1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to see a 1yr old Volvo XC40 but 1st service done at 26,000

Discussion in 'Motors' started by TheOracle, Feb 9, 2019.

1. ade555

Gangster

typical practice from dealer, can I ask how much they want for it/spec and engine size?

2. ahenners

Wise Guy

+1. Regardless of what the dealer puts in writing around warranty, it's still potentially going to be more hassle than one serviced correctly to schedule. Future warranty claims, resale etc. I'd look for another example.

3. TheOracle

Capodecina

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It's a no on the Volvo.

4. TheOracle

Capodecina

28,500 IIRC D3 Momentum

5. jpaul

Sgarrista

the dealer can presumably access this via obd ? # of cold starts, high rpm during warm-up etc
    and could in theory set price according to wear

6. muon

Capodecina

I haven't serviced my car in 50K miles. If I do 3 services now, will it bring it back in line and fix the engine?

More seriously I'm not sure what bringing it back in line means. Surely there is no point in doing two oil changes in quick succession.

Also I bet you can go 26K miles without a service in some of the condition based servicing schedules.

7. TheOracle

Capodecina

Nothing to do with fixing the engine at all, it's simply to allow volvo to uphold the warranty. Irrelevant now, we've decided to look at something else.

as many have said on here, the engine will probably be fine......it's more warranty and resale value.

8. sovietspybob

Wise Guy

How many miles do you actually do per year?

9. 200sols

Wise Guy

That is crazy expensive for what is a base spec car and has been serviced wrong.

10. TheOracle

Capodecina

It's an auto, but we've walked away. Got the feeling the dealer wasn't remotely interested in moving on price due to service.

11. 200sols

Wise Guy

Good call. Looked at an XC40 myself recently, very nice car in the right spec, trouble was when I priced up all my options it was near £40k :eek:

12. TheOracle

Capodecina

Yeah, that's another problem with those. We looked at the Mazda and still a bit meh.

Now seen a 3008 in full GT spec which looks amazing.

13. Cyber-Mav

Capodecina

Suffice to say having done that high of mileage without oil change wont affect the car at all WITHIN ITS WARRANTY PERIOD.
    But it may have taken its toll further down the line.
    All depends on the engine itself. If its a sludger like the vw 1.8t then its doomed.