Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

Soldato
I had very few issues with the 6 Pro one and absolutely no issues with my 7 Pro.
My 7 Pro seems on par with my OnePlus 7T. Absolutely fine, other than unlocking in the dark, no face ID and the FPS being a bright, but first world problems. I paid way less than a Samsung or iPhone flagship so I expect to have some things less than perfect.

Soldato
This is a demo of the Pixel 6 Pro fps I did back in 2022 showing it works just fine. Not superb, but not as bad as some made it out to be.
Tbf, it shows it works fine for you and you won't really know how bad it can be for others. There are sometimes I have to give up and use the PIN on my Pixel l6. That's pretty bad. No screen protector and I think I even have my thumb registered twice now. I think it's quite personal though, I've had similar issues on a OnePlus device in the past. Maybe my prints are harder to read?

When it does work (which honestly, is most of the time) it is rather slow.

Also, it seems much quicker using my print on a banking app. Why is the OS slower than a 3rd party app?!

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
Does anyone buy or even not buy a phone on benchmark scores? I fully understand this forum but come on it's a phone? :D I guess people can play PoGo quicker?
Yeah I do comparisons on gsmarena, the benchmarks are a useful indicator of how the phone performs. Don't need my phone to be #1, but don't want last gen performance for current gen money either.

Soldato

Pixel 7 Pro
Single Core: 1407
Multi Core: 3384

Samsung S23
Single Core: 1880
Multi Core: 4981

So A nice boost up from Pixel 7 Pro but basically a gen behind in terms of performance.

Was the case when the Pixel 7 was released and can't say I've found the performance and user experience lacking. Better battery life wouldn't go amiss though.

Soldato
Surely they have become less useful since CPUs have additional likes like Tensor/Neural Engine etc
No idea what those are. As a not particularly phone-savvy person I assume the benchmarks are a reasonable estimation of performance and whoever made the benchmarks considered what's important to test and what isn't.

Soldato
No idea what those are. As a not particularly phone-savvy person I assume the benchmarks are a reasonable estimation of performance and whoever made the benchmarks considered what's important to test and what isn't.

Google/Apple have parts of the CPU that will do AI/Photo stuff so a general CPU benchmark won't show the full potential.

Associate
I have a P6 from launch as my phone and an iPhone 13 for business use. Both are still working as needed, so as with the recent iPhone 15, I'll most likely be sitting this one out.

I'm keen to see the final pricing, but besides 'shiny new thing', these annual updates are all pretty underwhelming, which I guess is to be expected really.

Soldato
I see. I put the responsibility on the benchmark people to make new benchmarks.

They can try but I don't see how they'd make full use of it as Google/Apple design these parts to suit their own needs.

IMO benchmark on phones are pointless, they don't translate into real world use, vendors have been known to cheat these programs. Didn't Samsung/OnePlus boost their CPUs when they had seen x benchmark application running??

Back
Top Bottom