Good MB & RAM for 7800X3D?

Last check before installing the thermalright frost commander 140:

BTW, which thermal paste would you suggest? The cooler got a big syringe of its own but I also bought 2g of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme
I use noctua nt h2 paste... its decent and noctua says should last lifetime of cpu or repaste every 5 years.also have some arctic mx6 too.. same reason..long lasting
Der8auer recommends replacing kryonought every year due to pump out effect, though when talking he was specifically mentioning gpu's at time, but seeing as modern cpu seem to run hot, pump out effect will apply to cpus also thought time frame may be longer..
My thoughts, and not wanting to have to repaste every year or so, reason I went with noctua

Last edited:
Almost done, I'm struggling with the central fan of the cooler, the clips just won't stay fastened...
I have used that cooler before getting the Freezer III and had trouble with the front fan, took ages to get it just right.

Can't remember off hand if the clips are the same size, but wonder if they are different, we may have had them on the wrong fans.

Or they may just be cheap and nasty clips, it is a cheap cooler after all.

well, if you want to change cooler, I'd suggest the arctic a36 argb freezer...comes with 2 fans, front and back that click into the fan stack..unfortunatelkly looks like the black one isn't on launch offer price any more, which was £22, and now back up to £47. all white one is still £23 though....can only get it one place, easy to find. I was going to get the black one myself though my wife started asking why I needed another cooler for my pc when i had one....she tsakes all the fun out of a hobby sometimes

Do you mean the psu switch? I turned it on of course. I suspect I'm not connecting properly the chassis panel to the motherboard but I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Do you mean the psu switch? I turned it on of course. I suspect I'm not connecting properly the chassis panel to the motherboard but I don't know what I'm doing wrong
Make sure you have the orientation of the front panel in the motherboard correct (super easy to get it upside down or whatever). You could try the reset switch too, for if you got them the wrong way around.

It might just be the camera angle but the first four pins on the ATX 24 pin look like there's a small gap between them and the motherboard.

Make sure you have the orientation of the front panel in the motherboard correct (super easy to get it upside down or whatever). You could try the reset switch too, for if you got them the wrong way around.

It might just be the camera angle but the first four pins on the ATX 24 pin look like there's a small gap between them and the motherboard.
Thank you, I will check next weekend.
I'm also not sure if power and reset should be on top of each other or next to each other, not 100% clear on MB.

Also, does MB need BOTH 24pin ATX and 2x16pin ones?

Also, does MB need BOTH 24pin ATX and 2x16pin ones?
2x16? Eh? Do you mean the 8-pin EPS 12v? If so then yes, you do need both.

I'm also not sure if power and reset should be on top of each other or next to each other, not 100% clear on MB.
Hmm. From the angle that you took the picture, the two pins are UP/DOWN, because if you follow the pins in the manual there's a line from the label that stops, if that makes sense. If I'm right, then I think you have them wrong, though I'm not sure if this would actually stop the PC booting because ground is uhm, ground.

I will try reseating the 24pin later and see if it changes.
I wouldn't reseat the connector, I'd just push those first 4 pins (at the top of the board) down a bit to make sure they're flush. It might just be a visual thing, but it looks like there's a small gap.

So they're mounted horizontally and not vertically?
I can't answer that because the manual is the opposite orientation to your picture (i.e. in your picture they're vertical, in the manual they're horizontal), try to follow the lines from the label like I described.

Page 32, it's not really clear to me... I will try reseating the 24pin later and see if it changes. I seriously thought assembling a PC got easier, this is pretty much as it was 20 years ago minus a few pins...
frm diagram it's only the left 4 pins you need. just looking at some old photo's but my 5000x case, using a b550e-e board and my b650e-e board is using lian li case where are the plugs are integrated into 1 plug..but from look same layout of actual set is the same, but on b650e-e they all start on left

so from my photo top row from left is power led+, power led- then the next 2 is the power SW which is a dual plug...directly below the power sw is the reset SW...so bottom row number 3 and 4 going from the left which is a dual plug also...I put that in before the power sw, as found it too hard the see the reset pins after plugging in top row..the bottom left 2 pins were for hdd led, and i didn't have any as using nvme, so that's all i plugged in

ipHswehl.jpg

so bottom after they're plugged in, but above is showing the reset sw, which sits directly below the power sw plug

pNFXR2ql.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom