Global BSOD

Soldato
"Oh dear, oh dear"

xCalyaZ.png
im watching the practices, hilarious they have crowdstrike logo on shirts and cars etc. i would have blanked it off:cry:

Soldato
I saw a headline earlier saying 'Microsoft has a lot to answer for'. With relatively little experience of these things, is this true? As it was a third party companies update? I've had a friend say yes due to certain 3 letter requirements and regulations.

I think investors are smart enough to know who's to blame - Microsoft's shares are only down 0.5% so far today while Crowdstrike has fallen 20% at one stage

Caporegime
Wonder if Crowdstrike will be liable to pay damages to affected companies.

They'd have a very negligent legal department if they didn't try to cover issues arising from software defects in their contracts. Then again IANAL so maybe there is some angle whereby this was so bad/so incompetent of them that it's beyond reasonable and some clients successfully push for a settlement?

I'd assume though given the scale of the issue then if that were a possibility then it could maybe bankrupt them - presumably, it's more likely that doesn't happen (or indeed it isn't proved in).

Soldato
An anti virus company will be making 100s of releases a month - current products, previous products and the fact that the anti virus business is very dynamic considering its prey. The number of configurations for Windows software is insane - I have no doubts that this would have been thoroughly tested but you can't have 100% coverage for the millions (billions?!) of configurations for MS platforms - the hardware, the software, the different versions, the different drivers / applications on that machine. Will be really interesting to know what the actually problem was (if we'll ever be told) but bugs like this are constantly released into the wild. It's just this time it caused BSOD.
What the problem not a driver file in the system directory, that falcon pushed to all computers, and BSODed them? Deleting said file, fixes the issue?

Soldato
I can neither conform nor deny that my employer is lawyering-up. We use CS globally (50k+ seats). It's been a catastrophe for us.

Good luck with that.

From the Crowdstrike EULA, that your company agreed to:

"Your sole and exclusive remedy and the entire liability of CrowdStrike for its breach of this warranty will be for CrowdStrike, at its own expense to do at least one of the following: (a) use commercially reasonable efforts to provide a work-around or correct such Error; or (b) terminate your license to access and use the applicable non-conforming Product and refund the prepaid fee prorated for the unused period of the Subscription/Order Term. CrowdStrike shall have no obligation regarding Errors reported after the applicable Subscription/Order Term."

Soldato
Question is still why the likes of the NHS, or their cloud provider, are updating without clean room testing - let's see the list of hi-tech companies that weren't impacted , like ours.

Back
Top Bottom