Golf Thread

Caporegime
Thank god Rory didn’t win it, cannot stand the guy.

Just a shame Tiger couldn’t pull it off today, my all time fave golfer. But to think he wasn’t playing for a few yrs and is now playing pretty damn well.

Associate
Tiger's got a 3-5 year window max to potentially win another major (or two), if he stays injury free and plays the way he's been playing in 2018 so far he has a realistic chance of breaking Sam Snead's total PGA wins record.

Its a small window, very unlikely he'll surpass Nicklaus (5 majors is Phil Mickleson's entire career), but he's consistently starting to become a top 20 player again which seemed almost impossible to ever happen again 12 months ago.

Soldato
Played local pitch and put yesterday, 1st round was awful, 2nd was much better. I struggle for distance so did much better when I switched for a 9iron for some of them. Need to grab myself one instead of using the clubs one.
I'm off to Carus Green in Kendal on Friday to have a o on the driving range. looks really nice on the internet.

Soldato
After using the same clubs for the past ~24/25 years I treated myself to a new Callaway XR 16 driver, went to the range today and oh boy. Now I want to refresh my irons too.

I also gave my wife's Callaway Steelhead XR 16 #4 hybrid a hit too...Not so sure I want to keep my clubs as 3-9,PW,SW anymore. Longest irons might change to hybrid...
Yeah, so I seem to have refreshed my bag a little apart from putter.

Gone from: Big Bertha Warbird driver, Wilson 3W+5W, Lynx Parallax 3-SW, Ping Zing putter
To: Callaway XR 16 driver, Callaway Steelhead XR 4+ wood, 3H, 4H, 5-9I, PW,AW, SW with graphite shafts and the same Ping Zing putter.

Irons are about 1ish club longer than my old ones, not surprising with the decreased loft and slightly increased length, definitely more forgiving though. The hybrids just launch the ball into the distance.

Soldato
Isn't it on that new stupid sports channel? Eleven or something like that?

Getting fed up with sport and the need for 3/4/5 subs to watch things. Competition is only good for the companies not us mugs.

Soldato
Yeah the idea that competition helps keep prices down only works if multiple companies have comparable coverage of the same sport, otherwise you're just needlessly dividing the userbase. If the government were really concerned about significant price hikes in the event of a monopoly they could just bring in regulations limiting the percentage price increase a company is allowed to implement per year. Until Sky lose majority rights to the football and golf I refuse to pay for another subscription.

On another note, I went to the range this past weekend and hit the ball better than I ever have, and that's after having not played golf much at all this year. I think I have the tendency to overthink the golf swing when I'm playing a lot.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Signed up for the 7 day trial. Going to cancel it on Monday.

Actually looks good through Chrome on my htpc. It's using the American commentators, with the obligatory shot of rose bushes every time the US broadcasters go to commercial (so every 10 minutes).

Associate
Paid the whole £49.99 up front (yeah I know I'm a mug), I actually quite like the coverage so far, I heard Kevin Keatings is being hired for La Liga coverage (the bloke who did it on Sky for 17 years).

Anyway, Tiger was having a mare today and managed to claw it back to level par. Scrambled well, a couple of under par score's in rounds 2 and 3 and he'd be well in contention for the final day.

Soldato
Signed up for the free week too, I don't mind the coverage, the two guys hosting are a little abrupt ending the interviews, no sky cart but im happy seeing more golf than interviews and adverts. That betting ad is beginning to wear though..

Nice to see a fair few golfers recognising Jarrod Lyle's passing too.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Fantastic final day. Tiger's most certainly back.

Oh and Eleven Sports logged out EVERYONE at midnight. Precisely just as Brooks was about to tap in the final putt :D

Associate
Tiger will be a real threat at the majors next year if he stays healthy, his iron play today was sensational, like the Woods of old, driving was a bit **** though.

Woods big problem also was first round when finished on level par allowing the others to pull 3-5 shots away from him and then from then on he was always playing catch up. Even at the Open he started 4 shots back on the final day which is still a big ask, if he could get into position and start no more than 1 or 2 shots back, or even better, as the front runner, you'd feel he'd be clutch enough to see it out.

Associate
Such a funny game. Played an open competition at a place near st andrews at the weekend called Balcomie Links. I've played their annual competition a few times over the years, it's a nice links with a bit of character and a couple of downright intidating holes - one in particular, the 5th, I've carded an 11 on, and most recently a 15!

So, started my round reasonably well. Got to the 5th tee with the honour. Heart was pounding a bit, not helped by having to wait for a few walkers to move up the coastal path out of harms way.

Picked a line, committed to it and nailed the drive. Playing partners carded a 10 and 11 each and I walked off with a safe 5. From there I ended up breaking 80 for the first time ever, scored -6 nett (and that included around 5 three putts).

Such a daft round I reckon that will be the first time my handicap has been cut for about 2 years. Chuffed to bits though!

Soldato
Such a funny game. Played an open competition at a place near st andrews at the weekend called Balcomie Links. I've played their annual competition a few times over the years, it's a nice links with a bit of character and a couple of downright intidating holes - one in particular, the 5th, I've carded an 11 on, and most recently a 15!

So, started my round reasonably well. Got to the 5th tee with the honour. Heart was pounding a bit, not helped by having to wait for a few walkers to move up the coastal path out of harms way.

Picked a line, committed to it and nailed the drive. Playing partners carded a 10 and 11 each and I walked off with a safe 5. From there I ended up breaking 80 for the first time ever, scored -6 nett (and that included around 5 three putts).

Such a daft round I reckon that will be the first time my handicap has been cut for about 2 years. Chuffed to bits though!

Crail? Played there a few times, lovely couple of courses. I played it one February when there was ice on the inside of a mates caravan it was that cold, we were thinking of jacking it in on the 1st tee when we saw some surfers in the water, god they must have been cold!

Back
Top Bottom