Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

I've had some strange issues with internet access via cell. The other I had full 4g signal but it occasionally had an exclamation mark and I basically had no internet access.
I tried the connection reset and phone restart.
Wife's on the same network without issue. Started working again some time later.

google case saved my phone and at the same cause i've dropped while cycling.
so sticky i have not fully put it in my jersey pocket wihle cycling.
fell down on concrete road, bounced few times.
Phone is 100%, cse got minimal damage

Got a pixel 8 today. Ordered some LK screen protectors so will have a play when they arrive tomorrow.
There is the offer for the pixel watch 1 or the pro buds after 14 days from purchase and I'm thinking of the watch as I have an old Samsung fit 2 to track my runs. Is the watch over kill? Will have to read some reviews.

Got a pixel 8 today. Ordered some LK screen protectors so will have a play when they arrive tomorrow.
There is the offer for the pixel watch 1 or the pro buds after 14 days from purchase and I'm thinking of the watch as I have an old Samsung fit 2 to track my runs. Is the watch over kill? Will have to read some reviews.

I am going for the watch because i) it's worth more and I haven't yet decided if I will keep or sell the freebie, and ii) I feel sure I would lose those tiny earbuds at some point.

On another note, I am plesased I went back to try the new navigation gestures as I'm getting used to them now and finding it easier on my handed than reaching down to the three control buttons that are the alternative. Also really liking Quick Cursor to help with not having to streatch my fingers too far across and up the screen. Those together make this large phone much more comfortabtle to use.

Last edited:
Managed to smash my 6a on Sunday, so squeaked into the trade in deal just in time to get £203 back for that, which with cashback made the upgrade to an 8a cost about £285. It's arrived and I'm really happy with it - feels much snappier and cleaner, and even though it's almost an identical size the shape and design makes it feel much more premium. I've stuck it in a Ringke case, though, after my smashing incident. I never use cases, and am already not loving that aspect of it - think it's only a matter of time before I risk going bare!

Anyone have Bluetooth issues with the Pixel 8?

Just upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S21 and the volume on all my Bluetooth headphones and speakers is noticeably quieter and also seems to struggle with bass and often has background hiss?

I've enabled dev options and turned off absolute volume limiter, set AVRCP to 1.6 (from 1.5), disconnected BT devices, rebooted, joined devices back and turned off call (leaving just media) and it might be slightly louder (but it's hard to tell) but certainly nowhere near as loud as I could get the S21 to go? I'd say max now is about 70% of the S21? Device is up to date and brand new so unlikely to be faulty.

Last edited:
No issues here with Bluetooth volume across a range of 3 BT headphones I use.

With the S21 anything above about 80% was really loud, like I couldn't sustain it for very long. With the Pixel it just seems to be stuck at 'safe volume' even when max. I've got my BT Sony speaker up to 100% right now and that's about 60% of the S21 volume.

With the S21 anything above about 80% was really loud, like I couldn't sustain it for very long. With the Pixel it just seems to be stuck at 'safe volume' even when max. I've got my BT Sony speaker up to 100% right now and that's about 60% of the S21 volume.
Interesting. I've not had to max any of my headphones on the pixel and I do like it fairly loud at times

Anyone have Bluetooth issues with the Pixel 8?

Just upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy S21 and the volume on all my Bluetooth headphones and speakers is noticeably quieter and also seems to struggle with bass and often has background hiss?

I've enabled dev options and turned off absolute volume limiter, set AVRCP to 1.6 (from 1.5), disconnected BT devices, rebooted, joined devices back and turned off call (leaving just media) and it might be slightly louder (but it's hard to tell) but certainly nowhere near as loud as I could get the S21 to go? I'd say max now is about 70% of the S21? Device is up to date and brand new so unlikely to be faulty.

Max on my headphones is as loud as I'd ever imagine going, but it's not crazy loud.

hmmm

So I can get
  • Pixel 8 256gb for £414 after trade in of my S21 Ultra
  • Pixel 8a 256 for £269 after trade in
    Pixel 8 Pro for £619 after trade in.
On current offers the 8a seems like a no brainer......Any comments?

I bought my 8a on Wednesday for 510 EUR inc. (432 GBP) from a brick and mortar store with 3 year warranty. As soon as I bought it Amazon ES (Prime) are now (Today) selling the Pixel 8 pro for 587 GBP (692 EUR inc.).

If you look at the EU Google store there are deep cuts to the 8 Pro so I would go for the 8a and upgrade (if you want) to the 9 Pro when it appears after Summer.

If you are in the UK and can't see nice deals, I think they are incoming for the 8 Pro IMHO.

I am very happy with the 8a, I whacked Android 15 Beta 2 onto it and its pretty snazzy. I prefer the plastic back to the 8a but wish the main screen glass was the higher end Victus.

Last edited:
First week done with the Pixel 8 and I have to say I am very impressed. The camera is obviously a huge step up from a OnePlus 9 and the battery life has been exceptional. My only 2 gripes and probably common ones are the time on the top left of the home screen that I can't remove and opens the calender and the search bar at the bottom.

In the camera app is there a way to get the lens button? That was one thing the old OP9 had and was handy when in the camera app. Now I have to go to home and open the lens on the search bar or take the photo and go to photos.

Still liking my P8P, but feeling a bit uncertain about the need for a camera lens protector. The camera bar has a lot more glass covering the camera apparatus than in any other phone I've owned, and even though my case has a small lip, it looks like it could be vulnerable to picking up micro-scratches over time being such an exposed area.

I put on an Omoton camera protector, but it seemed pretty brittle and cracked within a few days (and was a PITA to remove). Do other P8 owners use camera glass protection? How's the glass with scratches?

(I have heard some alarming reoprts of the camera glass just spontaneously shattering on the P7 and P8 series, but I guess a protector might not help with that issue anyway.)

First week done with the Pixel 8 and I have to say I am very impressed. The camera is obviously a huge step up from a OnePlus 9 and the battery life has been exceptional. My only 2 gripes and probably common ones are the time on the top left of the home screen that I can't remove and opens the calender and the search bar at the bottom.

In the camera app is there a way to get the lens button? That was one thing the old OP9 had and was handy when in the camera app. Now I have to go to home and open the lens on the search bar or take the photo and go to photos.

Yeah, I had the same initial gripes about those two issues on the home screen and was thinking "hang on, I thought this device was supposed to be super-customisable!"

I have built my home screen around them now, thought, and actually appreciate the assistant notification at the top since it pull things form my calendar and tasks to display on the home screen which is actually quite useful. The search bar I can defiintely live without and it's annoying when I try to use the display all open apps gesture and accidentally open the search.

Not sure what you mean about the lens button in the camera. Is that the link to the Lens app you mean?

Back
Top Bottom