Good Omens: Neil Gaiman to adapt Terry Pratchett collaboration for TV

Soldato
I watched the first one last night, massive fan of both Pratchett and gaiman but the humour felt a little forced at times, overall though I enjoyed it.

I read the book multiple times years ago - there are differences. (trying not to spoil it)

Man of Honour
Sheen and Tennant do a great job of Aziraphale and Crowley.

I kind of lost interest around middle of episode 5 and still not watched 6 yet - I think a lot of it is due to the best part of the series being the Sheen/Tennant pairing and as they bring in more of the other stuff to bring it to a conclusion it just isn't as interesting.

Soldato
Just finished it.

There were things I loved, things I liked, and things that could have been better. But overall I found it excellent. The casting was spot on for the main cast. Aziraphale, Crowley, Gabriel, Adam, Pulsifer, Shadwell, Jezibell, and Anathema were great picks. Biggest grumble was the demons really. The aesthetic just felt off.

Swapping Pestilence for Pollution was an odd choice too. Even more so given the bit in the airbase where they say something along the lines of "First there's War. Then comes Famine. Then Pollution takes over". Surely pollution would subside after war and famine, rather than increase? Disease, on the other hand, would rise. It's like they wrote the scene with Pestilence, then swapped him out for Pollution afterward...

They certainly did the book justice. And the British humour was preserved, which is welcome. Hopefully the upcoming Discworld stuff is as good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finished it.
Swapping Pestilence for Pollution was an odd choice too. Even more so given the bit in the airbase where they say something along the lines of "First there's War. Then comes Famine. Then Pollution takes over". Surely pollution would subside after war and famine, rather than increase? Disease, on the other hand, would rise. It's like they wrote the scene with Pestilence, then swapped him out for Pollution afterward...

I'm pretty sure that's how it is in the book with the swap, pretty much word for word.
Will need to read it again now.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure that's how it is in the book with the swap, pretty much word for word.
Will need to read it again now.

You're right. I thought it was a change for the TV shoe, but I've just checked my copy of the book. I think I'll have to read it again as I've obviously forgotten more than I thought.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
hopefully if they ever adapt any of the City Watch books it will be as good as this has been...they did a good job with the casting and the tone of the series

now, who would be the best Sam Vimes??! Tim Roth for me...angry, miserable and nasty when he needs to be

Soldato
Watched it over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

My wifes a big fan of the Neil Gaiman books but i've not read either. We watched American Gods together but i struggled and gave up and left her to it. This though was superb all the way through for me.

Soldato
Will check this out when I finish watching other stuff I'm part way through. I've read the first, probably, 15 or so Discworld books, but have read no Neil Gaiman.

Does it feel quite Pratchett?

Commissario
It feels like a Pratchett story but not quite the same as the Discworld, in the same way some of his other works have a slightly different feel (Strata, Only you can save mankind, carpet people etc).

Soldato
Watched it over the last few days, I thought it was ok, probably a 7/10 but I've not read any of the books nor do I have any previous knowledge on the series etc.

Soldato
Well I've watched the first 3 episodes and really quite enjoyed it. The regular exposition is very much in the Pratchett style, it's not quite the norm for a TV show and shows the novel background. For me it's not immersion breaking but I can understand why some critics dislike it. Sheen and Tenant are brilliant the show revolves around their very well written and acted relationship. Sheen in particular is very good as the effete angel. Really looking forward to the concluding 3 episodes.

Soldato
Went in not knowing anything about this, thought it'd be similar to Lucifer but completely different and the Terry Pratchett vibe is there from the start. 6 episodes felt short compared to the other shows on Amazon.

Caporegime
Never read a Pratchett book in my life, started watching episode 1 last night but me and my wife found it a struggle.

If I didn't find anything in episode 1 funny, should I persevere?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Crowley just lacks a little something dunno what, just something. I think DT is the wrong actor for it maybe.

Its very good though 8/10

Back
Top Bottom