Global BSOD

Caporegime
StOPe.gif
From a Don no less...

Soldato
You are wrong, the media reporting before they had all the facts.
It's been pretty bad reporting by a lot of the media outlets. They all seemed to have jumped on the Azure outage and blaming that/MS even though by 6/6:30AM it was fairly well known CrowdStrike were having issues and MS was well into restoring their Azure services - was already up monitoring Azure services in the states and the cybersec lot were already posting about CrowdStrike.

Be interesting to see how screwed CrowdStrike are after this; no doubt solicitors/lawyers either side of the table are running through their contracts to see if CrowdStrike can be made liable for losses.

We had CrowdStrike for a couple of months last year as part of a security assesment. Glad it's gone today!
Trialed Falcon (MacOS) a while back and it wasn't a bad product; costs and budget prevented us going with it though.

More and more big companies releasing explanations like
"Third party software/Crowdstrike is to blame for this outage, blah blah"

No. YOU are to blame for installing kernel mode malware across critical systems on our network!
Sty2d.gif

Caporegime
the premarket price is just the price you could have bought at in april, it would have to fall a lot more (which it might) to be seen as a discount imo, I'd say wait and see. My prediction is it should be possible to get it for under 200, or even 100 because imo it's massively over-valued.
Yeah it's not even down to 3 month low. And PE is extreme.
I mean it's really down to if customers have an alternative, and if this damage is bad enough for them to go.. Nope.. I want a different provider.

That is the big one. And I'm not sure. Changing provider is a lot of work. And you'd think if this has happened once they'll put measures in place to not let it haagain.

Very tempted though as I was thinking about buying in recently

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
We have a P1 open for some of our apps, seems like the infrastructure team are working on fixing the affected servers.

Caporegime
Crowdstrike down 20pc now. That's a big fall by any definition really.
Seems like the media have finally picked up on its not MS issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah it's not even down to 3 month low. And PE is extreme.
I mean it's really down to if customers have an alternative, and if this damage is bad enough for them to go.. Nope.. I want a different provider.

That is the big one. And I'm not sure. Changing provider is a lot of work. And you'd think if this has happened once they'll put measures in place to not let it haagain.

Very tempted though as I was thinking about buying in recently

There's no also zero guarantee that the new provider won't push a borked update either. You could rip & replace your endpoint protection on 000s of devices but just find yourself in the same boat in some point in the future...

Go back far enough to Windows XP and you'll find when McAfee pushed a definition update for VirusScan which identified svchost.exe as a threat, so quarantined it...

Caporegime
There's no also zero guarantee that the new provider won't push a borked update either. You could rip & replace your endpoint protection on 000s of devices but just find yourself in the same boat in some point in the future...

Go back far enough to Windows XP and you'll find when McAfee pushed a definition update for VirusScan which identified svchost.exe as a threat, so quarantined it...

Yeah that's what I mean. Probably more likely a new provider would. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

After this you'd expect crowdstrike will likely be more careful and it maybe less likely?

I agree with you.. Just not sure how the people who make these decisions will react.

Soldato
Imagine how bad it will be when there inevitably is a proper mass cyber attack from China, Russia etc.
We've built ourselves a fragile existence.

Sadly this is the world we have created.

xFcHYnp.gif

^.... When this happens, people and organisations can't think without their computers now. You just have to watch people in the streets, all with their heads pointing at their phones all the time like bots and not even watching where they are going and who they maybe walking into because that mobile computer is more important.

Anyways the ironic thing that came out of this is it came from a company that was security related and meant to protect systems, not crash them. Nothing like a denial of service attack coming from the software/hardware meant to protect your systems. :rolleyes:

Also Microsoft is to blame for this too not just CrowdStrike.. The OS is too easily tripped to this day with bad updates even coming from Microsoft themselves in most cases bricking systems.

Back
Top Bottom