Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Im 99.9% sure you cannot use that hard drive as storage

It is best to have dsm on a usb stick and keep it in the inside usb port, the other 4/5 slots can be used for storage

Thought as much :( Synology is installed on the 250GB HD that's why I thought I could leave out the usb stick.

Thanks for the help ;) Think I'm going to get two Toshiba 3TB HDs soon.

Edit just found out Toshiba are a pain to deal with. So it's Seagate :)

Last edited:
Soldato
What are the chances of the cash back offer turning up again in August on the N54L?

My circumstances have changed and I could do with the N54L. Really REALLY wish I had pulled the trigger on a purchase last month while they were around the £80 mark :(

Soldato
Toshiba are fine - if your thinking about the 3tb Toshibas with enclosures, these disks are made by hitachi and will work fine, I have 4 3tb of these in mine, raid 10 (giving 6tb space)

Soldato
Toshiba are fine - if your thinking about the 3tb Toshibas with enclosures, these disks are made by hitachi and will work fine, I have 4 3tb of these in mine, raid 10 (giving 6tb space)

It's just that I read that their RMA for OEM drives was very poor.
Will look in to more thanks for the help.

I have read that HD's will spin down if you take the USB out when booted. Unsure if this is correct or not...

Will try this later. Thank you.

Maybe start a thread for synology on the HP or leave it all here?

Associate
What are the chances of the cash back offer turning up again in August on the N54L?

My circumstances have changed and I could do with the N54L. Really REALLY wish I had pulled the trigger on a purchase last month while they were around the £80 mark :(

Not much hope imo, they can't have so much stock left to clear that they need to discount heavily.

I'm really happy I went for the N40L, cost me £80 net and it just sits there doing its thing, quietly. With the N54L being slightly louder I think I jumped at the right time.

Soldato
Not much hope imo, they can't have so much stock left to clear that they need to discount heavily.

I'm really happy I went for the N40L, cost me £80 net and it just sits there doing its thing, quietly. With the N54L being slightly louder I think I jumped at the right time.

Yeah I figure that's the case :(

I just need to find some good Samaritan willing to sell me their N54L that they don't want/need (subtle hint lol)

Soldato
Maybe start a thread for synology on the HP or leave it all here?

Probs best to start a new thread then we don't clog this one up. It would allow us to share updates, tips, tricks etc etc

well spotted mate, it indeed works :D

Good. Pleased about that, as it was really the only major concern with the release as far as I could see. How did you confirm it works out of interest?

Soldato
Probs best to start a new thread then we don't clog this one up. It would allow us to share updates, tips, tricks etc etc

Good. Pleased about that, as it was really the only major concern with the release as far as I could see. How did you confirm it works out of interest?

When idle for > 10 mins (lowest spindown time), if I try to access the nas from a pc you can hear it spin up / small delay, before it would instantly allow access

Soldato
I'm installing Sever 2012 onto my Microserver with the OS drive in the first slot. I'm planning on moving this OS drive to the DVD bay in the future. Are there any issues doing this after the OS has been installed with the drive in bay one?

Associate
I'm installing Sever 2012 onto my Microserver with the OS drive in the first slot. I'm planning on moving this OS drive to the DVD bay in the future. Are there any issues doing this after the OS has been installed with the drive in bay one?

Only possible issue would be if you installed with AHCI and hadn't done the BIOS hack to enable AHCI on the extra internal SATA port. (Extra SATA port only supports IDE without hacked BIOS).

Changing the boot device in the BIOS is really easy, so you won't have any issues there.

Soldato
Had an issue with Server 2012 and a 3TB drive (GPT).

Moving data from NAS to server the transfer sat at 11MB/Sec as expected then slowed down to 500Kb/Sec. When I tried to cancel the move it froze the server.

Tried the same move to a MBR disk and it worked OK.

My server was built a couple of days ago and is fully windows updated however I've not loaded any HP drivers. Do I need to update drivers or is this just a bug with GPT partitions?

Soldato
Guys what's louder about the N54? The 120mm fan? Mine is annoying me now, never really heard the N40L and I expected the N54L to be the same. If It's just a case of changing the fan then I will, but there is also a small fan, could be that causing the noise.

Soldato
generally it will either be the small PSU fan, the 120mm fan or the HDD's. There is a guide on adding a Scythe 120mm fan to make the whole thing quieter. You could also look at replacing the PSU fan (which will void warranty) or just replacing the PSU with a Pico-PSU

Associate
My N54L wasn't very quiet so I did some quick investigation to find the cause.
I took all the HDDs out and then started the server while preventing the 120mm fan from turning. The PSU fan wasn't too bad, so then I investigated the 120mm fan. Once I let the 120mm fan start then it began producing the annoying hum that I'd been looking for.

I've swapped out the 120mm fan for a BlackSilent Pro and it's got a quieter and much more pleasant sound to it. (I did have to cut the key off the 3-pin connector to fit the 4-pin MoBo connector, but no rewiring required.)

Lastly I need to get some thin material to pack between the HDDs and the caddies to try and dampen their sound.

Associate
The 4-pin connector used by HP has non-standard wiring, so if you use a PWM fan you will need to rewire the pins to match.
If you use a 3-pin fan (constant speed) then the 3 pins match the configuration of the 3 pins nearest the front of the MoBo. You just need to cut one of the lugs off the fan connector so that it will fit onto the MoBo connector without fouling the guide.

Soldato
The 4-pin connector used by HP has non-standard wiring, so if you use a PWM fan you will need to rewire the pins to match.
If you use a 3-pin fan (constant speed) then the 3 pins match the configuration of the 3 pins nearest the front of the MoBo. You just need to cut one of the lugs off the fan connector so that it will fit onto the MoBo connector without fouling the guide.

like this?

Back
Top Bottom