Golf Thread

Soldato
I realised this last summer - instead of trying to kill it, smoothly does it. Weirdly enough, started playing a lot better! I made better contact with the ball when I swang slower, so didn't sacrifice any distance - in fact in some instances gained it!
I've gone through the same thing, by keeping everything slower and smooth I have a lovely ball flight and it goes miles. Probably still getting similar speed at impact which is where it counts but finding the centre of the club face more frequently.

Take it to tempo town!

Associate
Just when I thought we were over all the bad weather :rolleyes: Heavy thunderstorms here last night, both courses closed today along with several holes on the par 3 course. Beyond a joke now, England Golf will need to be extending winter rules through June at this rate! Overcast today and light rain forecast overnight/tomorrow morning before brightening up in the afternoon. Got a round booked for Friday after work so expecting it will be very soggy if course is open. Saturday looks good but more light rain forecast for Sunday - where I'm booked in for the Anniversary Cup (mixed singles stroke play).

Last edited:
Soldato
We had some thunderstorms and rain but not 'too' bad it seems, well course still open, buggies back to path-only at the Bristol course... I think we had summer that Friday like 3 weeks back.

Had my singles knockout match today, paired with a guy that's basically the same handicap as me, I had 1 shot which was on the 10th hole, and for once the handicaps/the way we played actually seemed to work out, it was a really close match overall.

His short game seemed to take a bit of time to warm up so he made some mistakes with chipping/putting early on which got me to 2-up but then it was level for a bit, my short game took a bit of a break around 9-12 or so and he took advantage nicely and got it to 1-down (from my perspective) but got back into it and we started the 18th with my 1-up and after a frankly stunning 4th shot putting me to ~8 foot that was basically it. 2-up at the end and onto the next round \o/

Commissario
Well as promised, some photos of the new haul...

UytGZp1.jpeg

OhPDujd.jpeg

Also went for a chat with American Golf and had a fitting today as I'm not getting on with the Qi10's that I won recently. I've since stuck them up for sale (anyone want a hybrid/3W/driver?!) and I've just been fitted for a Ping G430 Max which I can actually hit consistently. I've also ordered the G430 7W to support the hybrid or use it for those higher straight shots, should be coming in a few weeks!

zsUXKNC.jpeg

Played with the new Scotty and wedges on Tuesday in the glorious late afternoon sunshine, shame the weather has gone to **** now :(

Soldato
How many of you guys use a 9 degree driver? Mine is a 10.5 but I feel I lose distance as my drives go uber high. I don't have real numbers but just judging by eye, they seem to moon sometimes. I think this also is putting more spin and fade on it sometimes. I have a tendency to fade my drivers if anything. I find drawing driver very hard.
EDIT: I top out at 280 down the range currently.

EDIT2: Found some stats from some previous top tracer sessions:

Shot 1
Distance: 257 yards
Flat carry: 239 yards
Ball speed: 154mph
Launch angle: 15 degrees
Height: 35 yards
Landing angle: 40 degrees
Hang time: 6 seconds

Shot 2
Distance: 276 yards
Flat carry: 245 yards
Ball speed: 156mph
Launch angle: 11 degrees
Height: 26 yards

Last edited:
Soldato
a question on irons.. :cry:

How crucial is shaft? I play a S300 stiff atm but wondering if I went this shaft in regular, would it impact my game massively?

Also, what is peoples experience on jumbo golf grips?

Last edited:
Soldato
How many of you guys use a 9 degree driver? Mine is a 10.5 but I feel I lose distance as my drives go uber high. I don't have real numbers but just judging by eye, they seem to moon sometimes. I think this also is putting more spin and fade on it sometimes. I have a tendency to fade my drivers if anything. I find drawing driver very hard.

Shot 1

Shot 2
I have my driver at 9 degrees, I've always had a really high ball flight which I have worked on over the past year but any more than 9 and it goes to the moon I feel.

Associate

Shot 1

Shot 2
I don't have the stats but I seen a noticeable difference when I dropped my driver down from 10.5 to 9. Longer and straighter with a proper penetrating flight.

Associate

How crucial is shaft? I play a S300 stiff atm but wondering if I went this shaft in regular, would it impact my game massively?

I'd say it's probably the most important part of the club. If you've got a faster swing speed and move to a regular shaft, I can only imagine your game will change massively but not in a good way.

My grips aren't necessarily jumbo but it's a mid-size grip with 3 wraps of tape so probably verges on jumbo and I get a much, much better grip. Before I got my Vokeys, I had just normal grips with a single wrap and felt like I struggled to grip the club. I need them because of the size of my hands due to being a 'freak' height-wise according to a couple of people in here! :D

Soldato

Shot 1

Shot 2

I currently have a Mini driver at 11.5 degrees, that has a fairly high ball flight, but not too bad. However that's a smaller head, 3 wood shaft etc.

My old driver at ~8 degrees I also hit high - I have a tendency to "snap" through, creating more loft - if you're driving fairways consistently, at 280 yards, then I'd stick with that!

Soldato

Just to be clear - your "topping" out at 280 and your concerned?? That's WAY above average distance for amateur....

Without knowing ball spin rate - it's hard to say. Also the angle of attack/path of your club will have a huge bearing on flight of your driver.

Moving down to 9 degree or less creates other issues - launch angle goes down, peak height "may" come down but doesn't mean more distance. Less loft means generally less spin and harder to control.

If you want to properly understand - you'll need to get a proper CGQuad/Trackman fitting.

Most obvious changes could be the ball you play with and the shaft in the driver.... Shaft is more important than head/loft combo. Shaft is all about the launch.... I'm a generally a low launch/low spin player so I need to play with 10.5 degrees loft and a "spinner" ball to get ideal launch on the driver.

One of the biggest changes I would say in the last 2 years for me is playing with the same model ball ALL the time..... Get so much more consistent with it on irons/chips/putts etc as it's the same feel all the time. (Pro v1x)

Soldato

What' wrong to make you think about changing shafts?? Also jumbo grips are usually to help with wrist issues as you don't tend to grip it as hard etc.

Unless you have MASSIVE hands, I don't see why you would need anything over a standard / mid size grip.

Soldato
Strange one today - I suppose the "quirks" of the New Handicap system.

In the old system you generally had your handicap and that was it 6.5 - therefore playing off 7 at any/all courses.

However at my home course off 6.5 I get 7 off the yellows and 8 off the whites....

Playing with a mate today at another local course.....

I get 5 off the whites and 3 (!!!!) off the yellows.... Whilst I get the course is shorter and potentially "easier" - that was very tough standing on the 1st hole knowing I only get 3 shots off the yellows for the whole round.....Proceeded to bogie the 1st!

Shot 75 scratch (par 69) - couple of nice birdies, no doubles which was decent. Out in 35 but poor back 9 of 40.....

Soldato
Just to be clear - your "topping" out at 280 and your concerned?? That's WAY above average distance for amateur....

But that's a bit like a school teacher saying that they won't worry about those at the top of the class, but will focus only on those below average or at the bottom. There's no reason why those at the top of a class can't also be pushed to achieve even more and fulfil their full potential. :)
I top out at 280 when I smash one and I can't reliably reproduce that. Although that is using range balls obviously. I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't feel I hit it that far. (250-260 average on course probably). I play with a 15 year old that can out drive me almost every shot, and reliably so. He does play off 5 though.
If I can add another 10-20 yards just by changing to a 9 degree, then I was thinking I could dial back my swing to be more reliable whilst still maintaining the same distance I currently peak at. It's just an observation but mine do seem to go high.

Last edited:
Soldato
But that's a bit like a school teacher saying that they won't worry about those at the top of the class, but will focus only on those below average or at the bottom. There's no reason why those at the top of a class can't also be pushed to achieve even more and fulfil their full potential. :)
I top out at 280 when I smash one and I can't reliably reproduce that. Although that is using range balls obviously. I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't feel I hit it that far. (250-260 average on course probably). I play with a 15 year old that can out drive me almost every shot, and reliably so. He does play off 5 though.
If I can add another 10-20 yards just by changing to a 9 degree, then I was thinking I could dial back my swing to be more reliable whilst still maintaining the same distance I currently peak at. It's just an observation but mine do seem to go high.

Taken from Arcoss a couple of years ago - Average driving distance for amateurs .... (remember these are averages and include the 300 yard bombs and your 150 yard duck hooks!)

20 handicap: 205.2 yards
15-20 handicap: 211.2 yards
10-15 handicap: 220.4 yards
5-10 handicap: 230.3 yards
0-5 handicap: 237.8 yards
< 0 handicap: 239.6 yards

So your WAY above average at 250-260.... Stop focusing on distance.... Whether a 15 year old out drives you or not, makes no difference.

What counts in golf? Your own score.... Yes getting it closer to the hole off the tee, "usually" makes for less club into the green - But do you hit the green regularly?

100/150 yards and in, short game, putting.... That's the focus to reduce your handicap/improve.

I play with a 72 year old guy at times - his average driver is my 5 iron (around 180-190) - He plays off 2.4 handicap at 72 years old. From 100 yards and in, he's deadly... Like 10/15ft all the time, holes then maybe 1 in 3 or 4 of those putts... He might take 3 shots to reach some 400 yard+ par 4's/par 5's but I bet you at worse he's walking off with a 5....lots of the time a 4.....

Focus on what matters - and if your really hitting it 250/260 average with driver, then your focus should absolutely NOT be on distance and hitting it further - it should be on the other "weakness" in your game.

Soldato
Out for the usual Friday game today, just two of us today and I always find that better, just leads to a much more relaxed and unrushed round that helps me keep steadier than if people are rushing etc

Started off really well, very 'loose' and just trying to keep a nice smooth swing together, was level par through the first 3 holes (bogey, birdie, par) is always nice, I thought during the game that I kept that smoothness up but reviewing the round on Garmin now I think maybe I got a bit tired/tight/stressed towards the end.

Still, an 89 to replace the 89 from that course that's going off my handicap record :p Just keeping the ball in play and keeping myself calm kinda makes it easy. Did lose one ball on the 17th, made a double-bogey which I guess is 'ok' for me, obviously better to not lose a ball/get the penalty but at least I kept it together.

Soldato
well, I have decided after advice from yourself and other golf nuts! to get a fitting.

I don't know why it never crossed my mind, but my pro does fittings, and the bay is like £27 odds to use (with trackman) and will least know where I'm at.

after losing a lot of confidence in my current custom fit!

Soldato
well, I have decided after advice from yourself and other golf nuts! to get a fitting.

I don't know why it never crossed my mind, but my pro does fittings, and the bay is like £27 odds to use (with trackman) and will least know where I'm at.

after losing a lot of confidence in my current custom fit!

get fitted - see where your at and stick with the clubs going forward.

Unless you make drastic swing changes - once your fit, that should be you.

I had two fittings 10 years apart - both times came out with clubs 0.5" longer and 2 degrees upright.....

Back
Top Bottom