Google-Motorola "X Phone" in the 2013 pipeline?

Soldato
Yup, the new notification system is ace, much better than a LED imo, iirc hasn't there been an app on android for like the last few years which can do this, something called noLED and a few others??

Yeh but its not possible on LED screens. Only AMOLED screens can selectively turn on individual pixels. I think Moto may have optimised further to ensure the phone stays sleeping while pushing the notifications.

Man of Honour
I quite like the look of this so far, if it's cheap then it'll be a total winner, but that will mean nothing unless Google market the living hell out of it (they didn't with the N4).

Associate
now please let the camera be good and excellent battery life!

The two recent Motorolas I've had have both had great battery life. I have a Razr HD currently which is none Maxx and easily goes a full day and then some. As ever there are variables. One spot I work at has poorer signal reception and although it always hangs onto signal (where I had no signal at all with previous HTC phones) it does hammer the battery more. Never run low though. Camera is OK though could be better. Hopefully that angle will have been improved?

If no memory card slot and around 12gigs of 'free' storage is looking a little mean though concede is workable.

Soldato
The two recent Motorolas I've had have both had great battery life. I have a Razr HD currently which is none Maxx and easily goes a full day and then some. As ever there are variables. One spot I work at has poorer signal reception and although it always hangs onto signal (where I had no signal at all with previous HTC phones) it does hammer the battery more. Never run low though. Camera is OK though could be better. Hopefully that angle will have been improved?

If no memory card slot and around 12gigs of 'free' storage is looking a little mean though concede is workable.

Battery life is great: 4 hours on, 90 minutes screen time, still at 68%.

I read that online doesn't seem all that amazing tbh. I get roughly the same amount out of my Nexus 4 (as long as I have ok signal which I don't at work).

Soldato
LED=AMOLED

LED backlit LCD is still LCD.

No AMOLED is not LCD it's completely different. If you wish to learn more about AMOLED feel free to check out the wiki article here.

You are probably confusing WLED or RGB-LED which both use LCD displays with LED back lighting.

Soldato
Where did I say that?

You said it's not possible on LED screens. Now whats an LED screen? It's OLED. Not the marketing trash that is a LED backlit LCD.

I think you'll find that your wrong.

Huh? It's obvious I am referring to LCD-LED (LED IS LED NOT OLED, LED IS JUST A FORM OF LIGHT) back lighting because I mention AMOLED (which IS OLED) in the same post... How could I possibly mean OLED by saying LED?

I think you need to check your terms friend because your way off the mark. Your wrong.

Soldato
Since when do we refer to screen type with the type of backlight they use?

An LCD screen is LCD no matter what backlight it uses. For you to refer to it as an LED screen is wrong.

Did you call a florescent backlit LCD a 'flourescent screen'?

Soldato
Since when do we refer to screen type with the type of backlight they use?

An LCD screen is LCD no matter what backlight it uses. For you to refer to it as an LED screen is wrong.

Did you call a florescent backlit LCD a 'flourescent screen'?

You said "LED=AMOLED" your categorically wrong.

LED is a much better term to use to describe LED backlit LCD because it incorporates every form of LCD used in mobile phones and TVs today, there's several different ways of doing it that you can read about here. No LCD screens today are using tubes to power the lighting.

Soldato
LCD is LCD no matter what the type of back light. If you still want to call it LED, then I'll leave that to you.

The difference is "LED" IS frequently used to describe LCD-LED screens and is NEVER used to describe OLED screens.

BenQ GL955A 18.5" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black

Go ahead check on most major retail sites. The term LED is used all the time to describe LCD.

I'm not entirely sure why you even started this... just fancied an argument? It was obvious what technology I was referring too.

Last edited:
Soldato
^ It worked better on the N8, can't see squat without a backlight in normal light.
Screen burn is an issue though, the notification won't stay on there for long.(that Nokia moving clock was annoying as hell :p)

Oh when Nexus said "Yup, the new notification system is ace, much better than a LED imo" He mean't LED notification light not screen technology, thus rendering the last few posts totally pointless :D:D:D:D:D
(Kona is correct though. LCD is LCD regardless of backlight technology, retailers use LED in the title for marketing)

A couple of interesting rumours going about though which I have heard.

Apparently the phone has a special extreme high quality audio chip, it needs this for it's always on listening mode, the chip is constantly in an extremely low powered state and can wake the phone up when it hears key words. More about this chip can be found here.

That would be awesome!

Soldato
(Kona is correct though. LCD is LCD regardless of backlight technology, retailers use LED in the title for marketing)

Wow, it's like I'm back at school and there's a cool club who stick up for each other regardless... the irony is I have no idea how or why he decided to argue, I just happened to use LED and LCD interchangeably as retailers everywhere do and it's pretty common to describe LED-LCD screens as LED. In fact as far as screen tech goes the term LED is only ever used to describe LCD-LED screens... so why it spiralled into this massive debate I have no idea.

I never claimed it was technically correct just that LED does NOT = AMOLED as he claimed.

There was no point in that argument where he was right and I was wrong... sometimes it beggars belief. :(

Soldato
How could you possibly conceive that Rogers a completely Canadian mobile operator video, demoing the Moto X could mean a US exclusive?

If anything it categorically proves it is not US only... :rolleyes:

Well if anything I should have said it'll be for those parts only, I still not sure it'll come here totally, but it may. Either way I'm not really impressed with it to be fair.

Caporegime

Yeah I am expecting this to have good battery life since motorola have always used big batteries and their last phones have been the best for battery life, iirc people on xda were getting up to 8 hours on screen time with the razr i :eek:

Plus the phone looks to be quite thick.....

Camera is a tough one as even if they use excellent hardware, it is pointless if they haven't optimised the software, extremely important this.

One thing, which I am a bit curious about is the way you take the photos, I hope there is an option to manually focus! and I am really hoping for some serious camera features like sense/touchwiz especially slow motion recording! :p

Back
Top Bottom