Golf Thread

Caporegime
I'm laying the blame at Clarke's door. Some bizarre decisions all round. Westwood should never have made the team and splitting the Spaniards up after the way they played was utterly foolish.

Clarke has too much of the old boys club about him in his selection and captaincy. Miguel Jimenez next please. Brilliant golfing brain.

Man of Honour
I'm laying the blame at Clarke's door. Some bizarre decisions all round. Westwood should never have made the team and splitting the Spaniards up after the way they played was utterly foolish.

Clarke has too much of the old boys club about him in his selection and captaincy. Miguel Jimenez next please. Brilliant golfing brain.

yep, tbh he had no choice to take all these rookies with him as they'd qualified for it, taking Lee just for the sake of a bit of experience failed

Caporegime
The Americans made so many putts, it was unbelievable almost like they couldn't miss.

Fantastic on the course, horrendously bad off it (fans) but then that's to be expected. Cheering every miss as much as a made putt, not in the spirit of the game at all.

Soldato
So guys

Im thinking of not renewing my membership this year. Getting tired of playing good golf and getting punished for it at our course. Basically its a heathland course setup really tight with almost links like punishing bounces and rough that if you hit it its lost ball. Cant even count the times this year where ive hit good tee shots walked up to what should be a fairway ball to discover its taken a stupid kick and is now missing, this is made worse by the number of blind tee shots we have.

Has anyone else gotten to the stage where theyve stopped for a week or two and realised they enjoy having the spare time more than playing golf? For reference im a 10/11 handicapper so its not like im duff shanking every shot i a relatively consistent player

Associate
I do get phases where I am a bit fed up with the results after playing what I consider good rounds. I would take a week or 2 off and then remember I don't play the game because I want to be a tour player but I enjoy the golf with the guys I go round with. Currently off 7 myself and play a course that sounds identical to yours (heathland, long rough, tight, short, and hard bounces) however if the weather is bright and the company is good I will be back the weekend after!

Associate
So guys

Im thinking of not renewing my membership this year. Getting tired of playing good golf and getting punished for it at our course. Basically its a heathland course setup really tight with almost links like punishing bounces and rough that if you hit it its lost ball. Cant even count the times this year where ive hit good tee shots walked up to what should be a fairway ball to discover its taken a stupid kick and is now missing, this is made worse by the number of blind tee shots we have.

Has anyone else gotten to the stage where theyve stopped for a week or two and realised they enjoy having the spare time more than playing golf? For reference im a 10/11 handicapper so its not like im duff shanking every shot i a relatively consistent player

Stuie,

That is Golf in a nutshell matey, us weekend hackers sometimes dont appreciate how difficult this is most of the time.

We watch golf on TV and see perfect golf we dont the see the players who are playing badly because it does not make for good TV. For example in a general USPGA or EuroPGA event there will be 140ish players in the field but you will only see the play from approx 10 to 15 players. You could even see that in the Ryder Cup on Sunday the coverage was all about Rory vs Reed and Sergio vs Phil. I think I only saw about 4 or 5 putts from Fitzpatrick and Chris Wood.

Personally I have worked exceptionally hard at golf getting my handicap down to a lowest of 3. Dont get me wrong I have won my fair share of trophies/medals/stablefords etc but this year I have been unable to play as much as normal due to work/family life/golf balance and I started to struggle hard and almost hit 6 handicap, I basically wasn't enjoying golf at all. After questioning myself on why I play and realizing that golf is hard and expensive so go out an just have fun regardless of the score, enjoy the good shots and forget the bad ones, as a result I have turned the corner and had my best ever year, winning 4 board comps including a county open event and the club champs.

So take a leaf out of my book, go out and have fun, enjoy the good shots, forget the bad ones, have the crack, take the **** out of your mates, take the **** out of yourself. Realize that Golf is exceptionally hard and that as 10 handicapper your better than 70% of the people that play golf.
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/comparing-your-handicap-index

Soldato
I was in the same boat at the club I used to be a member at. They grew the rough so high that anywhere outside of the first cut it was a lottery to find a ball. This, coupled with the ageing membership, the need some people felt to stop at the halfway house for 20 minutes but wouldn't let people through on comp days made rounds go over 5hrs on a regular basis. I just couldn't justify getting to the course at 10am for an 11am tee slot, walking off the course after 4pm for a couple of beers and putting your stuff away meant it was close to 6pm getting home.

Quit the club and haven't looked back since. Play social golf with my pals 3 or 4 times a month, we just rock up to a load of nice clubs on a Friday night or a sunday (some let us on Saturdays after the comps), pay a pittance compared to my membership and we all really enjoy it. I've even become a mystery tester for a golf rating company which means I can go round and test courses for them including the facilities, staff and courses. loving it now.

Associate
I have just got some new Callaway XR Steelhead irons properly fitted.

First round with them yesterday and I broke 90 first time every, 44 points off 26, looks like I am going to get a big cut.
The Steehead are on another planet compared to my old irons

Soldato
Stuie, which course in Dorset are you a member at?

I'm not a member of any club, I don't have the time to play more than once a week and with websites like teeofftimes giving access to most courses at a pretty decent discount I find it very difficult to justify a membership anywhere. I'd have to absolutely fall in love with a course to consider becoming a member there, or really want to play in competitions. The only downside to not being a member anywhere is that I don't have an official handicap so can't play at some of the nicer local courses. Having said that, I've still managed to play some of those courses thanks to business contacts and such.

Soldato
Knighton Heath

Played again this weekend in a par/bogey comp that I won last year finished 6 down another .1 back and another week passing by where I just dont have the heart to play golf. Got a stableford next week that honestly I dont want to play in either. Going into a comp that you dont even want to play in you know that its going to be another bad day

Love for the game totally gone

Associate
Hi chaps, question if you don't mind: Do any of you have any SharePoint Online (O365) experience? I'm looking to setup an online accessible golf league tracker for next summer.

Each Thursday some of us (that can make it) get together to play 12-18 holes depending on weather and light. Format is always stableford, £2 in and normally pay out for 1st, 2nd and 3rd with best front and back 9 as well.

I'd like to step it up next year by running an order of merit with a few extra little eclectic calcs such as most 2's over the summer, best front and back nine over all, lowest gross score etc etc.

I have O365 Business, with SharePoint online and OneDrive etc - would a good bet be to create this in Excel, chuck it on OneDrive and share it publicly? or can someone advise other ways?

I want it to be online, ideally some sort of website so it can look a bit snazzy and be publicly available to anyone that turns up to play (group can be anywhere from 6 to 30 of us)

Appreciate this is rather vague, but just spit-balling it for now as I have plenty of time to think about how to do it.

Many thanks all,

Associate
Anyone recommend some entry level clubs?

I went to Play Golf London last week driving range but felt achey the next day, specially rib area! I used to play years ago before hurting my back but want to get back into now.

Soldato
browse the ebay really.

Although what I would personally do is go to a fitting session get your stats and then go to ebay.

However anything by the big brands, Ping, Callaway, Taylormade, Mizuno etc will be good and clubs from 2/3 years ago will be cheap enough, a set of ping i20 irons can be had for between 150 and 250 off ebay

Back
Top Bottom