Global BSOD

Associate
Antivirus stuff usually has access to all.

Can't remember the brand now, but I had a 3rd antivirus update many years that caused Windows to go into a boot loop after an update to it, had to enter safe mode and remove it in order to get Windows to boot normally. Quite a few things can cause this but they really shouldn't be allowed to if its possible. It is a bit worrying that if my Avast AV did a really bad update then my OS could be bricked on reboot that even safe mode may not easily get me out of. If MS has to significantly lock down parts of the OS in order to prevent any old 3rd party programs breaking the OS this easily then it really needs to be done.

Associate
"hello could we interest you in a crowdstrike subscription?"
fast-run-run.gif

:D
That's the real shame of it all. This utterly stupid incident will (rightly) destroy any confidence in what I feel is one of the best endpoint security vendors. We've had more decent actionable threat intelligence from CS than any other tool I've used in my career.

Last edited:
Soldato
By the end of the day most of our systems where back up and running, hopefully by Monday all will be right again

Soldato
hopefully by Monday all will be right again
Really unlikely though isn't it, the surgery where my wife works will have to wait for their IT guys to come out and physically log onto machines, sort encryption, and delete the rogue file. Multiply this by many thousands of doctors' surgeries nationwide and it could be some time before they're all back up and running.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really unlikely though isn't it, the surgery where my wife works will have to wait for their IT guys to come out and physically log onto machines, sort encryption, and delete the rogue file. Multiply this by many thousands of doctors' surgeries nationwide and it could be some time before they're all back up and running.

Yup, services are coming back online but there will still be millions of PCs that need to be manually rebooted and potentially have the bad file removed and encryption makes it take even longer and a human has to do this one by one for each pc - could be a week or two for every pc in the world affected to be fixed

Associate
Can't remember the brand now, but I had a 3rd antivirus update many years that caused Windows to go into a boot loop after an update to it, had to enter safe mode and remove it in order to get Windows to boot normally. Quite a few things can cause this but they really shouldn't be allowed to if its possible. It is a bit worrying that if my Avast AV did a really bad update then my OS could be bricked on reboot that even safe mode may not easily get me out of. If MS has to significantly lock down parts of the OS in order to prevent any old 3rd party programs breaking the OS this easily then it really needs to be done.
You have to consider that any threat actor exploiting a buffer overflow or RCE (which in the vast majority of cases is not Microsoft's fault) will be operating at the lowest level possible, ideally at the kernel level. Our security software needs to operate at the same level, otherwise it'll be useless.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's the real shame of it all. This utterly stupid incident will (rightly) destroy any confidence in what I feel is one of the best endpoint security vendors. We've had more decent actionable threat intelligence from CS than any other tool I've used in my career.
Tbf PCs are totally impenetrable now.*

*i.e. they can't even boot up

Last edited:
Associate
It was Kaspersky. It was also when I stopped using AV on my own personal machines.

I used to do server disaster recoveries and one of the biggest problems with bringing a machine back from backup was if an AV was installed (especially Norton Endpoint & McAfee being the main culprits, Sophos/Nod which were common then were no problem at all).

Last edited:
Soldato
Our IT sorted out the services which had failed, all staff laptops where working fine just could not access certain sites\services that we use

Man of Honour
As expected, despite being hit heavy, most staff just enjoyed the Friday sun instead of complaining about IT issues. SQL servers, domain controllers, VPN, our warehouse system, and M365 all down at some point. Think this might force us out of CloudStrike which has been a long time coming.

Must have been a lucrative day for contractors.

Last edited:
Soldato
As expected, despite being hit heavy, most staff just enjoyed the Friday sun instead of complaining about IT issues. SQL servers, domain controllers, VPN, our warehouse system, and M365 all down at some point. Think this might force us out of CloudStrike which has been a long time coming.
Yeah, Our VPN went down (UK 1) but our EMEA VPN still worked so we switched over to that. Unsure if we will be sticking with them or moving on.

Soldato
OP
I've managed to fix my machine but the majority of the office is still borked and unlikely to be fixed without an actual IT person travelling out to do it in person, which makes this the perfect outage, because a fix that can't be deployed remotely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom