Golf Thread

Associate
Congratulations @MR_Punk, amazing!

Played today in the medal, round in 80 (+1 nett) which was decent. 40 putts though!! Absolutely shocking.

During the week I managed 2 GIR or something, today it was about 15 GIR with a few decent birdie looks and left completely empty handed.

As always loads to build on

Soldato
just home from a round today. Amazing the change in the course in a week.... Greens very quick and hard already.... Couldn't putt to save myself today. Missed a couple of short ones then doubled the last for a poor 83 gross... Couldn't get to grips with the pace change since last week....

Soldato
Played to my handicap for the last 6 rounds (16.8) and feeling more confident my swings back so I’m going for a fitting tomorrow as my irons are 8 years old. I’ve also developed a massive hook with my pw and 9 iron and a couple friends also hook it when using it and I’ve read it could be something to do with lie angle. Anyway time will tell, but I don’t hook my other irons which makes it seem strange and the toe of the wedge is in the air.

Associate
Made my first eagle at my home course.

18th hole, stableford round, 260y par4, downhill towards the clubhouse, 3w landed about 2 yards before the front of the green and it rolled out to about 6ft.
Tricky green, as it all slopes right to left, up-hill and it's narrow where the pin is. Managed to hole it, handshakes all around... and I won the little Sunday event on countback after the 4 points on that hole :cry: ! Fun times!

Last edited:
Soldato
@Quinnaay Did you go for that sexy new finish they're offering?

Edit: Looks like it's online exclusive so assume not
They look like a nice matte finish the ones I’ve got coming. Not sure which you’re referring assuming black? but coming from shiny chrome it suits my eye way more.

What I found interesting with the fitting is he said my current clubs 2017 M2s were 85g shafts and too light for me, in the end I’ve got 105g shafts.

Last edited:
Soldato
So yesterday was interesting. After playing 18 walking both Friday and Saturday, and having the pairs knockout today, I was really hoping to use a buggy but because of the rain they didn't let them out on the fairway obviously. I really didn't play well at all, a smattering of good shots but generally poor, then around the 12th I was absolutely cooked, knackered, struggling to concentrate, could barely hit a ball... Did improve towards the end but not a good way to head into the match today.

Got 10.5 hours sleep last night though, that was nice :p

So this lunchtime we start out match and really neither myself or my partner brought their A game, whilst on the other hand our opponents played very well, we got a rep during the winter greensomes for being bandits but felt today that we got out-bandited :cry: We were against a 35 handicap making gross pars, but did duff more than a few, and a 25 handicap who struck the ball waaaaay better than me and I've been around 26-27 recently. Just saying :p

Still, good game really, competitive whilst still being fun. Onto the singles match on Thursday. I do have a tee-time booked for 9 holes tomorrow morning but not sure it's a good idea after so much golf recently...

They look like a nice matte finish the ones I’ve got coming. Not sure which you’re referring assuming black? but coming from shiny chrome it suits my eye way more.

What I found interesting with the fitting is he said my current clubs 2017 M2s were 85g shafts and too light for me, in the end I’ve got 105g shafts.

They recently announced an orange/copper finish, it's lush.

Soldato
Well, just in from a net session..a bit confused though…

Been trying to do what my lessons have been teaching me, but when I sort of combine my old more “natural” swing , with what I’m being taught, my miss hits are still out there and my average 7 iron when buttoned is going around 145 to 165 :eek:.

I know it’s not all about yardage but around 15-20 more. But, come on wtf is happening!

Last edited:
Associate
Got out after work, joined up with another single on the 1st tee which was nice. Played nicely tee to green but once again my pace putting was dreadful. Nine three puts in the sixteen holes we got in. Forty-five total estimating for the two short par fours we didn't play. Still shot ninety-seven total!

Definitely going to need a lesson. With any measure of consistency I should easily be able to get my handicap down to 20 or below. Didn't lose a ball today either and found the fringe on one of my nemisis par threes over water :)

Associate
@Zeebedy There’s a significant difference in ball speed to get another 20yards of carry. You got a mlm2pro now don’t you? Post the data for the 145 and 165 shot. Will be easy to see why.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Zeebedy There’s a significant difference in ball speed to get another 20yards of carry. You got a mlm2pro now don’t you? Post the data for the 145 and 165 shot. Will be easy to see why.

I’m running a SkyTrak now mate.

Yeah, I can’t believe the difference. I will try and get some data up, but what I think is happening is when I go back as I was taught I’m leaning and only getting my arms through the shot and not using my body.

Will keep an eye on it over the next few days, weather permitting.

Soldato
Yeah, logged into the SkyTrak app, has all shot data. Really cool stuff tbh.

I will practice with my “altered” setup over next few days, get some data then compare to my lesser average yardages.

Soldato
Well.

Picked up a Taylormade Mini Driver to try to get some consistency off the tee - hitting 3 wood all the time is great, but want to move back towards a driver. So the mini driver seemed like a good compromise. Immediately felt better, hitting it longer and straighter. Some practice to be done, as lost a ball and had a couple of mishits, but when I connected well, it's an absolute weapon - one of my drives rolling out to 295 yards with not a huge amount of effort :eek:

Edit: Also, @Maccy beat me in our match :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
Today will be my first round since my HIO which should be interesting, I sort of went to pieces for a couple of holes after it on Saturday as I couldn't feel my arms :D My 7 iron is my 160 yard club and I hit one 190 yards. Maybe a bit of adrenaline going perhaps. It was a very weird round looking back, I start with back to back double bogeys on 2 of the easier holes but overall I scored 42 points (the 5 for 1 helped) but I did get 3 other birdies too. Let's see how the warmer weather treats me today.

Soldato
I ended up doing 9 days of consecutive golf, albeit including the 9 hole rounds, that ended up in 4 days straight of walking 18 which was a lot for me :p So I took yesterday off but back out this morning for an early round again \o/

Overall reasonable, bit mixed but some definite highlights, best being par'ing the first hole for the first time ever. It's a ~520 yard par 5 but there's a tree in the middle of the fairway about 210 out so 'the play' is to hit a ~160 yard shot into a landing area to then line up going over/to the side of the tree for your second. Downside being from the tree there's ~300+ yards left to go, off the deck, it's a long slog, expecially as I really don't hit it far at all :p

First two shots went to plan, not great but ok, then I duffed my 3 wood :( So same club again for my 4th but still short of the green, the usual plan is get to the green in 4 on a good day, so 37 yards from the middle with my 54-degree wedge and hit pretty much xactly the shot I had in mind, didn't ever expect it to actually go in though :cry:

But then mixed, 2 more pars, but some doubles and a triple so meh. Was actually +6 through 6, and bogey golf is kinda my target these days, but had a bad time on the 7th which put pay to a potential PB round, just putting myself in bad places and not having the skill/decision making to get out of them properly. Same on the 9th really, behind/under a tree off the tee shot and then left my punch shot in thick rough, got out as best as I could expect but just not where you want to be on another tricky par 5.

Associate
Had a revelation last night. It turns out swinging out your shoes and try to take the skin off the ball isn't always the way forward...

Always try to play with a smooth swing which always turns back into trying to kill everything. Managed to keep it going for 9 last night and end up shooting my best front 9 on that course and beat my mate in strokeplay for the first time since I started 3 years ago...

Tied going into the last hole and he had the meltdown of all meltdowns to seal it for me :cry:

Had maybe 3 or 4 shots I would like back but it's progress at the end of the day.

Soldato
Had a revelation last night. It turns out swinging out your shoes and try to take the skin off the ball isn't always the way forward...

Always try to play with a smooth swing which always turns back into trying to kill everything. Managed to keep it going for 9 last night and end up shooting my best front 9 on that course and beat my mate in strokeplay for the first time since I started 3 years ago...

Tied going into the last hole and he had the meltdown of all meltdowns to seal it for me :cry:

Had maybe 3 or 4 shots I would like back but it's progress at the end of the day.
I realised this last summer - instead of trying to kill it, smoothly does it. Weirdly enough, started playing a lot better! I made better contact with the ball when I swang slower, so didn't sacrifice any distance - in fact in some instances gained it!

Back
Top Bottom