Golf Thread

Commissario
Went down the range the other day and lost all ability to hit balls at all. Every iron shot went a yard off the floor and right. Pretty sure they were all coming off the hosel. Embarrassing. Ended up giving up and going home. :O I'm hoping it's one of those weird days where I'll go back and will be able to hit again.
I've had this before, reduce your back swing to 1/4 swing and gradually increase, and slow it right down too!

Soldato
Went down the range the other day and lost all ability to hit balls at all. Every iron shot went a yard off the floor and right. Pretty sure they were all coming off the hosel. Embarrassing. Ended up giving up and going home. :O I'm hoping it's one of those weird days where I'll go back and will be able to hit again.

Same as Maccy really, try slower swings, even chipping it, just mixing it up, different clubs even. If needs be just call it a day and go home, like you did, go back tomorrow/'soon' and it'll be fine I'm sure :)

Think we all have days/periods like that though :p

Associate
Had a play in at the new club I'm hoping to join yesterday. What was meant to be a couple of holes turned out to be the full 18 and all ended well with a beer. Hope to join by the weekend and take advantage of some good weather!

One of the guys was a 8hcp and within 150yards was absolutely deadly. Never 3 putted either and on the holes he missed the green, his chip shots were teasing the hole. Beautiful to watch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same for me today. I eventually ironed it out, but I must have shanked about 20 straight at one point... I think I found that turning my hips at the end of the swing stopped me from over extending or something... I must have been pushing the hozel down into the ball...

Associate
So Iv been doing a lot of overtime at work, so haven’t had the time to play a round the last two weeks. But have managed a couple of sessions down the range. So Saturday my driver was awful, irons were great and straight. Tonight, the other way driver straight with good distance and my irons where shocking…

Associate
Has anyone got a hybrid and a utility iron?

Got a 3 hybrid that I'm absolutely hopeless with and been on the fence about replacing it with a utility iron instead. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts/opinions on it?

Soldato

Got a 3 hybrid that I'm absolutely hopeless with and been on the fence about replacing it with a utility iron instead. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts/opinions on it?
I carry a 3 hybrid and a 2 iron (Ping Crossover). I find the hybrid a lot easier to hit off the deck, at least.

Associate

Iv got a cobra one length hybrid, I picked up 2nd hand I am little hit and miss with it. Have found it helpful in the rough. But I am still relatively new to the game and learning all the time.

Soldato
Just back from collecting my golf clubs. I had a £40 discount from the fitting, and today it cost me £134!

Couldn’t believe the value.. that’s all 12 out of 14 (driver and 3 wood didn’t need a extension) with new midsize golf pride grips and saved the grip on the putter.

So now all my wedges, irons, woods and putter (with 2 inch extension) all fitted for my size.

But man the change in grip thickness fills me with confidence even just holding them..

Will be out in the net for a hour or two, and back to the course beginning of next week!

Soldato
Just back from collecting my golf clubs. I had a £40 discount from the fitting, and today it cost me £134!

Couldn’t believe the value.. that’s all 12 out of 14 (driver and 3 wood didn’t need a extension) with new midsize golf pride grips and saved the grip on the putter.

So now all my wedges, irons, woods and putter (with 2 inch extension) all fitted for my size.

But man the change in grip thickness fills me with confidence even just holding them..

Will be out in the net for a hour or two, and back to the course beginning of next week!
Nice. I sometimes pick up my sons wedges with thicker grips and they feel nice. My putter has a thick grip too. My woods though, I can't use thick grips on. Not sure why.

Soldato
Nice. I sometimes pick up my sons wedges with thicker grips and they feel nice. My putter has a thick grip too. My woods though, I can't use thick grips on. Not sure why.

yeah, Its all subjective I guess, I had just been out for a few hours, but started to play some real bad shots after a while, when I get fatigued my ball striking goes **** up fast!

Soldato
Picked my new p790s up and obviously headed straight to the range, club feels great when I hit the ball good. I’ve still got the over draw/pull shot which needs ironing out and I’ve already managed to use all parts of the face including the hosel lol.

What I have noticed though is there between a club to half a club shorter than my old set, not sure if it’ll make a difference in real terms aside from hurting ego a little with the mates using power bats.

Last edited:
Soldato
Picked my new p790s up and obviously headed straight to the range, club feels great when I hit the ball good. I’ve still got the over draw/pull shot which needs ironing out and I’ve already managed to use all parts of the face including the hosel lol.

What I have noticed though is there between a club to half a club shorter than my old set, not sure if it’ll make a difference in real terms aside from hurting ego a little with the mates using power bats.

what were your previous irons? I find with the forged there is a big drop off, but it doesn't bother me as much as I would rather control over a few yards..or whatever it is...

Back
Top Bottom