Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Okay folks, a quick check, please.

I have a Windows Server 2016 disk waiting to be installed. I have 4x 6 TB drives in 2x RAID 1 arrays. I have a SSD plugged into the optical port. The SSD is currently unused. Can I install Server 2016 onto the SSD and keep the RAID arrays? Or do I need a RAID card?

maj

maj

Soldato
I used the stand-alone iLo interface to install the firmware, and just used the iso to make a bootable usb to install it all. It installed all the required drivers.

Is iLo interface when you press F9 during post? I have an iLo port but nothing plugged into it.

Soldato
iLO is for remote management. You can connect to the server via a web interface using .net or Java and control the whole thing**, even from full off, but you do obviously need a network cable in the ILO port :)

** You need an iLO licence if you want to control it remotely after it POSTs.

Soldato
I used iLO and it worked a treat. The SPP was through Windows and that worked fine as well.

All upgraded, thanks for your help everyone!

gen8.jpg

GDL

GDL

Associate
Just got my 3 Gen7's back from a mate at work. One of each type. 36,40,54 IIRC.

Anyway to merge all the storage into one big pot across all three physical servers? -

I tried FreeNAS but meh, it still can't do SMB share authentication correctly.

Soldato
Just got my 3 Gen7's back from a mate at work. One of each type. 36,40,54 IIRC.

Anyway to merge all the storage into one big pot across all three physical servers? -

I tried FreeNAS but meh, it still can't do SMB share authentication correctly.
Might be worth trying NAS4Free rather than FreeNAS. It's a fully developed and maintained version of what FreeNAS was before it went commercial.

Soldato
Has anyone installed WSE 2016 on their Gen 8? I finally got around to installing it a week or so ago and Intelligent Provisioning didn't have any of the variants of Server 2016 listed. I used the Server 2012 settings and it worked fine.

Associate
Has anyone installed WSE 2016 on their Gen 8? I finally got around to installing it a week or so ago and Intelligent Provisioning didn't have any of the variants of Server 2016 listed. I used the Server 2012 settings and it worked fine.

I've had Windows Server 2016 Std installed since just after release on my Gen 8, installed via Intelligent Provisioning and the 2012 settings as you've found. It's been very stable, just as Server 2012 R2 was before it.

Soldato
Can i use a `standard` psu to power the Gen 8? or is it a `proprietorial` socket and plug
Just thinking atm that i could do with moving the mobo to a different case to get more drives connected with an expansion card

Running Xpenology and am getting near to full.Got 4x8tb in the one gen8 and 5x6 tb in the other
Thinking this as i think it would be the `easiest` way to increase capacity?

Back
Top Bottom