Global BSOD

Soldato
Question is still why the likes of the NHS, or their cloud provider, are updating without clean room testing - let's see the list of hi-tech companies that weren't impacted , like ours.
Are you 'guys' big CrowdStrike users? Guessing you delayed pushing out the update and waited for the 'fix'?

But yeah, we didn't have any affected systems either...

Associate
I work in IT in the NHS, this might annoy some people, but it was quite a relaxing day for us. All of our systems were up, just the main clinical system provider Emis was down. Hence no one raising calls with us due to most hardware and software products needing to interface with Emis...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Question is still why the likes of the NHS, or their cloud provider, are updating without clean room testing - let's see the list of hi-tech companies that weren't impacted , like ours.

According to one source, known to me, Crowdstrike bypassed their testing and pushed it directly without going through their normal process.

Associate
Good luck with that.

From the Crowdstrike EULA, that your company agreed to:

"Your sole and exclusive remedy and the entire liability of CrowdStrike for its breach of this warranty will be for CrowdStrike, at its own expense to do at least one of the following: (a) use commercially reasonable efforts to provide a work-around or correct such Error; or (b) terminate your license to access and use the applicable non-conforming Product and refund the prepaid fee prorated for the unused period of the Subscription/Order Term. CrowdStrike shall have no obligation regarding Errors reported after the applicable Subscription/Order Term."

EULA doesn't supercede applicable law.

Soldato
According to one source, known to me, Crowdstrike bypassed their testing and pushed it directly without going through their normal process.
Question is why? Why this specific update? Or is it "common" practise to push updates bypassing QA testing? Again, why? Either way, a colossal boo boo.
I've spoken to ex-colleagues today and it has, as expected, been an utter nightmare alongside bitlocker'd end-points. Never been so glad to be retired!

e: gibberish on first line.

Last edited:
Associate
The fact that a software update not from MS can cripple the entire OS from even booting is just really crappy design. I don't care whether this is a server OS or a consumer one it really shouldn't happen. MS needs to make the OS far more resilient to this in the future.

Soldato
The fact that a software update not from MS can cripple the entire OS from even booting is just really crappy design. I don't care whether this is a server OS or a consumer one it really shouldn't happen. MS needs to make the OS far more resilient to this in the future.
This really. I recall supporting NT 3.5/4, which was an absolute nightmare, requiring additional steps to support when the kernel blew but at least provided a short-cut of "Last Known Good Configuration". BUT yes, these new third party pre-kernel security apps killing that idea begs the question the purpose and move to a "secure boot / TPM 2.0" environment. Some serious wake-up calls incoming.

Soldato
Meanwhile, in Birmingham…

8j95bvb.jpeg

Soldato
Antivirus stuff usually has access to all.

Associate
I work in IT in the NHS, this might annoy some people, but it was quite a relaxing day for us. All of our systems were up, just the main clinical system provider Emis was down. Hence no one raising calls with us due to most hardware and software products needing to interface with Emis...
Different trusts, different problems.
Sent from a mate in the bis.

6uH15Uy.jpeg

Associate
Not the first time.

AMD caused issues last year? when a fresh driver/software install when there are pending windows updates proper borked the O/S

Soldato
The backlog at some airports could get horrendous, with kids in England and Wales having presumably broken up for hols today.

Not to mention NHS and GP issues.

Soldato
I am surprised so many end user devices are affected; I had assumed this would have mostly servers.

What on an end user desktop uses CrowdStrike?

pre

pre

Associate
I am surprised so many end user devices are affected; I had assumed this would have mostly servers.

What on an end user desktop uses CrowdStrike?

It's an Enterprise Cybersecurity tool - sensor/real-time remediation similar to MS Defender.

It was interesting to read how this story developed in 18 pages lol.

Back
Top Bottom