Golf Thread

Associate
Thought I'd take advantage of the relatively dry weather last night and played the front 9 at my local. Left the driver and the woods at home and took my new Srixon Utility Iron with me for tee shots, took my time over everything, didn't play any hero shots and didn't try anything stupid with regards chipping. Shot 38, my best ever score over 9 holes!

Teacher was thrilled when I emailed him my notes this morning.

Three key things we've worked on in the last 2 months:

Learning to feel/hit my natural draw swing and controlling how much the ball moves in the air. I can now pretty consistently hit low and high draws with between 5 - 15 yards of movement on them.

Learning to feel the difference between a 'straight' shot and a draw. This has been a real revelation. Learning the difference between what the body needs to do for varying shot shapes has given me a broader understanding of my swing overall.

Fixing my flippy hands at impact. This has been the hardest thing to fix since I started lessons last year. I'm getting there, but it's something I struggle to trust on the course and I end up getting stuck in the transition and fatting shots, especially with long irons.

Soldato
I use the Golfpride MCC+4, although I basically only bought those cause they came in an Orange SKU :D

Golf Pride Multi Compound Plus4 Midsize Golf Grip here as well - std size plus 3 wraps. That comes close to the midsize but just under felt better than midsize on it's own

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Wedges, thinking about buying a couple. In my bag I currently have a PW 42.5as a part of my iron set and an Alien 54 sand wedge what I picked up for the grand total of £8.50.
Was thinking about picking up a 50 and 58. Maybe even replacing my current 54. Would be looking at 2nd wedges.

Soldato
Wedges, thinking about buying a couple. In my bag I currently have a PW 42.5as a part of my iron set and an Alien 54 sand wedge what I picked up for the grand total of £8.50.
Was thinking about picking up a 50 and 58. Maybe even replacing my current 54. Would be looking at 2nd wedges.

I have these..

great wedges, my teaching pro reckons that Cleveland are up there with the best when It comes to wedges..

Associate
I have these..

great wedges, my teaching pro reckons that Cleveland are up there with the best when It comes to wedges..
I have looked at some of the old Cleveland wedges. Some Ping glide 2 or 3. Today I have a decent set looking set of cobra snake bite wedges on eBay of a half decent price.
The other opinion is to buy some a cheap set, until my game really improves. I keep seeing the Lazarus wedge set on social media and they are decent price and some reviews highly rate them for the price.

Soldato
I have looked at some of the old Cleveland wedges. Some Ping glide 2 or 3. Today I have a decent set looking set of cobra snake bite wedges on eBay of a half decent price.
The other opinion is to buy some a cheap set, until my game really improves. I keep seeing the Lazarus wedge set on social media and they are decent price and some reviews highly rate them for the price.

before I changed my wedges, I used some RAM 52, 56 and 60 degree. and they were awesome budget wedges, they really were, I though it was like 70-80 quid for the three also! :eek:

Soldato

their's on social media for a reason... No one would buy them in a golf shop/pro's shop.

Check out Kirkland Wedges - cheap but very well reviewed.

Any of the older SM6/7/8 range from Titleist would still be decent.

Associate
their's on social media for a reason... No one would buy them in a golf shop/pro's shop.

I genuinely agree with you, hence why I have been looking at 2nd sets.

Soldato

The Lazrus stuff is pretty decent imo, I'd expect them to be pretty similar to the Kirkland/RAM stuff really.

I had them before my Mizuno T24's and only really replaced them because the gapping was off after getting the Dynapowers... Same might be applicable to inflames though with them (and the Kirkland iirc) being a 52-degree gap wedge alongside a 42.5 degree PW.

Yeah the Mizuno's are nicer but they're also way more expensive, they're not that much nicer...

Soldato
I just picked up an SM8 50 degree from Golfbidder for about £92, almost mint condition
Same - Callaway MD4 50 degree, Golfbidder tend to errr on the side of caution when it comes to describing the condition of clubs, so you're more often than not surprised by the standard.

Edit - plus they take trade-ins, so I traded 3 of my older wedges for 1 much newer one - ended up costing me net £25!

Last edited:
Soldato
OMG, after about 3 hours I finally managed to construct this monstrosity.. instructions were horrendous, but has been worth it, going to get more sandbags and horse shoe spikes to spike the right side that's on the grass by a couple of inches.

xOYQpIw.jpg

GfdRG9d.jpg

jYeCsq0.jpg

Zfztpxc.jpg

Will get the setup finished tomorrow..and also my den caddy arrived today after my ball bucket broke so I treaded myself! :cry:

It is absolutely stunning, the quality is great on this, eBay of course..

cve1Qi8.jpg

apBInOw.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Usual Friday game today, course really is improving nicely with the dry weather we've been having. No longer need hedgehogs on the trolley and soon it'll be buggies on the fairways, good times \o/

Yet another wildly inconsistent game, 3 capped scores/pickups which is awful but otherwise some ok golf.

Also played Stockwood Vale yesterday a bit last minute, 5th time playing it and I am getting better at it but it's still so hard for me it seems. Did manage a nice par on the 16th, par 5, hit my driver 231 (total, not a great contact really but shows the level of bounce/roll going on) and then for my 2nd I took out a 3w and aimed for a bunker that I assumed I wouldn't get to. Actually assumed I'd hit a fade/slide which would turn towards the hole and be good but instead I striped the 3w dead straight into the bunker and then luckily bounced just out the other side, that was 199 yards even after the bunker shenanigans! :p

In other news, got an email from TaylorMade... https://www.taylormadegolf.co.uk/P790-Aged-Copper/N2920907.html Do want. So much want. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom