Good Omens: Neil Gaiman to adapt Terry Pratchett collaboration for TV

Soldato
^^^This, is certainly more articulately put than I can be arsed to put it...

My issue isnt with anyone, I'm very much in the 'dont be a ****' boat, I don't care who you are, where you're from or who you lay down with, but when shows suck, and have large chunk of 'The MessageTM' and little else, and then their failure is blamed on people being anti-XYZ then thats just BS, a crap show is a crap show...

But there’s a difference between ‘a show is bad’ and ‘a show is bad because of the message’.

“The message” doesn’t inherently make a show bad, nor does it make it good. There’s been plenty of heterosexual relationships in shows that don’t make sense or aren’t believable because of being poorly written and/or acted. There’s also many shows that don’t have any romantic relationships and are poor. Yet in both cases posters can discuss the faults and their causes in depth.

Yet shows, like this, just get it’s bad because of the message. Or worse, I’m not going to watch something because of the message. At that point people’s bias’ starts to show.

Soldato
I didnt say, or mean, that a show with a message is inherently bad..

I really liked Sense8 for instance, that was full of erotica that wasn't my thing, but was a decent enough story, and it didn't feel like it was force, for the sake of the message, rather than the sake of the story.
A good show, is a good show, but a bad show, regardless of the validity of its message, is still a bad show...

Soldato
Who wants to watch a naked angel (Gabriel) walk down an artificially overcrowded fake London street?
I quite enjoyed the first ep (well, have a few mins still to go) but there were a few things that I thought pushed reality too far. Quite honestly, if someone walked through London naked, I don't think many heads would turn, I think you see much weirder things as it is. Second, no way is the box still there if it was left on a doorstep for more than 30 seconds. Third, no way does anyone find parking that easy...

Associate
I have watched the first episode of the second series. That was one episode too much.

The first series was faithful to the original book written by Pratchett and Gaiman, which came out in 1991 (just at the end of the Cold War). So a large part of that book reflected the Cold War era and the 70's/80's.

It was also a satirical take on the film, The Omen from the 1970's. About the anti-Christ. As I am sure many already knew. Oh and religion, the M25 etc.

This series (series 2), seems to be a blatant cash-in by Gaiman to get money from Amazon Prime and keep Sheen/Tennant onboard. The story just does not interest me. Who wants to watch a naked angel (Gabriel) walk down an artificially overcrowded fake London street? Not me. With the convenient story trope of Gabriel losing his memory.

I preferred Carnival Row, and that had the sense to end after two series.

To conclude, this should never have had a second series, one series and done would have made me happy. Terry Pratchett, who has sadly departed had apparently no input on this series 2 and it shows. The original was a satirical, funny, and referenced many things of the time. I see none of that wit in this series (series 2), because it was rushed out of the door. Instead we get virtue signalling from the production that has been done so many times - it is boring. I am amazed that this second series has such high ratings on Prime now. It reminds me of his American Gods, first series was OK (based on books?) then the ratings dropped off the cliff and it was thankfully cancelled.

He had input in the sense that he hashed out the outline of the story arc (including what we see in season 2 and will in season 3). There was also the next best thing, Terry Pratchett's representative on Earth, who was very involved. So to say there was no input is widely off the mark. Rushed out the door? It's been what, three years since season one!! Carnival Row (while I enjoyed most of it), didn't have the sense to end after two seasons, it got cancelled because of bad ratings (hence the terrible ending). It was lucky to get the second season from what I can remember reading.

See here for a good interview with Terry Pratchett's representative on Earth:

Man of Honour
Rushed out the door? It's been what, three years since season one!!

Time since the last season doesn't really indicate how much time was spent on and/or the progression of development, it might have been rushed out the door after a long period of not much being done, etc.

Associate
Time since the last season doesn't really indicate how much time was spent on and/or the progression of development, it might have been rushed out the door after a long period of not much being done, etc.

Good Omens Season 2 began filming in Scotland on November 2, 2021, and wrapped on March 1, 2022.

Man of Honour
To be fair in respect to development I think a lot of these shows have been impacted by the pandemic - even a lot of shows coming out now seem to be big fat nothings which probably suffered in development due to COVID. Doesn't excuse some of the other elements though.

Associate
Finished the 2nd season and it just felt flat. Even the Tennant/Sheen double act felt phoned in, perhaps their banter was used up after Staged s3 (why was that ever needed?). As for people saying that "the message" was crammed in, I simply need to ask them to think of a friendship that has lasted since before time began. Would that not be love? And who the hell cares who loves who anyway?

Soldato
As for people saying that "the message" was crammed in, I simply need to ask them to think of a friendship that has lasted since before time began. Would that not be love? And who the hell cares who loves who anyway?

You can love someone and not 'be' in love with them in that way..
And its not a case of caring who loves who, its how a friendship that's lasted since before time began, suddenly, from out of nowhere being a physical 'in love' thing, hence the cramming in of a message..

Soldato
To be fair in respect to development I think a lot of these shows have been impacted by the pandemic - even a lot of shows coming out now seem to be big fat nothings which probably suffered in development due to COVID. Doesn't excuse some of the other elements though.
I don't think you can blame covid for poor TV shows personally, there's been loads of well writtten/developed stuff churned out over the past few years.

Soldato
Friendship turning to love? I've never heard of this ever.

I wonder if it would be a 'message' if they were a straight couple.

In the same season where we have an angel and a demon falling in love, despite it seeming a bit fast and having happened off camera in a very short time span, and the same season we have a pair of women being forced together to cover up a 'miracle'...
In 6 episodes we've seen all of this happen, all perfectly fine to you, doesn't come across as forced or trying to hit a certain narrative or tick certain cultural boxes?

Soldato
Watched the first three episodes and it just screams "woke". By all means have a same sex relationship to tick the mandatory TV show diversity box, these days, but not every set of characters. I get that even in the book it's implied that Aziraphale is a bit of a woopsie (I always thought angels were supposed to be asexual but hey ho) but to have him hooking up with Crowley is just cringeworthy.

Associate
Stopped watching as soon as it was implyed they were "partners".. He's sold out to the lgbt mafia again.. such a shame.

Might as well just label this an lgbt show, its going to be offensive to anyone even slightly religious and its going to be pure gringe to anyone thats not queer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched the first three episodes and it just screams "woke". By all means have a same sex relationship to tick the mandatory TV show diversity box, these days, but not every set of characters. I get that even in the book it's implied that Aziraphale is a bit of a woopsie (I always thought angels were supposed to be asexual but hey ho) but to have him hooking up with Crowley is just cringeworthy.

Woke writers manual page 32:

Nothing to say?

Just make everyone gay!

:D

Soldato
Stopped watching as soon as it was implyed they were "partners".. He's sold out to the lgbt mafia again.. such a shame.

Might as well just label this an lgbt show, its going to be offensive to anyone even slightly religious and its going to be pure gringe to anyone thats not queer.

This truly is the depths of tragedy and desperation, thankfully TP isn't alive to see it. Absolutely obsessed maniacs.

Soldato
Finished it last night. It doesn't really bother me if it's a gay or straight relationship(s) in a show, I don't really see what the issue is? I enjoyed it, it was fun. That was it for me really.

I think someone mentioned Sense8, which to me was the opposite. I didn't enjoy the storyline AND I was having the LGBT aspect shoved down my throat in quite an unnecessarily graphic way! There aren't many shows I just stop watching, S8 was one.

Back
Top Bottom