vendors with a fridge, because cider/lager gets warm and is just another thing to lug up to the campsite. If you haven't been you probably don't appreciate the scale of the site; I did well over 100km walking according to my phone.

Soldato
Huge thread revival but just wondering if any fellow members are going this year, first time for myself and my group (12 of us).

Will try and decant as much spirits as i can into plastic bottles and hoping a friend whos driving can take some mixers so I have that. I am on a coach unfortunately so can't take a ton of stuff but will try and pack some snacks and spirits then buy my main meals out on the site.

Will be a co-op there so if i fancy the no doubt huge wait, i may try and stock up on some things.

Associate
Glastonbury went downhill when they started making it safe. Guess its just a age thing but after being caught and bribing your way in with crunchie and some smoochie boochie the sitting down with the border control force and getting mashed before you went in was a giggle.

Music is the main driver for it, but there is just not the acts anymore due to the relentless exposure of everything. But for my penneth...

ED Sheeran (WTF useless and boring)
Radiohead...lost all interest in live performances from them. I shall just remember the good years I managed to get to see them.
Foo Fighters... Same old same. Rock on Rockstars still fun though and worth the effort.
K perry - Just leave the planet you nasty hag.

Highlights for were

Stormzy - Not really my type of music but a great show.
XX - Brilliant, love the stuff they do atm.

Best band over the weekend.

SLEAFORD MODS - These guys need to headline next year.

I sort of agree, I first went in the 90s when it was still a bit rough around the edges although they'd already cleaned it up a lot. It's a bit of a different atmosphere now, but it's also on a so much larger scale, wouldn't say it's worse just different. Still way better than other UK festivals. Still feels like it's there for the love of it rather than the £££.

Associate
Huge thread revival but just wondering if any fellow members are going this year, first time for myself and my group (12 of us).

Will try and decant as much spirits as i can into plastic bottles and hoping a friend whos driving can take some mixers so I have that. I am on a coach unfortunately so can't take a ton of stuff but will try and pack some snacks and spirits then buy my main meals out on the site.

Will be a co-op there so if i fancy the no doubt huge wait, i may try and stock up on some things.

The food there is outstanding these days but fairly pricey if you're buying every meal (maybe an average of £7 a go, although you can find things for a fiver, or get free food from the Hari krishnas if you're skint), so if you've got a bit of cash to spend you can get away with taking very little in the way of food. Box of red wine is a good choice for booze as it still tastes OK warm & isn't as heavy as mixers / beer. It's a fair hike from the car parks to the site, so even with a car friend its a hassle carrying anything heavy.

Soldato
The food there is outstanding these days but fairly pricey if you're buying every meal (maybe an average of £7 a go, although you can find things for a fiver, or get free food from the Hari krishnas if you're skint), so if you've got a bit of cash to spend you can get away with taking very little in the way of food. Box of red wine is a good choice for booze as it still tastes OK warm & isn't as heavy as mixers / beer. It's a fair hike from the car parks to the site, so even with a car friend its a hassle carrying anything heavy.
Yeah ill get majority of my meals out definitely, good shout for the boxed wine.

Back
Top Bottom