Good Omens: Neil Gaiman to adapt Terry Pratchett collaboration for TV

Soldato
A few, but 5 posts above mine was the most recent one I saw.

I'm not sure why it's such an issue for some.

Personally, I wouldn't consider myself to be a homophobe, I know your comment wasn't directed at me, but apparently, I have an agenda here according to, erm, one person at least lol..

My issue is with the virtue signalling, pushing 'TheMessageTM' into storylines where it doesn't do anything for the story, its just there because 'Tick Boxes'.
I understand that certain groups are discriminated against, and representation is part of bringing things out for discussion, but I disagree with how things are being pushed on people by those who, generally, aren't even those affected by the issues and people are saying and doing 'things' so they're seen to be doing something, because it's the trendy thing to do, thats the bit I have issue with..

Commissario
Personally, I wouldn't consider myself to be a homophobe, I know your comment wasn't directed at me, but apparently, I have an agenda here according to, erm, one person at least lol..

My issue is with the virtue signalling, pushing 'TheMessageTM' into storylines where it doesn't do anything for the story, its just there because 'Tick Boxes'.
I understand that certain groups are discriminated against, and representation is part of bringing things out for discussion, but I disagree with how things are being pushed on people by those who, generally, aren't even those affected by the issues and people are saying and doing 'things' so they're seen to be doing something, because it's the trendy thing to do, thats the bit I have issue with..
See, that's a mature and sensible comment. Instead of 'omg I'm not watching this because of teh geyz'.

Soldato

Yeah we've explained our positions on the woke ideology ruining modern entertainment so many times, in depth, with nuance, but as usual people are just branded 'ists and 'phobes because we're not happy to just consume product, move onto next product without thinking and seal clapping a bit of fan service when its thrown to us.

I mean it's not even as if the purveyors of woke ideology haven't gone out of their way to tell us exactly what they're doing...

But hey...if you haven't got a counter-argument to defend bad TV, fling insults around, which is a tactic taken straight from the studio activists themsleves who call fans "problematic" and blame them when the show fails.

This is just Standard Operating Procedure for woke entertainment which has been long established.

Soldato
See, that's a mature and sensible comment. Instead of 'omg I'm not watching this because of teh geyz'.

I don't mind 'teh geyz', I'm not, and comfortable enough with myself to not be threatened by them, I don't mind 'diverse' characters, but when characters are in shows simply because you can't have a show with all straight people, or whichever group, in it these days, that's where I see a problem.

I'm not sure where actual cultural statistics fall when it comes to religion, race, gender and preference, but I get the feeling there is an unrealistic over-representation in some places, simply to fill those tickboxes that's what I have issue with, shows that go down that route tend to suck, they'd be better off just funding some huge advertising campaign rather than making crappy TV shows that could, ruin actors/actresses careers...

Soldato
Yeah we've explained our positions on the woke ideology ruining modern entertainment so many times, in depth, with nuance, but as usual people are just branded 'ists and 'phobes because we're not happy to just consume product, move onto next product without thinking and seal clapping a bit of fan service when its thrown to us.

I mean it's not even as if the purveyors of woke ideology haven't gone out of their way to tell us exactly what they're doing...

But hey...if you haven't got a counter-argument to defend bad TV, fling insults around, which is a tactic taken straight from the studio activists themsleves who call fans "problematic" and blame them when the show fails.

This is just Standard Operating Procedure for woke entertainment which has been long established.

Depends on what you mean by the word woke, its become one of those words that people throw around without understanding it..

As an example, people say that Trek (TOS) has always been 'woke'..
I disagree, because, IMHO, Trek was always bringing real world problems into the show in one way or another, but not in the way some shows do now where its all about the message, the storyline and character arc was still there and consistent, these days I feel, again IMHO, that we've swung too far into 'we must have people of every race, gender, sexual preference' in the show at all costs because we absolutely must, AT ALL COSTS DAMN IT, and the story line or character building is thrown to the background, that's woke, a show that has diversity, but is still a good solid story where things still fit, isn't woke..

Soldato
Depends on what you mean by the word woke, its become one of those words that people throw around without understanding it..

As an example, people say that Trek (TOS) has always been 'woke'..
I disagree, because, IMHO, Trek was always bringing real world problems into the show in one way or another, but not in the way some shows do now where its all about the message, the storyline and character arc was still there and consistent, these days I feel, again IMHO, that we've swung too far into 'we must have people of every race, gender, sexual preference' in the show at all costs because we absolutely must, AT ALL COSTS DAMN IT, and the story line or character building is thrown to the background, that's woke, a show that has diversity, but is still a good solid story where things still fit, isn't woke..

I think we know all know what woke means in this context it is simple shorthand for forced indentity politics and and tick-boxing in modern entertainment ie "The Message". ST dealt with issues in an ADULT and sympathetic way, a thoughtful show skillfully written, ther antithesis of the modern hack activist writing.

People who claim ST was woke, couldn't be more wrong and don't understand the source matertial of yesterday or today.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we know all know what woke means in this context it is simple shorthand for forced indentity politics and and tick-boxing in modern entertainment ie "The Message". ST dealt with issues in an ADULT and sympathetic way, a thoughtful show skillfully written, ther antithesis of the modern hack activist writing.

People who claim ST was woke, couldn't be more wrong and don't understand the source matertial of yesterday or today.

Agreed, at least we're on the same page from that POV.

Caporegime
I am a liberal guy and I do not care what sexuality anyone has (within the realms of legality) and I am happy to see these things portrayed in the media as a normal part of life, which they are. However, I assume what people are annoyed by is the noticeable shoehorning of LGBT topics into some shows in a way that is clearly very forced and agenda-driven to the point that it induces the cringe reflex. I enjoyed Sens8 but the second season was a prime example of that.

you have to like people being Gay even if they are ****** **** bags.
What are you trying to say here?

Last edited:
Don
If you're going to call people out and call people names, then at least have the decency and courage to do it directly.
Ok - you're like a boring tired record that is happy to derail every single TV show thread, as soon as various trigger words are mentioned, and often you don't even watch the programme!

Removal of your access to the TV subforum would be my choice, but then again it would be like a badge of honour for you, proving that you had been cancelled :D

Soldato
Ok - you're like a boring tired record that is happy to derail every single TV show thread, as soon as various trigger words are mentioned, and often you don't even watch the programme!

Removal of your access to the TV subforum would be my choice, but then again it would be like a badge of honour for you, proving that you had been cancelled :D

I don't agree, I contribute in many threads on this forum including reccomending and discussing great TV.

You can personally cancel me anytime by simply using the ignore function!

;)

Commissario
I find the idea that Pratchett would have disliked a show his name is attached to having openly gay couple laughable.

Pratchetts daughter, closest business/writing partner/aide, and the co creator of it all seem to be happy with it, now I'm not sure but I suspect the three of them know what he'd have liked more than us.
I'd also point to the books he himself wrote which included what I suspect some would call an "absolute obsession" with regards to inclusivity and taking people for what they are and not what society thinks of them*.
I mean there is the whole Dwarven storyline with Cheery Littlebottom daring to show that a dwarf can be feminine, there was the entirety of Monstrous Regiment, and it's been too long since I read them but I'm pretty sure there were several characters where it was suggested there was romance or at least more than just friendly affection between members of the same sex (remembering he was writing some of these books back in the 80's and early 90's). If memory serves it's explicitly stated that a lot of time is spent in Dwarven courting rituals very carefully trying to work out each others sex which at the very least suggests that in his Discworld it's not uncommon at all for at least one of the race's to have people of the same sex attracted to each other as a routine thing and only finding out later.

I'm going to have to actually watch season 2 sooner than I'd planned, just so I can see what has got some people so upset, it reminds me of the days when my mum used to get the DM and the saturday magazine had one of their typically offended staffers writing the film reviews and giving them marks for how good or offensive they were, I found so many good films just by paying attention to what that twit didn't like.

*Although that would first require reading those books, and grasping the message that is sometimes subtle, sometimes a sledgehammer. Vimes's development can be summed up as a man determined to see people treated the same regardless of who, or what they are, and trying to be a better person, even if that means understanding and overcoming his own prejudices such as the times he realises he's thinking like the small minded bigots and takes steps to try and correct that (my favourite examples of that include him hiring Cheery and managing to control his reaction to her/her name as he knows it would be disrespectful, and the time he realises he's going to have to hire a vampire).

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not that TP would have disliked an openly gay couple being in his show, as utterly unlikely as that pairing is. It is that the writers have inflicted the most boring, yawn-inducing, cliched, predictable modern trope imaginable on his work, because they are so bereft of creativity and ideas beyond identity politics.

What's so terrible is the the work of a man with boundless energy, creativity and thought provoking ideas has had his work so shabbily treated by people not fit to lace his boots.

And you know what? I think TP would have hated activist propaganda entertianment as he would have seen it for what it is, a blunt tool, unimaginative, artistically bankrupt, dictatorial and lacking any humour, wit or nunace whatsoever - the absolute antithesis of how he talked about the World.

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom