Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Soldato
Rethink the GG route for the sim. They use o2 but given bottom priority.

If ee is good for you the take a look at 1p mobile. They have Full access to EE.
ok thanks for that, I'm on o2 classic payg, they keep jerking me around because they don't sell payg anymore and want everyone off it, but I know the network works here (three and vodafone don't get any signal).
So I may as well try giffgaff for a bit and see how it goes, can always switch again.
I used giffgaff ages back and they were ok, only left because they put up prices and I had very low usage.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do people do about chargers these days? afaik the Pixel 8 will come with a cable but not a plug.
Is my old S10 Lite charger likely to work, or should I be ordering one?
If so, should I buy from Google, or is there a better option?

Man of Honour
What do people do about chargers these days? afaik the Pixel 8 will come with a cable but not a plug.
2 Pack USB C Plug Fast Charge, 20W USB Type C and USB Wall Charging Plug Adapter UK for iPhone 15/15 Plus/15 Pro/15 Pro Max/14/14 Pro/14 Pro Max/13/13 Pro/13 Pro Max/12/12 Pro Max/SE 2020/11 Pro,iPad https://amzn.eu/d/8TvLStu

We've got a couple of these in the house, really handy that you can plug a usb c and usb a cable in at the same time and give me rapid charging on my 8 pro

Soldato
PPS capable chargers will give the fastest speeds.

Spotted this deal
VOLTME USB C Plug 30W, Type C Plug GaN III, USB Plug Adaptor UK USB C Charger Plug PD3.0 & PPS, Fast Charge Plug for iPhone 15 Pro Max, Galaxy S21/ S21+, iPad Pro, Pixel, White https://amzn.eu/d/1BEOV9D

Associate
Well it's turned up and it's quite an upgrade from the normal 6.
I was quite confused as to why in the Nest app all my camera's looked all stretched and pixelated. After some digging in the phone settings I found the screen resolution was on "High" instead of "Full Resolution" That fixed it.
Crazy how it's set to that out the box.
Not messed around much but the camera both video and pictures is amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, one thing I didn't know, but found out when trying to use my headphones this morning is that the Pixel phones won't output audio over a standard USB-C to 3.5mm jack adapter. I found out you need a dongle with a DAC for that to work. Bit annoying.

Does it matter too much what type or brand of USB-C DAC adapter I get? 16-bit? Any specs I should look for. I'm not a huge audiophile to be fair, but don't want it to sound too bad.

Soldato
Observations from a few days of Pixel 8 (switched from S10 Lite), mainly just getting set up so far:
- P8 gets hot, while charging, and while processing anything. S10L didn't at all. Main disappointment so far.
- P8 had easy set up, basically just the google account and off you go, much easier than with Samsung.
- P8 having stock android is amazing. Avoiding Samsung bloat was a main reason I chose P8 (instead of S24FE probably) but I didn't realise just how much bloat there was.
- P8 is quite a bit smaller, but feels heavier somehow, it's quite a bit thicker. They are the same weight, I weighed them. It fits better in my pocket.
- P8 being smaller makes quite a big difference to text size, text is tiny. Chrome has settings to change text size but they don't change this forum. Tried Firefox but same issue. I'll have to get used to it.
- P8 official case is excellent. I'm usually a naked phone guy but I'll try to get 7 years out of this to make the most of 7 years of software updates so I'm taking extra care of it.

Soldato
I got an Anker charger. Charges very well but then I also have the stand charger as well. I keep an Anker charger in my work bag in case I need to top up when I'm out but rarely use it.

Man of Honour
Not sure if I'm losing the plot but it seems like possibly since this months update that now when I pick my phone up and the screen comes on I then have to tap the screen before the front camera activates for facial unlock. I'm sure this used to just come on when the screen did.

Anyone else noticed this or am I just going mad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom