Google Pixel 5

Soldato
I don't really get this... "she stopped it backing up automatically because she thought it was backing up automatically"? Well, it was, until she stopped it :cry: (maybe around 23rd June?)

Did you say they can be found using a file explorer? If not, I'm thinking they aren't there, they are deleted. I would then be wondering if she has installed some for of 'cleaning' app, that removes things for you. You normally have to agree, but maybe if it just lists lots of file names, you don't realise?

Can the earlier photos (pre 23rd June) be found with a file explorer? I expect not and the ones being seen in Google Photos are the ones stored in the cloud?

Sorry! Im making terrible effort at explaining this!

Lets try again....

She got the Pixel 5 and had not used a Google phone before. We went on holiday and she didn't really play with it beforehand. The camera was really good so that was fine. At some point she thought she noticed photos disappearing or at least a couple that weren't there. She then looked into it and thought that they were being deleted off the phone and moved into cloud storage so hit some setting to stop the automatic back up. At this point she noticed that Google were trying to sell the additional 100gb of storage and as we were on holiday she wasn't sure if she wanted to do that. We are now back from holiday and yesterday every photo before yesterday all the way back to the 23rd June has disappeared, photos prior to that are still there. When she logs into the Google Photo website none of the photos are there and going into the DCIM folder through files doesnt turn them up either. Its very strange!

She will now buy the Google storage and have everything automatically backed up but as she is adamant that she didn't delete the pics (and there is no way she would have) she is concerned about losing things again going forward.

I hope thats a better explanation.

Soldato
When she logs into the Google Photo website none of the photos are there and going into the DCIM folder through files doesnt turn them up either.

Pre 23rd doesn't show in Photos or in file manager?

Sorry, this might not help at all, just trying to get things clear :)

A = Pre 23rd
B = Post 23rd

1 = Google Photos (web)
2 = File Manager

A1 = No?
A2 = Yes?
B1 = No
B2 = No

Or, all no maybe?

Soldato
Pre 23rd doesn't show in Photos or in file manager?

Sorry, this might not help at all, just trying to get things clear :)

A = Pre 23rd
B = Post 23rd

1 = Google Photos (web)
2 = File Manager

A1 = No?
A2 = Yes?
B1 = No
B2 = No

Or, all no maybe?

Google photos web has nothing stored there relevant to this discussion, pre 23rd is in file manager and the gallery so

A1- No
A2-Yes
B1-No
B2-No

as you suggest!

Soldato
OK getting back to my photo disappearing issues from a few days ago I have found the following info online (well my wife did). I think this quote comes from the app rather than the phone....

'If you use a Pixel, backed up items will be permanently deleted after 60 days. However items that aren't backed up (only stored locally on the device) will be deleted after 30 days"

This would explain the gradual disappearance. Surely there must be a way round this and others have had the same issues? Why cant you just use the storage like a normal damn phone and the picture stay where you left them???

Soldato
Erm, what? Can you link to that so we can see context? I've never had it delete anything from mine. Why would it delete your photos?!

Also, I thought ALL photos from the last few months were gone and some were there from a long time back? That doesn't line up with this explanation surely?

Soldato
Erm, what? Can you link to that so we can see context? I've never had it delete anything from mine. Why would it delete your photos?!

Also, I thought ALL photos from the last few months were gone and some were there from a long time back? That doesn't line up with this explanation surely?

Sure, the dates would line up roughly for a 30 day delete if she had switched off the automatic back up I think. However she has just sent me the link rather than the screenshot and it now appears that its talking about items being deleted from your bin rather than all the items on the phone which makes more sense.

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6128858?hl=en-GB&co=GENIE.Platform=Android

Should have checked the link rather than just go by the screenshot of one paragraph out of context.

Soldato
I'm sure second hand market will move below £400 real soon with the release of 6 series so 5 will be the unoffical 5a here in Europe.

Differences aren't even that big if leaks are to be believed, same SoC (less RAM) and camera system, bigger battery although screen is also bigger at 6.4" compared to 6" with wireless charging missing and reduced water and dust resistance. Rumoured price is at $450 and only dinosaurs like me would be happy about the headphone jack ;)

I'm sure second hand market will move below £400 real soon with the release of 6 series so 5 will be the unoffical 5a here in Europe.

Differences aren't even that big if leaks are to be believed, same SoC (less RAM) and camera system, bigger battery although screen is also bigger at 6.4" compared to 6" with wireless charging missing and reduced water and dust resistance. Rumoured price is at $450 and only dinosaurs like me would be happy about the headphone jack ;)

agreed. if someone was asking me which phone to get below £600, it'd be the pixel 5.

Soldato
Need a new phone and after research am drawn to Pixel.

Pixel 5 is perfect size. I do not want bigger than 6" (ooh err missus).

But its still £600 with a new model coming out in a couple months. I'd buy it now at £500, but I don't think it should still be at RRP at £600.

The new Pixel 5a coming out possibly this month, although its mostly rumour, suggests that its a bigger phone like the current Pixel 4a 5G.

Pixel 4a also looks ok, but presumably there will soon be a replacement for that too?

What should I do here? Wait, but risk that all the phones get bigger and are therefore ruled out? Or buy Pixel 5 now at what I think is an inflated price for EOL.

Soldato
Need a new phone and after research am drawn to Pixel.

Pixel 5 is perfect size. I do not want bigger than 6" (ooh err missus).

But its still £600 with a new model coming out in a couple months. I'd buy it now at £500, but I don't think it should still be at RRP at £600.

The new Pixel 5a coming out possibly this month, although its mostly rumour, suggests that its a bigger phone like the current Pixel 4a 5G.

Pixel 4a also looks ok, but presumably there will soon be a replacement for that too?

What should I do here? Wait, but risk that all the phones get bigger and are therefore ruled out? Or buy Pixel 5 now at what I think is an inflated price for EOL.

Google will do the usual and sell out last stock at probably 529 soon. Will they have stock in UK at that price? Your guess.

Back
Top Bottom