Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I've got some 4-bay star tech caddies in both of mine that connect to an LSI raid card. You can get some 6-bay caddies for 2.5" drives too

I need to get hunting out here for them...

But then I could just try to work out why suddenly my dvd decided to stop reading discs, it's a pioneer 219bl and was only a few months old when it stopped.

Soldato
so, took me ages, but eventually set it up to being usable, still need to tweak it a bit htough and find it a permanent place.

in the meantime? what android app do you use for streaming video and music?

I've always used BSPlayer Free, which seems to be cool with all the video, but has problems with streaming music (mp3s). anything worth trying?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Im using thebay's modded firmware in my microsever.

Should I use the German one instead? Or do that do the same thing ?
Has thebay released an updated firmware? We're talking about the very latest release, which updates the firmware of the onboard NIC so that Windows 2012 R2 / Windows 8.1 don't hang on startup.

(Edited to clarify that it is Windows 2012 R2 / Windows 8.1 that have the problem -- Windows 2012 and 8 are fine. Thanks to oceang for pointing this out).

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I currently have an N40L with 8Gb ram and plenty of storage running Server 2012. i want to put either ESXI or maybe Zenserver on it to use VMs instead.

Got some gift cards for Xmas so what would be the biggest improvment out of either an SSD (for the VM OS) or upgrading to 16GB RAM?

Last edited:
Associate
Only if want to install windows server 2012 or Windows 8.1

Just to clarify this statement.

Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 works fine with previous BIOS, it is just Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 that need this Bios, and only if you have the onboard NIC enabled. If you disable the onboard NIC and use another NIC, then even this BIOS is not required.

Associate
Has thebay released an updated firmware? We're talking about the very latest release, which updates the firmware of the onboard NIC so that Windows 2012/Windows 8 don't hang on startup.

Need to be careful here with terminology.

It is Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 that hang during install / startup if the onboard NIC is enabled. Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 are fine.

Soldato
so, took me ages, but eventually set it up to being usable, still need to tweak it a bit though and find it a permanent place.

in the meantime? what android app do you use for streaming video and music?

I've always used BSPlayer Free, which seems to be cool with all the video, but has problems with streaming music (mp3s). anything worth trying?

Could give Plex a go. It's by far one of the best I've found, though the microserver might not be capable of streaming full 1080 BD rips smoothly. I know the N40L can't but the I've not tried the N54L yet. The faster CPU might just be able to cope

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Need to be careful here with terminology.

It is Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 that hang during install / startup if the onboard NIC is enabled. Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 are fine.
Cheers, I've edited my post to correct.

Caporegime
I want to buy a N54L with 4x4TB drives and want to backup all my 4 drives in the N36L, whats the best way of doing this? running WHS2011

I have done exactly this but with 2 x HP N54l's one running Server 2012 R2 and the other windows 8.1 pro.

I have installed stablebit drivepool on the server R2 machine.

And stablebit Drivepool on the 8.1 machine

I installed Robomirror ( so simple) on the 8.1 machine and created schedule tasks to mirror my shares on the pool on the server to exactly the same on the 8.1 machine. So I have real time duplication on the pool if a drive fails on the personal stuff aswell as a backup..

I then hid the drives on the 8.1 machine using a GPO in server 2012 to standard users so they cannot see the drives in the 8.1 machine.

Oh and crashplan backs up the server shares (important ones to the cloud)

Associate
I have done exactly this but with 2 x HP N54l's one running Server 2012 R2 and the other windows 8.1 pro.

I have installed stablebit drivepool on the server R2 machine.

And stablebit Drivepool on the 8.1 machine

I installed Robomirror ( so simple) on the 8.1 machine and created schedule tasks to mirror my shares on the pool on the server to exactly the same on the 8.1 machine. So I have real time duplication on the pool if a drive fails on the personal stuff aswell as a backup..

I then hid the drives on the 8.1 machine using a GPO in server 2012 to standard users so they cannot see the drives in the 8.1 machine.

Oh and crashplan backs up the server shares (important ones to the cloud)

Cheers buddy, will have to make a note of this :)

Back
Top Bottom