Google Pixel 7/7 Pro & Pixel Watch

Associate
Anyone else finding the telephoto lens to be quite poor?

I've been playing with the cameras quite a bit and on the whole they're the best I've seen on a phone but for some reason the 'super zoom' at x6 is sharper than a x5 shot using the telephoto optics, which is just weird. Seen a few YouTube videos stating the same as well.

Soldato
I haven't played about enough with the camera but I have noticed the night/low light quality to be vastly superior to my Mate 20 Pro. Macro mode is probably on par, if not slightly better, although the Huawei camera app is better in my opinion.

In other news, in 24 hours the watch battery dropped to 39%. Stuck it on charge while I hopped in the shower and it's now on 68%.

Man of Honour
Anyone else finding the telephoto lens to be quite poor?

I've been playing with the cameras quite a bit and on the whole they're the best I've seen on a phone but for some reason the 'super zoom' at x6 is sharper than a x5 shot using the telephoto optics, which is just weird. Seen a few YouTube videos stating the same as well.
IIRC people found similar with the 6 Pro and it was something to do with it not actually using the expected lens if it decided conditions weren't perfect.

Associate
IIRC people found similar with the 6 Pro and it was something to do with it not actually using the expected lens if it decided conditions weren't perfect.
Hmm, I was using it outside in bright sunny conditions, so I'd be surprised if it didn't use it.

Hopefully just a bug and they'll fix it in an update.

Associate
Google are the worst at shipping phones - delivery has been moved three times now. Now being shipped 20-24 October

Ordered on the 8th October, why launch a product that you have very little stock of?

Soldato
Going to be returning my Pixel 7 Pro too, simply not enough to convince me to switch away from Apple at this moment in time.

Pros:
- Photo camera is better than 13 Pro max, better dynamic range but not a huge amount
- Some of the features like Live Caption are incredibly accurate and could see a use case for this in many occasions

Cons:
- Video whilst improved still not on par with the 13 Pro Max, looks good on the phone but when you play on a big screen there is quite a bit of noise/graining.
- Not as smooth/polished as iOS. Found the phone to have a fair bit of micro stutter in between apps and scrolling, almost as if there was a delay for the 120hz to kick in.

Overall thoughts:

A great phone for those already using Android but for someone trying to move away from the Apple Ecosystem there just isn't enough there to warrant the move IMO. Had higher expectations for the watch but it's got the usual 1st gen bugbears which I'm sure will be fixed in the future. Simple things such as setting your phone to do not disturb you would think the watch automatically does this too but no, you have to do this on the watch as an additional step.

Wanted to give this a try as I did fancy a change/new gadget syndrome but it's made me realize how polished all round iPhone/Apple Watch is. iOS isn't perfect by all means but Apple are very quick to address any bugs/issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been trying out some macro shots. I need to make sure I'm utilising the capabilities of the P7 Pro but so far it's about the same as the Mate 20 Pro under the same light. In a couple of hours I'll have more light in this office so will try again.

y4mlYSZ4JT3MtuCNU06EPzl3PWLAzoDHOQhVfOzjb3RpzbAV6JMj1CVvDMiIhTMjq6iTZOdy5o9kfagRmcebBkzFdxOtomkJY9rv6gcbFIwn4-5nf_5PJu2xhh6gvUNw4Ha63QPyHZlfAwyJmoguWyAAUOYXAXPmDbmJNuFFy6rpY2vOCpQQNUmultLDL-sbm38

Associate
I'm now looking at the Pixel 7 Pro and wondering is it worth it over the Samsung S22+ (I'm not interested in the S22 Ultra).

The battery bulge thing with Samsung is a little concerning, but it's supposed to have an excellent fingerprint reader an this is important to me. Is the Pro 7 better in this respect over the Pro 6?

I'll need to check out the low light photos as the 6 Pro didn't look great. I've got good reception in general so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Soldato
I'm now looking at the Pixel 7 Pro and wondering is it worth it over the Samsung S22+ (I'm not interested in the S22 Ultra).

The battery bulge thing with Samsung is a little concerning, but it's supposed to have an excellent fingerprint reader an this is important to me. Is the Pro 7 better in this respect over the Pro 6?

I'll need to check out the low light photos as the 6 Pro didn't look great. I've got good reception in general so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Fingerprint sensor is fantastic on the Pixel 7 Pro. Had no issues with it.
Low light camera is spot on. Really, really impressed by the detail the camera can capture at night with just a table lamp to light up the room.
Macro could be better, but I have a strong feeling that operator capabilities factor heavily in my case.

Associate

I know others have complained about the Fingerprint sensor but for me it's night and day compared to my P6, hasn't failed me yet (with a screen protector), whereas on the 6 it was always hit and miss. Face unlock also works well in good light. Haven't taken any low light pics yet so hard to comment on that one.

Last edited:
Associate
I know others have complained about the Fingerprint sensor but for me it's light and day compared to my P6, hasn't failed me yet (with a screen protector), whereas on the 6 it was always hit and miss. Face unlock also works well in good light. Haven't taken any low light pics yet so hard to comment on that one.
I have to admit, I find the fingerprint reader on my Huawei P20 Pro still being more responsive but it is a physical button and not hidden behind the screen.
For this now being behind the screen and is my first time using one, I honestly dont think its a problem, I need to leave my finger there for what must feel to be an extra 0.2 seconds more, GET THE PITCHFORKS.....

Back
Top Bottom