Google Pixel 5

Associate
I’m only talking about the camera, the camera is 90% as good as the pixels.

i could put up with a flakier device in exchange for a better camera but now the gap is so small it’s not worth it.

Yeah. The selling point of the pixels was. Wow, look at the photo that has taken in the dark. That's ridiculous?

Other phones/manufacturers have now closed the gap, they can offer something very very close, that the average user would be happy with, the pixel is no longer way in front of the competition.

They need to take the step forward again and push themselves so they gain that gap again.

Soldato
Thats the problem... the only phone that is a viable alternative to a Pixel for an awful lot of people is an iPhone.
Pretty sorry state of affairs given how far down the line we are with Android- not like its just come out is it.

Soldato
Instead of team pixel trying to drastically improve pictures, they should concentrate on nailing their video quality. Plus they need the higher frames rate and slow mo options with flexibility and editing.

And let's hope they put a quality sensor behind the ultra wide.

Soldato
Thats the problem... the only phone that is a viable alternative to a Pixel for an awful lot of people is an iPhone.
Pretty sorry state of affairs given how far down the line we are with Android- not like its just come out is it.

yep exactly, god knows why software horrors lie with other manufacturers. I would have considered a huawei but that has been kneecapped

Associate
I’m only talking about the camera, the camera is 90% as good as the pixels.

i could put up with a flakier device in exchange for a better camera but now the gap is so small it’s not worth it.
In a conversation with The Verge, Marc Levoy (a former Google engineer who led the team that developed computational photography for Pixel phones) explained that changes to the hardware are offering diminishing returns, and in some cases come with their own problems.

Levoy said “Because of the diminishing returns due to the laws of physics, I don’t know that the basic sensors are that much of a draw.”
https://www.techradar.com/news/google-pixel-5-may-keep-the-pixel-4s-camera-and-we-might-know-why

Cop out excuse or true? I think we are already seeing this with the problems samsung have aith their new cameras. They could still add more sensors mind but seems reasonable.

I don't game on phones so I don't really need the latest cpu and there should be enough ram to last a few years.

We are comparing views to old phones I'm sure/hopr there will be a years worth of new suprises in the new pixel 5.

Soldato
https://www.techradar.com/news/google-pixel-5-may-keep-the-pixel-4s-camera-and-we-might-know-why

Cop out excuse or true? I think we are already seeing this with the problems samsung have aith their new cameras. They could still add more sensors mind but seems reasonable.

I don't game on phones so I don't really need the latest cpu and there should be enough ram to last a few years.

We are comparing views to old phones I'm sure/hopr there will be a years worth of new suprises in the new pixel 5.

I can belive it, its all software.

Associate
Google event 30th Sept.

Pixel 5 photos - model showing as “5S”
X1jAvKC_d.webp

TKwKOLp_d.webp

hcW0nxu_d.webp

MWWrV3b_d.webp

H46VGZl_d.webp

Possible explanation for 5S moniker.
https://www.androidcentral.com/editors-desk-google-pixel-5s-explained

Soldato
Strange, I just randomly thought earlier that I would like to upgrade my Pixel 2 and wondered when the 5 would be released. Good timing.
This looks a nice little upgrade for me.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
https://9to5google.com/2020/09/14/google-pixel-5-september-event/

In an invitation just sent to the press, Google has officially confirmed an online launch event for Wednesday, September 30, where the company will officially launch its next lineup of products including Pixel 5, a new Chromecast, and more.

Google’s “Launch Night In” event is set to take place at 11 a.m. on September 30. According to an FAQ page, the event will not be livestreamed to the public. However, Google is promoting the launch on its social channels, implying it might be public after all. We’ll update this post as more information is available.

Update: Google has confirmed on its FAQ page that the event will be livestreamed to the public at 11 a.m. PT on September 30.

Soldato
I’d be very tempted by this but I can’t face not having face unlock.

I like face unlock and optical in-screen fingerprint reader. The rear-mounted reader is far and away my least favourite unlock method. I wonder why Google persist with it when pretty much every other manufacturer has moved on.

Soldato
I like face unlock and optical in-screen fingerprint reader. The rear-mounted reader is far and away my least favourite unlock method. I wonder why Google persist with it when pretty much every other manufacturer has moved on.
I still find the rear scanner on the Pixel 2 fine, every now and then it's annoying if it's flat on the surface but other than that haven't had any issues.

Soldato
I still find the rear scanner on the Pixel 2 fine, every now and then it's annoying if it's flat on the surface but other than that haven't had any issues.

I don't think I ever got used to the one on my S8 and S8+, but the scanner was almost flush on those phones and positioned right next to part of the camera arrangement so it was harder to be sure where your finger had landed.

Most of the time my phone is sat on my desk, so I like being able to plonk my finger straight down on the reader. I accept everyone has their preferences.

Soldato
I don't think I ever got used to the one on my S8 and S8+, but the scanner was almost flush on those phones and positioned right next to part of the camera arrangement so it was harder to be sure where your finger had landed.

Most of the time my phone is sat on my desk, so I like being able to plonk my finger straight down on the reader. I accept everyone has their preferences.
I considered an S8 when I got my pixel but found the fingerprint scanner location on the back shocking. Different strokes for different folks and all!

Associate

same here, find the position perfect and it works really consistently for me (unless you have a wet finger, then face unlock would be great))

Back
Top Bottom