Golf Thread

Soldato
errrr - ok.

Think I might need to check this but after my 3 rounds for Handicap, I've been awarded a handicapp on the SGU/HDID apps of ..... 10.9 :eek::eek:

No chance that can be right....

I'm NEVER currently a 10/11 handicap golfer...

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with it as SGU/HDID app when it was set up for me was showing my old handicapp of 8.4 from 8 years ago. (not played in all that time) I'm wondering if that's had an affect on it.

I mean I was 8 over through 4 yesterday!!

Soldato
On the golf forum I frequent, loads of people have said their handicaps are a lot lower than previously with the new world handicap system.

I don't know enough about it to fully understand why though.

I haven’t updated my location sadly, I play at Longridge just to the east of Preston and live up that way now, just I work in Manchester :)

Ah fair enough!

I hope there's more tee times available near you than there is here. I'm not a member anywhere so I only have the 2 municipal courses to play until 12th April as all the others are only allowing members for the first few weeks.

There's absolutely no tee times available for the first week and even the second week, it's only late tee times with barely enough time to get the full 18 in. I think it's time to join a local club again.

Associate
Finally going to get back into golf after a long hiatus from last being a member - joined my local club the other day, can't wait for it to re-open.

Live right next door to the course as well, only a 4 minute walk from front door to the first tee so I'm intending to get out as much as possible.

Soldato
Played today - very windy - decent front nine but poor back nine - ball striking into the wind is a killer for me.

In the Vice versus Snell debate - Loving the Snell MTB-X. played 17 holes before loosing it but lovely feel, nice check/stop on the greens and feels nice off the putter. Will give the Vice another go but liking the Snell so far.

Soldato
I moved from Prov1's to Snell mid season last year, don't see me going back tbh. I buy the trial dozen packs as I've still not made my mind up over the MTB or the MTB-X.
I am not sure the Vice is as durable as the Snell and Prov1.

Soldato
Played today. Gave up counting score after 10 holes.

I striped my very first shot down the middle of the fairway with driver and it was all downhill from there.

I can't wait to get back out and play again!

Soldato
Played today. Gave up counting score after 10 holes.

I striped my very first shot down the middle of the fairway with driver and it was all downhill from there.

I can't wait to get back out and play again!

that's the classic golfers hope! Always next time.

Back out today - first comp of the year for me, playing with 2 4 handicappers should be interesting! Playing off 12 currently and looks like until I have lots more scores in under the new handicap rules - My handicap will change a lot. Already gone up 1 full shot just from last weeks round. Mate of mine has come down 3 shots from 21.7 to 18.7 in a single round despite shooting 95!!

Soldato
Recently joined a local club after 25 years away from golf. I never joined one back in the day but thought I probably should now. Had played a couple of times on a municipal around the lockdowns but recently the queues up there were a good hour to tee off.

So far I have invested, if you can call it that, only £20 on an old set of clubs and had a few gifts such as a bag and a hybrid or two.

I've played at the club twice, both times on my own but will look out for groups going forward. I do find it better playing with others, even strangers, but having only two players per group here in Wales does make it tricky. The guy who got me back into golf, it turns out isn't actually allowed out by his Mrs.

I hit a lot of bad shots but it's those moments of brilliance which keep me coming back for more.

Soldato
Cold again today but dry....Horrible triple bogie start but battled back well to shoot 83 gross (71 net)

Met with the local pro today as well to start getting some idea of fitting. Can only be outdoors until 26th April when we can use the indoor simulator, but he had the trackman so we headed to the practice area.

Had to carry all the stuff out so we tried P790 Taylormade heads and Ping i500 heads on various shafts. I'm on the border line, swing speed wise, between X-flex and S-flex. One thing he did say to consider is that whilst X-flex might work now, as we get older (I'm 44 currently) - swing speed slows down so could begin to struggle a bit more. To offset that - a Stiff flex but slightly heavier shaft is probably a better option.

Hit a number of shots with both heads/shafts/lengths etc.

So initial thoughts I liked the i500 heads better, 1/2 inch longer shaft and in the region of 2 or 3 degrees upright. Decent flight, much lower initial take off, spin rate way down (from around 6500/6800 with current g10's to 5400/5600) with the above set up.

Shafts were stiff 120g Dynamic Gold.

Once things open up properly - we can potentially fine tune that and consider the various driver/3 wood options.

I also have a full bag fitting re-scheduled at www.sggt.co.uk on 27th April assuming Scottish lockdown easing continues..... Exciting times.

Back
Top Bottom