Good AIO or Air?

Soldato
Just to add, the Aro m14 nearly matches the Noctua for cooling, but is a fair bit quieter. Huge though. It's also design for AM4, but I guess that depends on how long you intend to stay with amd/am4 (hopefully the mount will be the same on am5).

Soldato
OP
I'll be staying with whatever I go with for a number of years. I try and get the most out of a system. I'm currently still on a i5-2500K so well overdue an upgrade.

Soldato
I'm with you. Went for a 2700x on the x370 auros k7, because it's apparently got a very solid vrm that should be able to supply power to more power hungry chips. Just hoping it holds up for a fair while, and lets me potentially drop in a 4000 series chip a long time in the future.

Soldato
OP
Now just to find a case that I like and then make sure my fan choice will fit into it!!
Still unsure which 3xxx chip or motherboard to go for yet though.

Soldato
OP
Associate
Ok so still not bought anything yet and after seeing some dark rock pro 3's in cases, I'm a little put off by the size. Ideally I'm wanting a dark coloured cooler to fit in with the case theme too.

I'm seriously just considering one of these DIY kits though.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alph...water-cooling-kit-complete-kit-wc-08g-ac.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alph...copper-240mm-water-cooling-kit-wc-08f-ac.html

They are about £40 cheaper elsewhere though.

wouldn't bother with those. put on one of the new noctua NH-U12A coolers.

Soldato
Ok so still not bought anything yet and after seeing some dark rock pro 3's in cases, I'm a little put off by the size. Ideally I'm wanting a dark coloured cooler to fit in with the case theme too.

I'm seriously just considering one of these DIY kits though.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alph...water-cooling-kit-complete-kit-wc-08g-ac.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alph...copper-240mm-water-cooling-kit-wc-08f-ac.html

They are about £40 cheaper elsewhere though.
Best way forward is a good air cooled system. They cost less, last longer and are usually quieter. NH-U12A is a good cooler, not quite as good as NH-D15 and juust as expensive £89.99 it's also one of the most expensive out there. Look around for TRUE Spirit 140 Power (be sure it's Power model). It's about half as much and cools as well, and while it's not too deep (53mm w/o fan, 79.5mm w/fan) it is wide (155mm) and extremely tall (171mm), so make sure case you choose has enough CPU clearance. If you have problems finding one, dropm me a trust note.

Soldato
OP
Best way forward is a good air cooled system. They cost less, last longer and are usually quieter. NH-U12A is a good cooler, not quite as good as NH-D15 and juust as expensive £89.99 it's also one of the most expensive out there. Look around for TRUE Spirit 140 Power (be sure it's Power model). It's about half as much and cools as well, and while it's not too deep (53mm w/o fan, 79.5mm w/fan) it is wide (155mm) and extremely tall (171mm), so make sure case you choose has enough CPU clearance. If you have problems finding one, dropm me a trust note.

Thanks Doyll. Points taken. I'll stick with a good air cooler then. Now to pick a case that is deep enough to fit them in.

Soldato
I've ended up buying the b-grade dark rock pro 4 off of here which arrived today. My goodness it is huge!! Pity I don't get told that..

Which is why I'm perfectly happy with my £50 Seidon AIO.

Quiet (some people keep banging on about pump noise, none audible here), keeps my X5650 @ 4.4 below 70C under load, compact and doesn't interfere with RAM.

Sure, there's ,more to go wrong than with air, but I've been running mine for over two and a half years now with no issues.

When/if it goes down, I'll just get another AIO.

Soldato
OP
Which is why I'm perfectly happy with my £50 Seidon AIO.

Quiet (some people keep banging on about pump noise, none audible here), keeps my X5650 @ 4.4 below 70C under load, compact and doesn't interfere with RAM.

Sure, there's ,more to go wrong than with air, but I've been running mine for over two and a half years now with no issues.

When/if it goes down, I'll just get another AIO.

I've never used any type of water cooler systems before. I would try them but as I've always used air, I feel more comfortable using it.

Soldato
I've ended up buying the b-grade dark rock pro 4 off of here which arrived today. My goodness it is huge!! Pity I don't get told that..
Size is in the eyes of the beholder. :D To me it's just a nice size. ;) But yeah, it is pretty good size at 162.8x136x145.7mm (LxWxH) .. but NH-D15 is 161x150x160mm, PH-TC14PE is 159x140x160mm .. and there are many more just as big.

Soldato
OP
Double post. Think there is an issue with the site.

Yeah, That's what I figured with the sizes of the best air coolers and this B-grade one looks new too so must have been an open box item.

Soldato
Size is in the eyes of the beholder. :D To me it's just a nice size. ;) But yeah, it is pretty good size at 162.8x136x145.7mm (LxWxH) .. but NH-D15 is 161x150x160mm, PH-TC14PE is 159x140x160mm .. and there are many more just as big.

Soldato
OP
As long as it fits, does it really matter? Do you spend hours staring into your case? The window in my case is basically against the wall.

I'll probably be using it in my existing case for now so it will stick out the side window a few centimeters. I'm waiting for the Lancool two release before buying a new case.

Back
Top Bottom