Good spot to live in the Uk?

Soldato
I live in Tunbridge Wells and would recommend it. Best thing to do would be to visit. Warwick Park in TW sounds like it might be up your street (or that area at least).

Soldato
Didn't realise being late was directly related to IQ. Got a source for this?

Also being bad at DIY is also related to IQ?

The guy apparently thought he would help out an ex gf of his by relocating her from Prague to move into his central London flat for "free" to live with him and his current gf whilst this ex gf worked a minimum wage job as a waitress in a cafe.

He also apparently hates his mum yet apparently now wants her to move away with him for free child care yet drives lambos, i8's, Porsches, etc.

There's not any assumptions. It doesn't add up. If you have 2 mill to spend on property. Work as a doctor in a&e where you need to have your eye on the ball at all times not a job like anaesthesia where you do one patient every 2-3 hours and all you need to do is keep them sedated.

He also apparently had his medical degree for 11 years but didn't actually ever work in the field but ran 3 businesses simultaneously. Someone who can run 3 businesses simultaneously should be able to do basic things. So should an a&e doctor.

Also he has been asked before for pictures of his lambo and surprise surprise. You won't find any.
This is a plateau thing though my man. You may be expert at the basics but some folk are expert at things "a level higher" than you are, and time for the things you are expert at are irrelevant. Unfortunately you have hit your own glass ceiling and having nothing to look forward to but more of the same :(

Caporegime
That's because if you bought a house in London >10yrs ago you've seen stupendous gains. Probably much like his parents. I couldn't care less if he's a fantasist or not. Parents with a 900k house in Chiswick/Hammersmith is completely normal, it's actually fairly low for the area if anything. If they lumped him some money to buy a flat a good few years ago then it'd be quite realistic for that to be worth 700k+ now (vague obvs). If he's young enough then he can stretch a mortgage out and buy something worth 900k without any trouble whatsoever.

There's no reason to hate the guy, hate the property market that allowed a bunch of boomers to become zillionaires for no good reason. Then those boomers help out their offspring and we keep the status quo of lucky few getting richer whilst everyone else watches house prices climb out of reach.

Back to the point, I'd be looking around Somerset/Bath especially because you'd probably like the idea of a fast train back to London. But really you could go anywhere.

His ex wife of 11 years took his first home in the divorce. He's 40 years old and started from scratch 7 years ago iirc.

Soldato
Sounds like mid/large town is what you’re after. If you find tourists and students add to the buzz of a place rather than a bloody nightmare then Cantebury, Brighton, Oxford and Cambridge probably fit the bill. Guildford and Tunbridge Wells are good shouts and maybe look at Bath if it’s not too far away from London for you. I’ve heard good things about Winchester but don’t know it personally and Sevenoaks has great schools and connections. Your budget will get you a house but maybe not as big as you think in some of those towns.

Soldato
To be honest i find the guys with all the cool jobs and lifestyle can't even do basic things in life without asking for help, like Dr House and that other droids like Russinating, oh how do i open this door i must go on the forums and ask for help, boggles the mind :eek::confused:

Caporegime
I like to think that Dr House is so good at being a locum he doesn't have any spare mental capacity for, you know, normal things like 'how do I buy two houses' and 'prama-gate' :)

Added LOL:

GD: *gentle chuckle* Here's some advice you might find helpful :)

Pyscho Sonny: *hyperventilitaing* OMG YOU DONT EVEN EXIST THIS IS A FANTASY I BET YOU DONT EVEN PLAY COD WITH ALL GRAPHICS SETTINGS ON LOW YOU NOOB :mad:

Dr House: *takes GD advice, probably in a slightly comical fashion, and moves on with his well-paid life*

Psycho Sonny: AND OH MY GOD ANOTHER THING I NEED TO VENT ABOUT IS -

Soldato
OP
Sorry I have not been back here, been really busy with work the last few days, thanks for all the useful suggestions, its given me lots of useful ideas. We visited Harpenden this week and loved the town but it's as expensive as London lol. Going to look at Ely next week, Bath is a good shout but I need to see if we can actually find a decent place in the budget which I doubt.

We went to Gilford a few months ago and quite liked it. I also visited Winchester which again was lovely.

For the record, yes I have had to fight with dyslexic my whole life but still pushed though. I have no idea why its just the way my brain works. I like to think I am quite good at my job but I cant spell to save my life however I could save yours if get hit by a car, shot, stabbed, need a tube putting down your throat and put into a coma so the machine can breath for you, have a massive, PE, stork, heart attack so yes maybe I my sell your name wrong but your life will be in good hands.

Op have you considered Norfolk? Loads of lovely villages and scenic walks and obviously Norwich for hospitals.

House prices don't quite attract the Cotswolds or Lakes premiums either.

P.S. try and ignore the envious people in here. It's a shame that people aren't impressed rather than jealous. When I see people with nice things it makes me want to work harder to get it too, but I guess for some it just makes them bitter by reminding them of their poor life choices.

Norwich is really high up on the list as my brother is there and its a very nice little town, its good good resturants, good school and house prices are the most affordable out of all the places we looked at.

We did not last too long there and moved back to London 6 months later, but life situation was different at the time.

What's the need for 2 A+E's? I get the reason for wanting to be near 1, but why 2? I'm guessing based on your name it might be work related.

What sort of requirements are you looking for in the house? 900k could buy you a shed with loads of land in the middle of nowhere, or could also buy you a 6 bedroom apartment in the middle of town.

I work in A&E and my partner in ITU. We really wanted something mid-sized with a decent garden, ie 200m2c(ish) and 0.3 to 1 acre of land.

Does not have to be huge. Just spacious in a nice area.

Derbyshire

I lived there for a while with my ex, it was not really for me.

Back to the original problem though, you're going to have an absolute mare trying to find two properties in a desirable rural location at the moment with that sort of budget. Everyone I know that bought London property >10 years ago is in the process of cashing out and moving to the country.....

Yep, that is the issue I know it sounds like a big budget but at the moment most things under £1m are in such huge demand which is what has pushed us to look at going further out of london and ever if you find something you end up getting outbid even if you offer asking price. We fell in love with a house, offerd asking price within a day or 2 of it coming on the market but the owners decided to hold out for a higher price lol.

Too far away for what?

lol that is true, somehow I feel I am willing to leave London but still feel some need to be south. No idea why.

We still have lots of time as aim to move anytime between now and September (start of school).

Associate
We moved from Zone 2 London to Loughton (Zone 6 Essex) earlier this year and don't regret it.

Very close to Epping Forest, walking distance into town, easy to get onto M25 or M11 if we need to drive anywhere and walking distance to a tube station.

Soldato
Warwick is lovely. 1hr 25mins into London if you need it.

Budget may be a little tight, but depends how big you want the place.

Associate
My favourite place is now Cumbria, sister lives there and every time I’ve been to visit it’s been great. Looking to move there in 2/3 years if possible.

Soldato
Being from Norfolk I am a bit biased but it is a very nice area to live. Life always seems a bit more relaxed than most places, some may find it a bit to rural in places. One of best friends is a sister in A+E at the QE at Kings Lynn only hear good things about the staff. Then again I live in North Herts and I would recommend this area, good schools, good links, cheaper than London and southern Herts. Towns such as Hitchin have a good vibe and close to Hospitals.

Soldato
Nobody wants 'Stoke on Trent' as their address though, especially for that sort of money. :p

Norfolk is lovely, but I remember it taking quite a long time to get there in a car (from the midlands) so no idea how good links to somewhere like London are.

Associate
I regard myself as fortunate insofar as we ended up in retirement through sheer chance, in an area near one that many would regard as a good place to take a holiday in. It's like being on holiday all year long here. The New Forest is fifteen minutes away, but five minutes away are some lovely beaches that few know about. It also has one of the mildest climates in the UK, where snow is a rarity. I wouldn't give you tuppence for a million quid house if I had to worry all the time about security.

Possibly the best bit of advice I was ever given, was when I was fourteen and working in a shop. The manager used to drive me home and commented as he locked up after flicking through an enormous bunch of keys for the one that locked the shop door "You can tell the extent of an individual's worries by the number of keys they carry".

Who needs all that?

Back
Top Bottom