• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Goodbye City-Link, hello DHL

Soldato
Looks quite promising:

freedeliveryaliveandkicking.png

That said, I've never used DHL before and City Link haven't failed me yet, hope their service is as good or better.

Associate
I hope they start giving out tracking numbers, that way you`ll always know the exact day your order is coming to your door, and know to make sure someone is in if your working.

Associate
Had plenty of 'Tried to deliver' cards from Citylink, and was utterly underwhelmed by the state of their Depot, a very shoddy unprofessional outfit, but they never actually lost any package for me.

My Company uses DHL all the time and they 'loose' plenty. Mostly because the driver just wants to get a signature from someone, not caring if that someone is the actual addressee or not.

Maybe their Residential service is better, though I have my doubts.

Soldato
Had plenty of 'Tried to deliver' cards from Citylink, and was utterly underwhelmed by the state of their Depot, a very shoddy unprofessional outfit, but they never actually lost any package for me.

My Company uses DHL all the time and they 'loose' plenty. Mostly because the driver just wants to get a signature from someone, not caring if that someone is the actual addressee or not.

Maybe their Residential service is better, though I have my doubts.

I got "carded" this week at work by City Link. Quite how they did that to a Town Hall with a reception desk and loading bay I'll never know.

Associate
I hope they start giving out tracking numbers, that way you`ll always know the exact day your order is coming to your door, and know to make sure someone is in if your working.

Agree ... having tracking numbers is a vital way of keeping customers informed of how a delivery is progressing ... at least once I've only known that a delivery had been attempted (CityLink I think) because I could see that from the tracking system ... without that I'd have had no idea because they didn't leave a card. If a I come to a retailer as a new customer and find that I don't get visibility of the processing of the order (either web page or emails) and particulaily for non-trivial items if I don't get a tracking number then I tend not to use that retailer again. I came into online purchasing way back when Amazon were just doing books and the way they keep you informed of orders remains, for me, the standad I judge anyone else against

Soldato
Had DHL deliver a laptop off the 'bay the other week, didn't ring bell, didn't even leave card. Eventually I messaged the seller who gave me the tracking number, went to DHL's site.... what a god-awful mess. There's like 3 different links for tracking, then 7 different types of service all with different codes and names for the codes. Wasn't clear at all but I managed to get the info and re-arrange. I waited the next day ready to snatch the box out of the driver's hands, but they didn't come, despite them assuring me over the phone it was on the way. It turns out some thick **** didn't even load it onto the van and it got lost in purgatory! I had to go to the depot that Saturday in the end, finding the entrance wasn't easy either.

Still better than CityLink :D

Associate
I am sad to see city link go, in my area yorkshire they seemed very good. I must have had over 20 items from ocuk over the years. Not one late delivary or damaged item and they always knocked nice and loud.

I hope dhl are just as good, but i dont like the sound of there tracking system.

Soldato
I am sad to see city link go, in my area yorkshire they seemed very good. I must have had over 20 items from ocuk over the years. Not one late delivary or damaged item and they always knocked nice and loud.

I hope dhl are just as good, but i dont like the sound of there tracking system.

Yep same here, I'm also from Yorkshire.

Associate
Well for me DHL have always been good so hopefully this is a good move. Apparently you get the drivers mobile number so you can call him!

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Been using DHL @ Home for quite a while, because they are practically the only delivery company open to small volume shipping below £8 for 24 hour service. Many, many resellers of the service available to regular folk as well. However, in my experience, great price aside, their delivery service is very much hit and miss, mostly because they use completely random private man&van operators for their collections and deliveries in many places. Usually the scenario is - if they don't find space to park, they don't bother, if their GPS anounce postcode and they don't find number, they don't bother. Plus I have about one in 20 damaged parcels ratio so far after half a year. It seems no matter what I do, they still manage to jam something into boxes with more force than any regular packaging can withstand. And the claim procedure is just about slowest and most ridiculous in the business..

Last edited:
Associate
I'm sorry to see CityLink go-they have always be fantastic for me in this area and never had any problems with them. DHL on the other hand are the worst delivery company ever. I have only had to things delivered by them and they were a mess.

1st one didn't get delivered as it was routed to there Edinburgh depot and where I stay isn't on there map apparently as it should have been delivered from Glasgow depot. No phonecall even though they had my phone number - they just didn't bother delivering it for 3 days.

2nd one was much the same-paid for next day but didn't get it till 2 days later.

I hope I see positive comments on here from people waiting on delivery I really do. If not then I for one won't be making any orders any time soon.

Suppose you have good and bad with every delivery company so I`ll wait and see how others get on.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
No more OcUK purchases for me then - DHL's nearest depot to manchester is warrington - so its a 40m round trip - at the weekend since they close the depot at 6pm or so when they card me. Also have had no problems with citylink - and depot is 2 miles away and open until 8pm or so. I don't deal with people who use DHL - as the yanks would say - PERIOD.

Associate
Yup, I've taken days off work where i've literally been working at a PC that's right by the front door... then finding out later in the day that they "tried to deliver, but no one answered"

Shoddy, unprofessional and the worst service i've ever known.

Roll on DHL (although different DHL options might be nice)...
Hmm, City-Link have done that to me on at least 3 occassions, very irritating! Not at all sad to see them go ;)

Associate
Royal Fail is good enough for me, city link in our area wasnt all that bad.

On basis the basis that I assume I'm going to need to pick up any delivery as I'm not going to be in when delivered ParcelForce are ok (depot almost on way to work ... virtually next door to DHL .... though they now seem to drop things off at a local Post Office which is more convenient if its not pension day :), but Royal Mail while having sorting office quite close now have a "wait 48 hours after card before collecting" since it appears posties now no longer take undelivered items back to the sorting office at end of round but taken them home and bring them in the next morning so that they're not then resorted for pickup until at least mid-morning the next day .... then you've always got the danger of the innumerate postie we had a couple of years ago who basically seemed to stick a random selection of letters through each letter box in a street and leave it to us to sort out the mess.

Back
Top Bottom