Good Omens: Neil Gaiman to adapt Terry Pratchett collaboration for TV

Man of Honour
Jack Whitehall, despite having been in a few roles he isnt really an actor imo, he's more a stand up comedian.

Yeah more familiar with him from appearances on shows like Mock the Week. I think he did OK with what he had to work with but wasn't really the role for him.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Didn't really enjoy this show, maybe due to 100 seasons of supernatural which feels like it covered everything and anything else due in the next century :)

Caporegime
Oh man, how can a show start so well and end so badly? :(

Episodes 1 and 2 were brilliant and a sheer joy to watch. The performances from Sheen and Tennant were outstanding, world-class, and the interaction relationship between them was genuinely amusing and touching. I also loved the build-up with the nunnery and the baby swapping, it was so well written, well directed and so very, very British.

Then all of a sudden the children came on the scene, and the show took a massive dive in quality and writing quality (the show writing quality, not the book it is based on). I understand it is based on the book which is pre-defined but I assume there was some room for interpretation and it was clear that the director lost it somewhere along the line, turning a dark and adult atmosphere into a cheesy kids show with the occasional swearie. All of a sudden the sharp, intelligent and atmosperically religious vibe took a downturn, the acting became cheesier, the portrayal of hell and the Demons was imo awfully done, and the special effects were ropey and cheap-looking. It's like the budget and energy was used in the first two episodes.

Highly disappointing for the potential it had.

Episodes 1-2 - 9/10
Episodes 3-5 - 6/10.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting. I found the first episode to be a little messy, but things picked up from there. Top series and worthy of the book.

Soldato
Oh man, how can a show start so well and end so badly? :(

Episodes 1 and 2 were brilliant and a sheer joy to watch. The performances from Sheen and Tennant were outstanding, world-class, and the interaction relationship between them was genuinely amusing and touching. I also loved the build-up with the nunnery and the baby swapping, it was so well written, well directed and so very, very British.

Then all of a sudden the children came on the scene, and the show took a massive dive in quality and writing quality (the show writing quality, not the book it is based on). I understand it is based on the book which is pre-defined but I assume there was some room for interpretation and it was clear that the director lost it somewhere along the line, turning a dark and adult atmosphere into a cheesy kids show with the occasional swearie. All of a sudden the sharp, intelligent and atmosperically religious vibe took a downturn, the acting became cheesier, the portrayal of hell and the Demons was imo awfully done, and the special effects were ropey and cheap-looking. It's like the budget and energy was used in the first two episodes.

Highly disappointing for the potential it had.

Episodes 1-2 - 9/10
Episodes 3-5 - 6/10.

yeah i agree with all of that.
watched it all in one go on sunday and started great and just got worse as it progressed.

Soldato
This will be on my car playlist ... bbc usually nail radio shows

GOOD OMENS
Credits
Role Contributor
Actor Peter Serafinowicz
Actor Mark Heap
Writer Neil Gaiman
Writer Terry Pratchett
Adaptor Dirk Maggs

Soldato
Jack Whitehall, despite having been in a few roles he isnt really an actor imo, he's more a stand up comedian.

He was at his best in Fresh Meat, hardly surprising as he's basically playing an exaggerated version of himself plus the stereotypical public schoolboy. It was also created by Jessie Armstrong and Sam Bain who need no introduction and it had a great all-around cast.

Back
Top Bottom