1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google apparently suspending some business with Huawei.

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by biron_w, May 19, 2019.

1. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

I don't believe Google Play will be removed from any devices that already have it, will it?

2. Grandmaster Fap!

Sgarrista

As far as i understand it, anything that has been released will have full support, it only affects devices not released.

3. jpaul

Sgarrista

they could block future app updates..

moreover - article today about Baltimore city who have been ransomed a month back, by the same/similar NSA software as the UK NHS was,
    creating enormous economic damage, which shows what potential there is for a malevolent infrastructure actor.

4. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

They could. They could block Samsung, Sony or OnePlus or any other foreign manufacturer. Anything could happen in the future, but this wont happen from what we're talking about in this thread, is the point.

5. dcsarge

Wise Guy

Best thing to do is ask them at point of sale/during return period and if possible have a record of the answer. A friend asked them the same thing before as his P30 Pro was delivered just as this kicked off. He was told if he was in contract and paying for the device and it no longer functioned as sold, they would allow a swap for another manufacturer of equivalent price. No idea if he got that in writing though :p.

6. neil_g

Sgarrista

Just had the June andriod security patches hit my P20 so updates still coming down so far.

7. elrasho

Soldato

They will do, this only affects the use of Google services like Play Store, Gmail app, Maps etc....

HUAWEI and Google both said devices will continue to get security patches after the August cut off date.

8. AndyCr15

Sgarrista

And not for at least 3 months now...

9. jpaul

Sgarrista

their ceo was on the uk news - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...for-a-steep-drop-in-overseas-smartphone-sales
    Deals ? ... maybe we'll get to see what kind of marginsthey have following expensive phones thread

10. TaKeN

Capodecina

I'm still wanting a P20 Pro (which is overkill for a Farmer to carry round)

Prices were looking quite reasonable last week but have gone up as of the weekend!

11. mulpsmebeauty

Mobster

I was expecting some aggressive moves on the pricing, which haven't materialised.

12. elrasho

Soldato

Got the Pie update on my Honor 8X at the weekend. So I;m happy to keep mine as long as I get security patches

13. Azrael1

Wise Guy

At the moment this p30 pro and oppo 10x have the debatable beat camera on any phone. However as other phone companies catch up and with the pixel 4 coming out end of the year. The trade in value commercially is already bad for these devices. I can forsee some upset people crying that they get so little for when they want to trade in there phones. Then complaining to their carriers for a new mobile.

14. Grandmaster Fap!

Sgarrista

I cant see this mess with Hu going on much longer, some major US players are already sending letters to the orange idiot to knock it on the head as its costing them more than Hu.

15. TaKeN

Capodecina

16. Wizzfizz

Capodecina

That because Trump is out of contract and wants a new phone!

17. neoboy

Capodecina

So yeah, all reversed and back to normal.

Sauce

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  18. TaKeN

Capodecina

EDIT - Spoke too soon, price has gone up to £37 a month in the last few minutes.. arghh.

I'm sitting on the fence at the moment with the Mate 20 Pro.. £33 a month for 30 GB & Unlimited text/Minutes. I can't find a deal anywhere else that competes with that on price for the spec of phone.

Business expense too for the farm as I use my phone to order cow feed and check the weather etc, do you think it's worth a punt? £660 over two years when you consider the VAT refund, so around £27.50 a month, £40 Cashback via TCB, makes the phone around £300ish which you can't even pickup new or SH at that price..

Should I go for it? I need a push! Currently using a Wileyfox Swift with a £6 goodybag.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  19. wayne wonder

Associate

lol trump really is a moron we shall see how long this lasts

20. FTM

Soldato

this...I fully expect him to change his mind next week

I think it depends entirely on who is moaning at him the loudest and he changes his decisions based on who he happens to have just talked to.