Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
You don't mention how much the heatpipe heatsink costs... =)

Was a smidge over £100inc VAT..
Rare as **** and not many people seem to be aware of its existence.
Its from the newer SKU's, HP released a BIOS update that allows more CPU's to be fitted, some of those are above the stock 35w so they dropped the new heatpipe heatsink for those with higher TDP...

Soldato
I have this but it's still dual core just with HT. I can't say I've noticed a massive improvement but I only use mine for Plex and some folding. Doesn't go above 70C on full load.

I didn't actually try the Celeron when I got my Gen8, I swapped the i5 in straight away :p

But like yourself I just use it for Plex + torrents.

You don't mention how much the heatpipe heatsink costs... =)

Got it on eBay last year for about £50 :)

Soldato
Was a smidge over £100inc VAT..
Rare as **** and not many people seem to be aware of its existence.
Its from the newer SKU's, HP released a BIOS update that allows more CPU's to be fitted, some of those are above the stock 35w so they dropped the new heatpipe heatsink for those with higher TDP...

Or even if you knew about it, your supplier or HPE themselves denied any knowledge even with the part number...

Soldato
Or even if you knew about it, your supplier or HPE themselves denied any knowledge even with the part number...

Yeah, I had the original HP number as well as the SP one as well, ended up with it January time I think it was, then ended up retiring the Gen8 due to its 16Gb RAM limit and the fact that HP seemed to have forgotten about the Microserver users so we didnt get a Gen9...

Still, rumours have started, as well as some images, of a Gen10 Microserver so we'll see if that appears or not...

Soldato
Specs is the important thing, I'm wanting 32Gb RAM at least, socketed CPU's, iLO, GBe, better onboard raid and more drive capability.
Be nice if they did a swappable drive chassis for it so you can have 4x3.5 drives or more 2.5" drives, can't see that happening in the target audience though..

Soldato
Specs is the important thing, I'm wanting 32Gb RAM at least, socketed CPU's, iLO, GBe, better onboard raid and more drive capability.
Be nice if they did a swappable drive chassis for it so you can have 4x3.5 drives or more 2.5" drives, can't see that happening in the target audience though..

I'd be surprised if 32Gb RAM wasn't an option, iLO (5/6 forget which version we're upto) should be present. Pretty sure my old N54 has a 1GbE NIC - so that'll still be there. Can't imagine it'll have support for SFF drives.

Soldato

Wouldn't be much of a microserver then - 32GB probably, socketed CPU (singular) yes as it already is, iLO yes as it already is, Gbe yes as it already is, better onboard RAID - whatever the entry level for Gen10 will have, probably still 3.5" and probably still 4 drives.

That's my guess - just a small progression nothing too much. Hoping I'm wrong though.

Soldato
Ok, 32Gb thats acceptable, 64Gb would have been nice, and given you can get 32Gb sticks wouldnt have been impossible, depending on what chipset they got for that is..

The AMD rumour is an interesting one though, Naples could mean one hell of a powerful box depending on what chipset or power limitations are inside the box itself..

Soldato
Has anyone had much luck with a PCI network card in the Gen8?

I'm using some TP Link powerline adapters at the momen't but I'm only getting 9~ MB/s speeds across my lan. The server is only about 10ft away from my router so I image a decent AC card would get better speeds.

Soldato
Has anyone had much luck with a PCI network card in the Gen8?

I'm using some TP Link powerline adapters at the momen't but I'm only getting 9~ MB/s speeds across my lan. The server is only about 10ft away from my router so I image a decent AC card would get better speeds.

Powerline (unless it's gigabit kit) is usually equipped with 10/100 ports, even the 500-600Mbit kits. 100mbit less overheads isn't going to give you much more than 12MB/s. Personally I'd go with a cable if at all possible, if not then gigabit powerline, wifi would be my last resort.

Back
Top Bottom