Golf Thread

Soldato
Played the Golf Pairs thing at Cricket St. Thomas today, early start (alarm at 4:30!!) cause I got the tee time in a sale when it was £15. Ended up in a two ball, was supposed to be a 3 ball but the 3-ball ahead had 2 people not turn up so rather than merging into a 4-ball we split into 2x 2-balls which makes way more sense :p Got round pretty quickly all told.

Course was decent, good condition given the rain recently, bit soft in places but for the most part some nice bounce and roll out. Apparently they get quite windy sometimes being elevated a bit but today was lovely, sunny and calm.

Played ok to start off with but just fell apart on the back 9, got 14 points on the front 9 and 6 on the back. Ouch.

Given I had the lesson yesterday I basically ignored that for today, although I did feel my Iron striking had improved, not going left but much better than it had been so probably retained some muscle memory of getting the face closed. Putting was terrible. Driving went off the boil. Why do we play this terrible game :D :p

Used to be in all the time, now it's out almost all the time, but kinda don't mind, as long as the flag stick isn't leaning towards me I'll leave it in if others don't want it out. Today's round and my usual bunch everyone is generally happy with it out so it was out all the time.

Recently got the Garmin R10 for the local range, seems to work pretty well for the most part. Not tried it in a net yet though, I think for home stuff in the net you'd want to get the RCT balls for improved accuracy but dunno if I'd bother if you're talking about nets at courses for warmup?

There's other options as well, think the Rhapsodo MLM2 Pro needs the dotted balls for spin data though which doesn't seem great for range usage at least. @Zeebedy replaced his with something else didn't he? Or am I thinking of someone else...

yes mate, I went down the route of a SkyTrak+ unit. top machine, very accurate and simple to use.

Associate
Proud owner!

xkFqnjK.jpg

Soldato
Has anyone used any of the golf travel companies? Looking at maybe doing a trip to Portugal (or similar) towards the end of the year, just wondered if anyone had any good/bad experiences :p

Associate
Course closed AGAIN today. Captain and pro qualifier tomorrow, so guess it'll be closed tomorrow too or temps a plenty. Honestly SO fed up of rain!

Soldato
Just curious as to what everyone does flag-wise when putting - in or out? Granted a lot of you guys play comps where you probably take the flag out but what about in just normal rounds?

We've always played with the flag in (in my 3 years of playing, mate has been playing a lot longer) but had one putt on Sunday that threw me right off and I'm solely putting it down to the flag being out. His ball was right on my line so he finished it off and I had about 6 foot to go - hadn't missed one from within that range all day - but he lifted the flag to pop his ball out and I had already started my process so I said for him to leave it out. I crumbled it and missed by a mile - the flag not being in absolutely rattled me to the point that it felt like I had no idea what I was doing. I seem to rely very heavily on the flag as a reference.

Long range - like 20/25ft or more - I keep it in for reference.

Under that take it out....

Associate
I played 2 of Norfolks finest last weekend.

Sherringham and Royal Cromer

Both were in fantastic condition 40mph winds at Sherringham and 20mph at Cromer 30 points at Sherringham and 32 at Cromer

Sherringham 1st and Cromer 2nd

Lvkb4Ai.jpg

EBmXVmM.jpg
Being a Norfolk lad, these are on my list to play, at some point in the future.

Soldato
Played Royal Cromer back at the end of last summer/early autumn and it was lovely :)

Out for the normal game yesterday, disappointing score really but a combination of trying to figure out a new swing and just making a few slight mistakes that cost shots. Was quite annoyed/upset with myself afterwards but actually reviewing the shots today (another plus for the garmin tags, other tags are availabe </finch>) I really did hit some lovely shots, even 4 holes where I missed the green to the left but distance was perfect, do definitely some good things to take from the round.

Playing Sunday and Monday, back to Stockwood Vale on Monday for the 4th time I think, it was the first course I played and yet to get a half-way decent round around there :p

Associate
In the market for a compact trolley if anyone has any recommendations as to what I should be considering?

Currently eyeing up PowaKaddy DLX Lite FF and Micra. Need to check measurements on the later to see if it will fit in my boot without folding seats down, which is my preference. Unfortunately not seen anywhere local that has them to check in person. Anything smaller out there?

Played this afternoon, glorious! Shorts got there first outing of the year :) Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Associate
Got so used to carrying over winter that I am actually tempted to carry on carrying all year. I have a S1 36 hole trolley that I haven't used since September, however I don't want to part ways with it yet.

Went out yesterday morning to say it was saturated underfoot was an understatement! Hopefully it'll be a bit better this afternoon, evening golf vibe today! No one 2-3 tee times around us and next to no wind. I can't wait!

Soldato
Played for the first time in 7 weeks the other day. Hit a 100. I'm actually ok with that as the conditions were....challenging let's say. The windiest I've ever played in. I played the best Tee shot and approach on hole 1, then 4 putted! :o
It's because the practice green was waterlogged so I had been smashing it to get it anywhere. Hole 1 played like a normal green so I went past the hole twice by miles.

I noticed that if I want to fade a shot, I can do it with any club. Ask me to draw and I can do it sometimes with irons, but no control. Cannot draw my drives.

Soldato
In the market for a compact trolley if anyone has any recommendations as to what I should be considering?

Currently eyeing up PowaKaddy DLX Lite FF and Micra. Need to check measurements on the later to see if it will fit in my boot without folding seats down, which is my preference. Unfortunately not seen anywhere local that has them to check in person. Anything smaller out there?

Played this afternoon, glorious! Shorts got there first outing of the year :) Hopefully a sign of things to come.
Powakaddy CT6 is very small if you pop the wheels off it (very simple one click) - I'm happy with mine. 18 hole battery but never seen it under half power left after 18 holes.

Soldato
18 holes today - t shirt weather after first few holes....

Hit ball ok - putting was woeful - very inconsitant early season greens so one was quick, next was slow etc..... Did something I don't think I've done in 15+ years...... 4 putt'd one green. Left first putt about 6 ft short from 30 ft. Then lipped next one out and it spun out to about 4ft and missed that.... Terrible display today.

83 gross overall. Got next 3 rounds "dropping" off my handicapp so might go back up for first time in a while.

Some practice this week needed - Got a double header next weekend with a mate.

Dundonald Links on Sunday, and Barassie Links on Monday - 2 ball Stableford comp. Looking forward to it assuming the weather is good!!

Soldato
Out again today, I hate this game sometimes :p

My long game which has been pretty solid but now it's fallen to bits. On the plus side the my putting and chipping that has been trash was pretty solid today.

Back when I hit some <90's I was playing so consistently compared to the last month or more, really kinda irritating...

E: To add, part of the long game issues poor tee shots, I was 3 off the tee 3 times, that's 6 shots just there thrown away.

With the putter also I switched back to the mallet (TM Spider GT Rollback) after some poor putting rounds, the lie angle is different to my 'new' Wilson Infinite Windy City blade so switched back today and averaged 1.9 putts, happy with that really, who needs forgiveness :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom