Google Drive

One

One

Soldato
Your Google Drive is not ready yet

I have things on my google documents, could there be a transfer stage for people like me?

Just got it off the app market and it's downloaded fine but given me the same message on teh screen that it's not ready for me yet.

Soldato
To be honest I'm surprised it's taken this long for the big companies to offer this sort of service.
Odd isn't it that people see Google as always leading the way when MS and Apple, as well as Dropbox, box.net etc have been doing this for years.

I've settled on a mix of Drobox (for integrated into mobile apps stuff) and SkyDrive atm. SkyDrive in particular been updated with some quite impressive Windows, iOS, Mac and WP Apps. 25Gb free storage and integrates into explorer (at least in Windows) so it just appears like normal storage for drag and drop goodness as well as file sync, selective sharing and remote access etc.

I quite like that you get access to the Office web apps (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Onenote) free as well on-line.

https://apps.live.com/skydrive

If you already have a Skydrive (Hotmail/Live/ etc) account you need to log in and make sure you tick the "free upgrade for existing users" to 25Gb before May though, looks like by default it'll be 7Gb free going forward.

Unsurprisingly no native support for Android, you have to go through the browser.

**edit**

Sorry, hadn't seen the SkyDrive thread further down the page so I've duplicated stuff around the Apps etc here - doh!

Last edited:
Soldato
I would get rid of that link.
When I clicked on it there was a disgusting picture that somebody had put on.

I did... Was just a tester

Seems you can do that fine.

One of the things i like with dropbox is the ability to use it to host my own images and link them such as.

whaaaaat.gif

You can do this with GDocs - see?

eyggT8oZr2k0NhGf33hZzh3Iw8_g0gia8kLULKeJ-hbjxbWCbIxPU7iSCeCeWzVkhlsw8mgtikE

Soldato
They're telling me mine will be activated soon - I'll get an e-mail when it's ready apparently.

I assume they're staggering the activations in order to cut down on the load?

Associate
I'm still waiting for my drive to be activated. Can anyone tell me if the client supports multiple accounts? I've got two Google Apps accounts (different domains) and it would be nice if I could set individual folders to sync for each account. Possible?

Soldato
From a functionality/friendlyness point of view, how does it compare to Dropbox, which is superb IMHO?
- Can you just drop files/view files as per a standard window/folder on your PC (like dropbox)?
- With GoogleDrive can you assign any folder as your sync folder? eg: Your "My Documents" folder to automatically back up all your documents?
- How much does it mess up/confuse your existing google documents and their folders?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
From a functionality/friendlyness point of view, how does it compare to Dropbox, which is superb IMHO?
- Can you just drop files/view files as per a standard window/folder on your PC (like dropbox)?

Yes

- With GoogleDrive can you assign any folder as your sync folder? eg: Your "My Documents" folder to automatically back up all your documents?

Yes

- How much does it mess up/confuse your existing google documents and their folders?

None at all, Drive has effectively replaced Google Docs

edit--------------->

Richie are you a wizard?!? :D

Soldato
Got my activation through earlier, upgraded to the extra 25gb package for $30/year now have 30gb storage and the extra boost to gmail was welcome, now from 9gb to 30gb also. Installed the desktop app on to Win 7 x64 box with no issues and works a treat. Just waiting for the iOS App to be released and will migrate away from Dropbox.

As someone mentioned earlier, looks like the launch is slowing download/upload speeds due to the sheer number of users. Hopefully this will calm down over the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom