Google Pixel 5

Soldato
A Google announcement isn't necessarily the same as a release :)

They announced the Pixel 4a a while back, but it still isn't available in every market.
indeed, hence my usage of the word "announced" rather than "released" :)
nobody knows when they're going to be released yet

Associate
All the rumours I’ve seen suggests the pixel 5 is leaning towards premium midrange, including a 7xx series SoC - this would instantly drop it from a potential device for me, as it’s easy to notice the slowdown after a year with updates that are more taxing due to newer, “better” features.

The only android at the moment which looks competitive in features is the Xperia 5 II, but I’m not confident about the camera capabilities knowing Sony’s reluctance to implement computational based photography.

Not so sure about this, the Pixel phones are well optimised, my Pixel 2 still runs lovely.

Soldato
Not so sure about this, the Pixel phones are well optimised, my Pixel 2 still runs lovely.

Mine ran well when I sold it, but not as well as new, with notable hiccups over time. My girlfriends 3A faired a bit worse, with lots of hangs until one day it just died and didn’t turn back on :(

I can only really go by my own experience, but of late, and in my opinion, iOS has been a more consistent experience. This may, of course change, in time, at which point I may switch back. But at the moment, I couldn’t see myself getting a Pixel 5. Especially with how awesome Face ID has been in comparison to a fingerprint sensor - as a regular gym goer, I frequently had annoyances with an S8 and later an S10 that I had as a work phone (I left my personal phone in the car rather than having an additional phone with me). Before that, the Pixel 2XL was quite troublesome at reading a sweaty finger :p

Obviously there’s no perfect solution, as the masks have made it trickier for Face ID.

That being said, I’m definitely going to keep and open mind and patiently wait for Google’s latest and greatest :cool:

Soldato
My girlfriends 3A faired a bit worse, with lots of hangs until one day it just died and didn’t turn back on
That's a shame. I recommended the 3A to my sister as she just wanted a good camera and she's loved it. Had one hiccup with the provided charger not working properly but other than that has been flawless. I think it's a great phone assuming you don't have the issues you had!

Soldato
That's a shame. I recommended the 3A to my sister as she just wanted a good camera and she's loved it. Had one hiccup with the provided charger not working properly but other than that has been flawless. I think it's a great phone assuming you don't have the issues you had!

It wasn’t terrible, and I think it depends on how much you use your device. My girlfriend uses hers a lot, with quite intensive apps like Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat, all of which are poorly optimised, comparatively clunky to iOS versions and hence intensive to run. A phone quickly gets bogged down when running these, even my S10 did for the short while I ran some social media stuff for a competition I was coordinating.

It seems a bit up and down really.

That being said, when her phone died, she switched to an Honor 20 Pro which was HORRENDOUS, and she quickly realised how good the 3A was for a £300 device.

It’s important to have perspective with this stuff really - I can’t expect a £300 to be as good as my 2XL, which was £700(?), and the iPhone XS Max at £1099!

I’d be more than happy spending equivalent money on a Pixel 5 Pro XL which had:

• Triple camera (Normal, wide, tele - I use all)
  • 4500 mAh battery
  • A 120 Hz OLED with great brightness
  • Face ID (no notch ideally, just a larger forehead like the 4)
  • Stereo speakers
  • IP 68
  • SD 865

I can’t think of any other features, but that would be a dream phone.

Soldato
I’d be more than happy spending equivalent money on a Pixel 5 Pro XL which had:

• Triple camera (Normal, wide, tele - I use all)
  • 4500 mAh battery
  • A 120 Hz OLED with great brightness
  • Face ID (no notch ideally, just a larger forehead like the 4)
  • Stereo speakers
  • IP 68
  • SD 865

I can’t think of any other features, but that would be a dream phone.

Agreed! Would buy that phone in a heartbeat (though would add screen must be oled, 1440p and flat)

Soldato
Agreed! Would buy that phone in a heartbeat (though would add screen must be oled, 1440p and flat)
The Face ID system and lack of fingerprint sensor was the main reason I just didn't bother considering the Pixel 4 last year. I've been keeping an eye on this reddit page (https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/e6zc5c/the_state_of_face_unlock/) and until Google can somehow push devs and organisations to implement it I just wouldn't consider another top of the range Pixel.

Soldato
The Face ID system and lack of fingerprint sensor was the main reason I just didn't bother considering the Pixel 4 last year. I've been keeping an eye on this reddit page (https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/e6zc5c/the_state_of_face_unlock/) and until Google can somehow push devs and organisations to implement it I just wouldn't consider another top of the range Pixel.

Its the perfect example of Androids biggest downfall - execution and ecosystem. Its why Apple have been so comparatively successful, because when they want time implement change, everyone MUST join in.

I’m not fussed about 1440p - I’d have the extra battery life and more consistent animations from lower frame rate, but a flat display is a must.

Soldato
Its the perfect example of Androids biggest downfall - execution and ecosystem. Its why Apple have been so comparatively successful, because when they want time implement change, everyone MUST join in.

I had the temerity to suggest this in a different thread some time ago and was told that it was, in fact, a good thing that Google didn't force companies to accept its face unlock system. Something something Android, something something freedom of choice working as intended. Even though Google do insist on many things - just not this.

Soldato
I had the temerity to suggest this in a different thread some time ago and was told that it was, in fact, a good thing that Google didn't force companies to accept its face unlock system. Something something Android, something something freedom of choice working as intended. Even though Google do insist on many things - just not this.

People just being numpties then, because if they were serious, they should have forced apps on the play store to include it as a viable method of authentication or risk being removed. But that’s not Google’s way.

There should be a balance of being forceful and open, because without a little bit of pushing, there’s never any forward momentum/change.

Soldato
yeah I must admit face unlock is a big draw for me as I spend a fair bit of time outdoors and my fingers arent often in the perfectly clean / dry condition that seems to be required for FP readers to work. Still baffles me that they'd drop it after one phone... cant have been cheap to develop

Soldato
yeah I must admit face unlock is a big draw for me as I spend a fair bit of time outdoors and my fingers arent often in the perfectly clean / dry condition that seems to be required for FP readers to work. Still baffles me that they'd drop it after one phone... cant have been cheap to develop

Maybe the hardware costs too much to include in the new 'mid range' Pixel 5.

Soldato
i have a oneplus 7t and would like to go back to the pixel experience but the pixel 5 is coming with a slower processor than a 1 year old phone. Google must want to keep massive margins

Back
Top Bottom