God of War 4

Associate
Be nice if there was a way to get rid of the circle prompts. Not blown away by this as hoping would be but it’s a good challenge on the hard (3rd difficulty)

Soldato
My god, its brutal on Give me God of War setting :mad:
I gave up and started again on challenging.

I've platinumed Bloodborne and have just about done the same on Dark Souls 3 so I'm not scared of a hard game but this is something else.

If I enjoy the game on my first play through I'll maybe go back and do it again.

Soldato
For me the bosses were a nice fair souls like challenge on the 3rd option (hard) but multiple enemies become an issue with the camera almost up kratos' bottom :)

Associate
Was going to hold off buying this until after I finished FC5, but after reading the reviews and seeing some videos I caved in. Loved the previous GoW games and was a little dubious about the change in style. So far I’m only around an hour into the game and liking the change, reminds me a little of Uncharted/Tomb Raider. Combat feels fluid, looking forward to seeing how that progresses later on.

Soldato
Is this uncharted on rails or last of us on rails (I much preferred the latter)??
I'm basically asking how much control the player has. Moogleys you referred to this in an earlier post.

It’s like the last of us with more combat. You have control but the game does like to take over quite a bit. The cut scenes are all done in game so it feels like the game takes over more as there is no obvious cut scene if that makes sense....

It’s good but I don’t think it’s as good as it’s been made out. For me it’s an 8/10 I would say that HZD is a better game. It’s nothing like the previous god of war games which I think is a shame in some ways.

Tbh I wish Kratos would stop saying “Boy” all the time too...... lol

Soldato
Just been reading some reviews on this. I can't take 10 out of 10 etc too seriously but by the same token I'm also not interested in 0/10. Seems like SCE have upset a lot of GoW fans with this release though!

Drawbacks / criticisms so far as I have read are:
  • Dodgy POV angle and camera particularly against more than 1 enemy.
  • Dull, repetitive combat.
  • No ability to jump.
  • Smaller, easier bosses.
  • Dumbed down combat in general (quick time button bashing).
  • Poor FPS performance in 4k mode and not great in 1080p (ie looks awesome as long as you are standing still).
  • Approx half the game is cut scenes.
  • Game is basically a variation of UC4 / TLOU formula and not very original.
  • This is NOT a God of War game (read this sooo many times).

So what say OCUK? Any truth to the above? I'm interested to hear a balanced view before I drop £50 on this.

Associate
That sounds like generally hyperbolic negativity to me.

It's obviously not a God of War game in terms of comparing to the legacy titles, because it's a reboot.
In terms of comparing to UC/TLOU, there's a familiar formula for storytelling and some other similar mechanics (interactive cutscenes, climbing etc) sure, but the meat of the game, the combat, makes it quite different to those games. Progression is structured quite differently too.

The combat is great imo, some of the most satisfying and flashy I've experienced in a game and plenty of variety. The only way it could seem dull/repetitive is if you were playing on the easiest difficulty and ignoring the skill tree and not using runes etc.

My only reservation is that the camera in combat can take some getting used to, Kratos generally attacks where the camera is facing and not the direction you are pushing the left stick, and the targeting system is not that reliable (you can easily lose a target lock). After a little while though moving the camera and using the 180 spin became second nature and the rhythm of combat really clicked.

God of War is my most enjoyed PS4 game so far.

Soldato
Never thought the crafting/gearing and skill trees would be as advance as they are.

So afraid atm to waste resources on crafting armour incase something better is out there lol.

It’s also great to see runes are so easily swapped out to set builds.

Back
Top Bottom