Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
There are several connectors that I don't think are standard and, of course, the I/O shield is part of the tray so you'll have a gap around the connectors in the new case.

I agree with Quartz - get a controller with an external mini-SAS connector and a SAS enclosure.

maj

maj

Soldato
I'm still having trouble getting Hyper-V installed on Server 2012. I've tried two different ways to get it installed. I've tried adding it as a feature using server manager and then I tried installing it using powershell but upon doing a restart it still wasn't installed. If I try to install using server manager, it says to check event log but I can't see any entries relating to hyper-v for me to troubleshoot with.

Any ideas?

I've noticed that on POST it says my cpu has 2 cores but no hyperthreading despite it being enabled in bios and it being confirmed that the G1610T does support it.

I also struggled to get the SPP installed that was posted a few pages back. Even when I made it into a bootable usb my server wouldn't boot it to. I then noticed a cmd file that could be run to install everything. Not sure what it was doing but it opened a 'Smart Update Manager' (localhost page) and did a few things.

I've setup servers up at work before but never known anything as complicated as getting one of these up and running.

Soldato
The Silverstone SST-TS431S-V2 looks like a reasonable choice. I can't see why it would need a re-install of Xpenology as you're only adding disks unless it would be needed for a new disk controller.

maj

maj

Soldato
G1610T doesnt support Hyperthreading.

https://ark.intel.com/products/71074/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1610T-2M-Cache-2_30-GHz

SPP you can run from within Windows.

But without hyper threading should I still be able to host virtual servers or not?

Got about 30+ of these running Hyper-V Core 2008 R2 on G1610T boxes, not blindingly fast but they do what's needed of them.

So unless its because I'm using Server 2012 I don't know why it doesn't work for me.

When you say run SSP from Windows, do you mean just double clicking the bat file? I did that and it installed some files using some localhost page that opened.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a few friends running G1610T's with Plex VM's running on them..

I always ran SPP from within Windows, right click on the bat file, run it as administrator, it fires up a cmd box, then a web browser...

Soldato
The Silverstone SST-TS431S-V2 looks like a reasonable choice. I can't see why it would need a re-install of Xpenology as you're only adding disks unless it would be needed for a new disk controller.
Bit pricey i think
Was thinking /hoping that a new case and a megaraid card(got one in the cupboard) and i would be all set
Thanks for the link/suggestion though :)

Soldato
Currently having a few issues with my WHS2011 install so considering a complete rebuild, if do go down this path what is the current recommended Windows O/S for running on a Microserver for home server purposes? Thanks.

Soldato
Yeah I was on 2012r2 with the Hyper-V role installed, then 2016 with the same...
There are free options for Hyper-V and VMWare depending on your personal required useage...

Soldato
I cant answer that for you, for me yes, 2016 runs the server and storage side of things, then I have VM's for UTM, Downloadings, Plex, DCHub so the box itself is doing the job of more than one machine..
Server itself also runs Stablebits Drivepool and Scanner to pool and keep an eye on drives..

For you, pass, what spec box do you have and what are you wanting to use it for?

maj

maj

Soldato
I've managed to get Hyper-V installed eventually after reinstalling the OS. However I think I know why I couldn't get it working which may of saved me the time and effort to reinstall. When I set the server up the first time, I didn't have hyperv installed and I followed this guide to boot from ssd via sd card but there was a command at the bottom to do with setting a hyperv service to auto start. I now have the service auto starting, booting from sdd, and hyper v installed and working.

Now my next project is deciding what raid to have (if I just use Windows I can use 5) and then set up some virtual servers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why RAID?
You'll lose disk space as well as it not really being backup if thats your train of thought.

Look at Stablebits stuff, drivepool will allow you to pool together any sort of disk, from there you can set duplication of specific folders over multiple disks, plus it doesnt mess with the FS like RAID does, you can simply take a drive out of the pool and put it into another machine and theres your stuff, doesnt split files so no worries about half a file being on one drive and the rest on another, then if you get Scanner as well it'll watch the disks, when/if a disk fails it'll pick the fault up and Drivepool can evacuate the data from the damaged disk on to other drives in the pool...

Back
Top Bottom