Google Pixel 5

Soldato
I would be tempted by the 4a but the processing power difference between my Pixel 2 and it don't seem that great? If the Pixel 5 was c. £500 with pixel buds I'd be straight in there I think

Soldato
Google are not known for making industry-leading hardware decisions. If the Pixel turns out to be $700 (i.e. £700) then it'll be another example of that.

Soldato
If it's IP rated and is around the £600 mark then I'll probably bite... As much as I want to go down the iPhone route this year it just doesn't make financial sense!

Soldato
As much as I want to go down the iPhone route this year it just doesn't make financial sense!

The rumoured 5.4" and 6.1" non-pro models are (also rumoured) to have starting prices in the region of the current iPhone 11. That puts them not much above a £600 Pixel 5.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I'm at a point where I'll only use stock Android so it's only pixel phones for me.

Rocking a broken 3XL which I've loved, does everything I need except the screen is smashed and far too difficult/expensive to repair safely. Waiting for the 5 to arrive however worried about the rumoured lack of an XL model. Don't care about face unlock etc and really prefer a rear fingerprint sensor so the 5 has potential for me, especially if they're aiming back towards the Nexus style pricing.

I also don't understand the "a models". What problem are they solving?

Associate
I also don't understand the "a models". What problem are they solving?

What is there to understand? They're offering a device that does 99% of what most people want a phone to do, and does it 90% as well as flagship, while costing a third of the price. Simple as that really.

Associate
the 5 has potential for me, especially if they're aiming back towards the Nexus style pricing.

This exactly for me, still using my Pixel 2, wanted the 4 but the battery life put me off. The 5 is looking like a genuine slamdunk for my requirements based on leaked specs, assuming they price it accordingly I'm in.

Associate
Just been having a read on how pixel cameras work as it interests me the most about a pixel.

I was thinking that it would sort of generate some of the image itself based on what it thinks it would be like, taking my reasoning from seeing nvidias sketch to images ai

but it takes images before you even press to and merges them together in low light to produce what their algorithms say is a good image. This process also makes image stabilization less important.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/13315168/google-pixel-camera-software-marc-levoy

Also on my findings about Marc Levoy I found he left pixel to join with adobe.

https://9to5google.com/2020/07/20/pixel-marc-levoy-adobe/

The person who took charge once he left is quoted as saying
At a hardware team all-hands meeting in the fall, ahead of the October launch in New York, Osterloh informed staff about his own misgivings. He told them he did not agree with some of the decisions made about the phone, according to two people who were present at the meeting. In particular, he was disappointed in its battery power.

https://9to5google.com/2020/05/13/google-pixel-camera/

I wonder how much influence and decision making was left between the two. I think the Pixel 5 will still have heavy involvement from Levoy but it will be the last. Potentially other phones could end up being able to achieve better images through the same techniques with adobe?

Associate
Must admit this is tempting at the price to finally upgrade from the 2XL, but I really just wish it had a telephoto lens as well as the ultrawide. Having said that, I have seen some fairly impressive results from the 4a with its super res zoom, so would it be that much of a miss?

Lots of people are complaining its still using the same sensor as the 3/4, which itself is just a very slightly upgraded version of the one in the 2, but I’m more interested in real world results than raw specs. I think by now the camera has been bested by the Samsung Note 20 Ultra, but that phone is so expensive its unlikely I’d consider it... and its too big really for me...

Which brings me onto my next point, apparently its going to be practically the exact same size as the 4a, and this is refreshing, these giant phones are unwieldy to handle, and if I really need the benefits a bigger screen brings, I’ll simply use a tablet, laptop, monitor or TV. I can see the benefit of a big phone screen for watching videos on public transport but I wont be doing any of that anyway.

Big battery, wireless charging, 90Hz screen, plenty of RAM, more storage, competitively priced, could be the phone of the year for me. I am just sad about the telephoto lens. Someone tell me that my disappointment in that is misplaced...

Associate
Personally I hope it comes with a big screen. My old phone was 6.7" and felt huge initially but loved the size. going back to a temporary 5.1 is horrendous. I hope 6"+ at least

Back
Top Bottom