Google Pixel 7/7 Pro & Pixel Watch

Soldato
Got myself the Pixel 7 Pro Hazel. Quite happy with it so far.

I initially wanted to get an iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB but that's going for £1,309. No chance for trade in for my Pixel 6.

This Google device was £949 (Pixel 7 Pro Hazel 256GB), minus £240 trade in, minus a £150 uplift Carphone Warehouse promo, and I got the device for £559. Then I should be able to claim the Pixel Watch LTE which has an SRP of £379 (inflated price, considering its feature set, £200 is a more realistic price IMHO) and I think that's a significantly better deal than the iPhone (which still uses the USB 2.0 speed lightning connector).
I know the lightning port is a joke but the rest of the package is making my Pixel 5 look a bit daft. I really enjoyed that phone but my 13 Pro does make it seem quite ‘cheap’

Soldato
Mine sounds hollow when you tap it. My 6 pro did the same.
Compared to the Mate 20 Pro, the Pixel 7 Pro certainly feels less solid. The screen feels more like plastic where the Huawei felt like solid/premium glass.
I can confidently say in my experience that Huawei build quality is far superior to Google. Despite that, I'm happy with this phone. Will it last as long as the old handset? Probably not. I got 4 years out of the Mate 20 Pro. 3 years might be pushing it for the P7 Pro. I am fairly confident this time round I won't be the victim of the US president sanctioning Google and moving me to the Harmony eco system. Fairly.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've tried to line it up with the reflection of my monitor so it's visible, definitely doesn't look right

Though some here also having something similar

Mine also flexes but I don’t get any popping noise. My OnePlus 7t also flexes, but I never noticed it as it’s not as prominent. I’ll be interested to see what they come back and say, if they consider that a fault or not.

Associate
Mine also flexes but I don’t get any popping noise. My OnePlus 7t also flexes, but I never noticed it as it’s not as prominent. I’ll be interested to see what they come back and say, if they consider that a fault or not.

After explaining the problem to another representative from Google a minute ago, they are asking if I have tried a software reset to see if that fixes the problem.

This is a hardware issue.....facepalm.

Associate
After explaining the problem to another representative from Google a minute ago, they are asking if I have tried a software reset to see if that fixes the problem.

This is a hardware issue.....facepalm.
I would try and find some other people with a Pixel 7 or 6 and compare and potentially refund whilst you still can. I have a Pixel 5 and I can't tell if I have the same "hollow sound" issue or not. You might just find the build quality isn't up to your standards which would be a shame!

edit: Just stuck my phone under the light and can't make it flex at all like yours from the video so you at least know it's not a thing from the 5 range.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've tried to line it up with the reflection of my monitor so it's visible, definitely doesn't look right

Though some here also having something similar

I've just tried this with my One Plus 7 Pro, lined up a reflection in the screen and pressed down and the screen depressess in the same way as yours. Had this phone 3 years and never noticed it before.

Associate
I've just tried this with my One Plus 7 Pro, lined up a reflection in the screen and pressed down and the screen depressess in the same way as yours. Had this phone 3 years and never noticed it before.

I'm not too bothered about that, it's more the audible click I get if this is done near the middle of the phone, be it top or bottom. It really feels like a manufacturing defect which I'm worried will lead to display problems later down the line. I don't need much pressure at all for this to happen. Google now think it's faulty, so sadly I'm back on my Poco F3 and the Pixel is being returned.

Last edited:
Associate
Flexing is what stops the glass breaking. If it was 100 percent solid, it'd break more easily

I get that and understand it flexes because Google have only bonded it on the edge of the display, so there's nothing actually supporting it in the middle. What I'm not happy with is the clicking. It clicks using my thumb on the fingerprint sensor just a little firmer than usual - That doesn't seem right to me.

I'm due an exchange but I'm not sure if I just want a refund, I really don't like this flex/hallow sounding screen that Pixels use, much prefer the gluing to the chassis that everyone else does, just feels more solid and premium IMO.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depending on where you press the screen my S10 flexes a bit.

P7 Pro flexes a bit more in comparison, no clicking or popping noise though

Associate
Not sure if this helps at all with seeing what's under the screen:

Pixel-7-teardown.jpg

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBIZtPrxvs

My Sony XZ Premium flexes a little when you look at a monitor reflection on it.

I've just ordered a Pixel 7 Pro yesterday, so hopefully this isn't a problem!

Associate
Not sure if this helps at all with seeing what's under the screen:

Pixel-7-teardown.jpg

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kBIZtPrxvs

My Sony XZ Premium flexes a little when you look at a monitor reflection on it.

I've just ordered a Pixel 7 Pro yesterday, so hopefully this isn't a problem!

I think they all flex but mine was particularly bad. I could have lived with it if it wasn't for the popping noise. I checked my partners Pixel 6 and hers flexes but you need to push much harder and it doesn't flex as much as my P7 Pro did.

Associate
Have people who ordered direct from Google and included a trade in had their kits to return it yet?

I havent heard anything regarding the Trade In.

Back
Top Bottom