Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
While I'm on an upgrade binge, is the Gen 8 Microserver still limited to 16 GB RAM? Are there 16 GB+ memory modules that work for 32 or 64 GB? Or is it hardware-limited to 16 GB?

Soldato
Source?

I'd be amazed if they do have one.

Even if they are an affiliated partner, they wouldn't get their hands on one before it was unveiled at Discover.

Soldato
Technically the Gen10 is the fastest Microserver available, given that the fastest option you can buy the Gen8 with is the E3-1220 which passmarks ~3650, the X3421 passmarks at ~5100.
However, you can, given the Gen8 has a socket, remove the CPU and stick the E3-1265 in there which given it has 4C/8T will kill that ~5100...
No iLo is a step back, for some, but given that the iLo meant crippling the graphics capability of the machine to the iLo's Matrox G200, the 8 GPU cores of the X3421 runs rings around that, one of the guys on HSS is running some ESXi testing so we'll see how well that passes through to the VM's at somepoint over the next few days.
Theres also 2 PCI-e slots which will give a bit more upgradability.
6x SATA3 (might end up being 5, the Gen10 the guys have are the Beta and some of the documentation doesnt show the 6th port so thats still up in the air)
No drive caddy, screws into the side of the HDD and then slide into the chassis, improvement IMHO.
1xVGA 2xDP, could make this a pretty neat HTPC unit, or surveilance base..

So far the only thing thats actually a down for me is the soldered CPU, given the top unit you can buy is X3421 and only has 4 cores, theres a lot more power to be had from a Gen8 given a few £000 thrown at a CPU and some cooling.

Soldato
Yeah, mainly due to you being able to buy the base unit on the cheap, then upgrade it as needed.
Just have to see how long you can get the Gen8 new for, second hand market might pick up again once they're no longer available new..

Soldato
For my use (ESXi box at home) the lack of iLO doesn't bother me at all, I never use it. That said, it's an odd decision by HPE. In any business or enterprise usage an iLo is an absolute must. I wouldn't consider a box without one even if it were dome something as mundane as running the welcome screen at reception.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Technically the Gen10 is the fastest Microserver available, given that the fastest option you can buy the Gen8 with is the E3-1220 which passmarks ~3650, the X3421 passmarks at ~5100.
However, you can, given the Gen8 has a socket, remove the CPU and stick the E3-1265 in there which given it has 4C/8T will kill that ~5100...
No iLo is a step back, for some, but given that the iLo meant crippling the graphics capability of the machine to the iLo's Matrox G200, the 8 GPU cores of the X3421 runs rings around that, one of the guys on HSS is running some ESXi testing so we'll see how well that passes through to the VM's at somepoint over the next few days.
Theres also 2 PCI-e slots which will give a bit more upgradability.
6x SATA3 (might end up being 5, the Gen10 the guys have are the Beta and some of the documentation doesnt show the 6th port so thats still up in the air)
No drive caddy, screws into the side of the HDD and then slide into the chassis, improvement IMHO.
1xVGA 2xDP, could make this a pretty neat HTPC unit, or surveilance base..

So far the only thing thats actually a down for me is the soldered CPU, given the top unit you can buy is X3421 and only has 4 cores, theres a lot more power to be had from a Gen8 given a few £000 thrown at a CPU and some cooling.
Excellent summary.

Here's what I don't get: who are these people that need 2 Display Port connectors and 16 GPU cores in their small business server?! Not me, that's for sure! It's nice that it's more powerful, but we haven't seen the prices yet, and putting 32GB in this machine still costs upwards of £300, so the extra memory capacity is nice, but not a lot of people will afford it.

Apparently it's quieter than the Gen8, and that's already plenty quiet enough for me, so that's something that's very nice to know. Maybe a cluster of three Gen10 with 32GB?

Associate
Thanks guys i shall be running it through xpenology so hoping it is just plug and play.

I am not too great with linux and trying to get drivers working with it could end up being a nightmare.Shall take a punt on one of the cheaper ones and see how it goes.

Soldato
I've noticed the Gen8 is on cash back deal again, making it around £125.

Am I right in thinking this will be better than any NAS in that price range?

Secondly, is the iLo port a standard feature, or an added option?

Back
Top Bottom