Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I have managed to get the SSD to boot from the ODD port and windows server is running fine, I just need to add my disks from the old box.

From my memory, if you are in ACHI mode, when you put a HDD in disc O (1st of 4 HDD slots), the server will try to boot from that?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

In AHCI mode you can boot off the 5th port fine, but your fan speed will be higher (hence the server will be a bit louder). To get the quietest fan speed (6%) you have to use RAID mode (where you have to configure each drive as an individual RAID 0 array), but you can't boot off the 5th port (you can use it fine, just not boot off it).

Soldato
In AHCI mode you can boot off the 5th port fine, but your fan speed will be higher (hence the server will be a bit louder). To get the quietest fan speed (6%) you have to use RAID mode (where you have to configure each drive as an individual RAID 0 array), but you can't boot off the 5th port (you can use it fine, just not boot off it).

This isn't an issue now since there has been a BIOS update that fixes it.

Soldato
I haven't ever updated my gen 8 BIOS since about 2014. Can I still download this from HP? I thought you needed an ongoing contract after 12 months.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks - but I have a working Microserver - do I have the courage to update the BIOS and SPP - I did as part of setting it up but now it's been working for several years I am nervous!

GDL

GDL

Associate
Understandably Mel, but its not as it once was. I think the MicroServer has the redundant ROM so flick over to the backup and update that first.

Soldato
I'm still sticking with my N54L as I only really use it as a basic fileserver so it's perfectly okay for that... however I've noticed lately the PSU fan has started to rattle quite badly so I might need to open it up soon and replace it (it's not the original fan anyway, I did the mod to replace the stock fan and the PSU fan with a molex-powered one)... Actually can anyone remember the size of the PSU fan I might order one from Amazon today from work (I think it was 40mm but might have been 60)

I've been meaning for ages to switch over from UnRAID to something else on it as well (maybe XPENology or FreeNAS) as I find UnRAID a bit cumbersome and inflexible

Soldato
Other than putting a few TB hard drives in my Gen 8 I've made do with the original Celeron CPU and RAM. However it's started to struggle on my latest 1080p streams so think I need to upgrade it. Am I right in thinking I can upgrade the CPU to a Intel Core i3-3240?

Associate
Am I right in thinking I can upgrade the CPU to a Intel Core i3-3240?

If you can try find a 3240T. Its the same CPU but ECC support and 35W instead of 55w.

I had one in a gen8 and it was a cracking little chip.

EDIT: In fact there is one on the auction site for £25 if you hurry.
EDIT 2: There are a couple of 3470Ts going as well! Faster then a 3240 & full V-D support.

Last edited:
Soldato
the 3470T is an i5. you need to update the bios to the newer revision of the 06 bios. I had one in mine and it's a cracking chip that's nice and cool. £40 on the auction site atm.

faster core clock. hyper threading. low power draw. vtd. etc and 1600mhz ram support.

why would you not?

Just bought one, now for some RAM whilst I'm at it!

Back
Top Bottom